Civil War Ohio find...Union Breastplate!

TECTONATOR

Round on the Ends & Hi in the Middle = OHIO
It was a rainy weekend with warm temps...65deg in January! CaptainClad and I ventured out for a couple hours Saturday afternoon. Fields are a muddy mess, so we checked out an old homesite in the woods that we've had our sights on for some time. Owner was more than happy to let us hunt it.
We thought we might find some old coins. Didn't find any. However, after about an hour, I got a solid penny signal. Three inches down I pulled this round disc out. At first I thought it was some kind of a mason jar lid, but when I turned it over and saw the Eagle, I knew I had something special. Wasn't until I got home & cleaned it up that I reaized I had a Union Civil War breastplate! Bronze with a lead backing. I've found CW buttons before and a soldier's heel plate once, but this is by far the best CW relic I've ever found!
I also found an iron Eagle claw foot clutching a glass marble...like would be on old Victorian furniture. Also found an oil lamp base. I've found lots of these before, but none in this kind of condition. All it needs is a wick and I think it would work like new. Also found a couple buckles. First real hunt we've had this year...not a bad start!
For those who deal with CW relics often, what is the best way of cleaning the breastplate? So far, I've only rinsed it off in the sink.
Thanks for looking! :)

Attachments

• shield1.jpg
    shield1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 3,191
  • shield2.jpg
    shield2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,896
  • lamp1.jpg
    lamp1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,680
  • lamp2.jpg
    lamp2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,791
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,808
Awesome find!!Like the marble clutching foot too!You just don't find stuff like that on furniture made today:lol:

Awsome find. There are several ways to clean it. Two of the easiest are 1. Soak in vinegar for a couple of days or 2. Soak in olive oil for about a month.

Last edited:
Awsome find. There are several ways to clean it. Two of the easiest are 1. Soak in vinegar for a couple of days or 2. Soak in olive oil for about a month.

Thanks for the advice! I haven't tried vinegar, yet. I've found that about 20sec in lemon juice does wonders for my copper finds (Indians, large cents).
I have some high-end tarnish remover, too (TARN-X) that does an amazing job with silver, brass & bronze. Only takes about 5-10sec. It made some bronze tokens I had shine like they were brand new!
Don't want to rush into cleaning the plate, though. The olive oil would be the safest, but I don't know if I'm that patient. :) Plus, I have the lead backing to consider. Who knows how it would react with some of the more acidic solutions?

Awesome find! You can clean it as mentioned above, but really, I would just brush it off, and leave it alone. It's easy to overclean civil war brass. You can leave it brown/green, or clean it and you get brown/red. I like my relics like I like my drinks..........dirty. ;)

Back
Top Bottom