Problem with CTX?

Buellride

Forum Supporter
So went to a 1905 era house today, never been hunted. My CTX was fitted with my 6" sniper smart coil. Got tons of 12-45, 13-45, 12-32s consistently, steady tones...but when I dug all that popped out was clad pennies!!??!!:mad::(:mad::(

I was running the stock "coin" mode with "fast recovery" and "deep", no interference, ground balanced.....has anyone else had their CTX respond this way?

Frustrated because I think I left silver in the ground there....then again I also know that sometimes you need to clear out the clad before you can get to the good stuff.

Thoughts?

I get weird numbers at times too. Dug a walking liberty last week that was giving me penny numbers (12-44). I wouldn't worry about the numbers as much as the tones and even then, digging is the only way to be absolutely sure.

That said, my ctx has been shutting down, blank screening and such quite a bit lately. Although some days, it runs without issue? I'm going to send it in this winter and hopefully, they can get it sorted. Still the best machine I've ever owned and I've found way more treasure with it, than I spent on it!

Yes,I might have an idea. Take into consideration that the Separation mode that you choose will alter the ID. In Ferrous Coin,a silver dime can read 12-44/45 if it's in clean dirt and is 8" or less(typically). In High Trash,a silver dime will invariably hit 12-46/47 at 8" or less in clean dirt. In Ferrous Coin,I had a video of a 9" Walker reading 12/42. I dug it because it was out of my 8" safety zone. The same Walker,in High Trash,will come in at 1-45/46/47. So...the numbers will be a bit different depending on your Separation chosen.
You said it was "ground balanced". Explain your procedure.
Also...run Auto +3 with Fast and Deep both OFF. You need stability in that site.

Yes,I might have an idea. Take into consideration that the Separation mode that you choose will alter the ID. In Ferrous Coin,a silver dime can read 12-44/45 if it's in clean dirt and is 8" or less(typically). In High Trash,a silver dime will invariably hit 12-46/47 at 8" or less in clean dirt. In Ferrous Coin,I had a video of a 9" Walker reading 12/42. I dug it because it was out of my 8" safety zone. The same Walker,in High Trash,will come in at 1-45/46/47. So...the numbers will be a bit different depending on your Separation chosen.
Also...run Auto +3 with Fast and Deep both OFF. You need stability in that site.

Appreciate your insight! What I mean by ground balance was pushing the "down arrow" or "ground balance" on the key pad and raising and lowering the coil.

I was running fast and deep both ON, I will make adjustments per your recommendations. Funny thing is, since moving back to Washington State I have found silver jewelry but NO SILVER COINS!! Strange, and I have been doing this for a bit. Oh, and I have to double check the separation settings as well.

Thank you again!

The only problem with the CTX is, it finds more silver than most machines :lol: hang in there bud! It will all make sense very soon!

Appreciate your insight! What I mean by ground balance was pushing the "down arrow" or "ground balance" on the key pad and raising and lowering the coil.

I was running fast and deep both ON, I will make adjustments per your recommendations. Funny thing is, since moving back to Washington State I have found silver jewelry but NO SILVER COINS!! Strange, and I have been doing this for a bit. Oh, and I have to double check the separation settings as well.

Thank you again!

Buell...also,as far as the Ground Balance goes,I see you are in the state of Washington? MOST situations would dictate that the Ground Balance box remains UNCHECKED. If it is UNCHECKED,then the machine can track the ground by itself,which in almost all cases is superior to setting the ground balance by yourself. The only case in which you would want to CHECK the box and bob the coil up and down as you described,would be if you have REALLY REALLY bad ground and the Suggested Sensitivty number (green number) is in the single digits.
So...hold the "Down" button down for 2-3 seconds to get back to that option and make sure the Ground Balance box is UNCHECKED for right now and keep an eye on the Suggested Sensitivity number to make sure it stays above 10.
Lastly...if the number is in the single digits and you feel as if the Ground Balance done manually would be better,then selecting Ground Coin as a Separation option is what's recommended.

Are you in combined mode? Just realize with any detector depending on the ground you are in and the other targets(good or bad one) near by you can have different readings. I doubt your machine is having any issues.

Irrespective of changes in TID/depth, etc, does your tone change at all? Although i don't own a 3030, I do have the ML FBS tech and tones are the deciding factor over TID, for me.

Irrespective of changes in TID/depth, etc, does your tone change at all? Although i don't own a 3030, I do have the ML FBS tech and tones are the deciding factor over TID, for me.

Yes tone changes on par with my old Etrac (that I got rid of her for the CTX...my old Silver Slayer). I hunt by tone primarily and only use the TID for confirmation of what I am hearing.

Again, I can separate the tones to find the good items...the frustration is when I compare the TIDs with the tone...what sounds like silver is popping out a Zincolian:wow: when I dig.

I will double check all of my setting or create a new one on my Xchange software using the recommendations here as well as my Andy S. book on the CTX.

Thank you again all.

Back
Top Bottom