Been a great start! Civil war relics and Hellen Keller!

bigstemz

Banned
Got out a few times this year already. Not a ton but a few times. Mostly been hunting my parents old 1700 place and also go permission to hunt some historic property at a major university. Got a indian penny at my parents and the pin. I dont have a pic of the back but the stick is intact. After doing some research the only thing i can find is that there was a huge eye doctors convention held in 1925 where hellen keller spoke, this pin could be to that convention. ??? Id actually enjoy input if anyone can help. Went out yesteerday to the college grounds and in the woods i found the oldsmobile badge to start off. Looks to be 1920 or 30s off the radiator. Then it got slow untill........ union officers buckle!!!! w00h000. I laughed when i dug it up, was only an inch down and never expected it! Been getting lots of CW relics here in pa the past two years! It still need a good cleaning, so i will post pics of it cleaned later on

hh

Attachments

• badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 687
  • shot of 3.jpg
    shot of 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 671
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 642
  • officer buckle.jpg
    officer buckle.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 646
Did Helen Keller actually "speak" at the convention???:laughing:

Just kidding. Those are awesome finds man. Im in the Optometry business, that convention pin is really cool. Would look even cooler displayed in the office..:cool:

Helen Keller was an advocate for the Lions Club Foundation. The Lions Club supports a charity called Save-Sight, or Gift of Sight where they collect old perscription glasses and donate them. Thats probably where that pin originated from. That truly is an sweome relic man.

Here's a link I found:
http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/about-lions/mission-and-history/our-history/lions-history-hkspeech.php

Wolf it looks like they had the convention in Ohio in 1925. The house it was found at was owner by an old doctor of some sort. It's very possible the pin was in Ohio at that convention where Hellen Keller spoke on the importance of protecting eye sight. I found it in eastern pa.. . . . So far I've been unable to locate another of this type online. Anyone who could point me towards a source?

Good finds, I like the eagle plate.

Digger, my dad and I unbent it some! I was so worried it would snap in half! Luckily it did not. It is no where near flat, but a lot better than it was! I literally was freaking out :lol:

heres a pic of the back of the pin. sorry for the fuzzy pics they were taken with a ipad

Attachments

• back of pin.jpg
    back of pin.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 506
Digger, my dad and I unbent it some! I was so worried it would snap in half! Luckily it did not. It is no where near flat, but a lot better than it was! I literally was freaking out :lol:

Congrats on the nice finds!
I have broken several 19th century copper items trying to bend them back into shape. The metal does not have any "give" and is brittle after being 100+ in the ground. I wonder if anyone has a tried and true method of bending copper/brass/bronze back into shape? Maybe applied heat?
Anymore, I just leave them bent.

Back
Top Bottom