What is the best for old coins?

diggerfab

I want to get another machine, In your opinion or experience, what machine should I purchase for hunting old coins in old yards?

thanks in advance

Boy that's a loaded question. Everyone will tell you their favorite detector will be the one and they will be right. but that might wind up being at least 10-20 different detectors. Without making everyone do the detective work and figure out what your experience is and what you are using now, best to tell us.

(Racer 2)

Minelab FBS/FBS2...

Hands down, IMO for deep old coins. For other things, there are lots of machines that will do a great job. But to specifically target deep, old coins?

Minelab FBS/FBS2...

Steve

Difficult question to answer.

If your old home yards were virgin detected,,I would say get a fbs/fbs 2 detector and rock and roll.

But what if the yards have been hunted quite a bit with fbs/fbs2 units?

My answer here would be different.
Like Nokta Impact
XP Deus LF coil
Rutus alter 71
Makro Racer 2

Need a smaller coil too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Good thing is, you know what your old coins ring in as, in the UK we have hundreds of different types of old coins, so our needs are different.
Personally i'd go with the unit that ID's at depth best in around trash, but then everyone else will have thought the same, probably fbs units, so i'd then have to think out of the box and get something that can follow behind and pickup what fbs missed, plenty of choice !

From what I remember traveling through there with my gear once...Canton is a clay kind of soil? Maybe with chips of chert mixed in a bit? Not the deep loam of west Ohio..find somebody in that area thats been hunting it a long time...

If trash or iron infested then Deus. If fairly clean and ya can stand hunting at speed of molasses Minelab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From all the opinions I've gathered on here it will be the garfishlab F600 maxinox that comes out December of 3030

Are you sure the old coins are deep,or maybe your not getting your coil over them,could be none where your at period.I find a lot of old coins no matter where I go,but I’m going places where it’s not picked apart also.I have a Etrac,and most of the coins I find I’m sure a at pro would also,or any midpriced machine at that.And. One of the old coins I find are rarely past 5 inches,I found a 1898 barber dime the other day at about 4 inches,in a yard.
Location is really the main factor,and as much as I agree some machines do things better than others,none will find what’s not there.

Which detector do you have that you feel isn't good enough for finding old coins in yards?
And what is the maximum you would spend? In comparing many of my detectors a dime is detected in air anywhere from 7"-11.5" with the stock coil. The deepest coins I've found in my moderately mineralized ground have been 7".

I recently got a Teknetics G2+. The appeal is light weight, super simple operation. It gets a dime with accurate ID in air at 10", even though it makes no sound at 11". Very stable in disc with just slight unwanted sounds at max sens. Was $699, now $449 new.

Also recently got a Fisher F75 Special Edition (boost/cache) + FA & DST. They dropped the new price to $799, but I've seen used under $500 & got mine used. I haven't fully learned this detector yet as there are thousands of possible setting combos for various situations, it may be too much for my brain.

I still like my AT Pro & there's a huge # of sizes of coils available, both concentric & DD. You just might see a used one under $400. Uses same coils as new AT Max, which is said to be a little deeper. But even my AT Pro got a clad dime at 7" with dime ID on every pass, in moderately mineralized soil that was very dry and hard.

My oldest silver coin dug this morning with the AKA MFD, approx 1189-1215

Buzzing............

Attachments

• 20171022_125245.jpg
    20171022_125245.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 20171022_125233.jpg
    20171022_125233.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 292
Minelab FBS/FBS2...

Hands down, IMO for deep old coins. For other things, there are lots of machines that will do a great job. But to specifically target deep, old coins?

Minelab FBS/FBS2...

Steve

+3 There is nothing as good for old deep coins...

This is only half true and half a myth!

On high conductor coins that have been undisturbed for a long time, id say yes there deep, but not the deepest, but they will give good ID at depth on solo targets.
On ploughed fields, disturbed ground, not anywhere near the deepest.

watch this vid of some top end machines and different size coils on a small silver at 7"-8" deep.

https://youtu.be/p3qeL7iL-tg
+3 There is nothing as good for old deep coins...

Back
Top Bottom