Air travel

jdfun

This probably has been posted before but I wouldn't know where to look for answers so here it goes....I am traveling by plane next month to Florida can I carry my MD in it bag as a carry on? Thanks Debbi

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

I am also going to check with TSA. I will post what I find out tomorrow

I traveled from Germany to England this month in a charter flight.
With a small suitcase as carry on and my Metall detector +pinpointer.
No Problem at all . At customs they know very well what Metall detectors look like at the screens of the scanners ;):D
Just care to take batteries out of the detector ....and take no digger!
HH
Ramm
PS. :
In order to be really sure,my wife called the german Bundespolizei if Metall detectors were allowed in the luggage.They said it's OK :D

I am also going to check with TSA. I will post what I find out tomorrow

I think that's a good decision (curious what they'll say!), but if you want to minimize risk any further you might also want to check with both airports you're traveling through (outbound and inbound).

While they are theoretically all bound by TSA regulations, there's can be a shocking degree of difference between carry-on screening at different airports (really it can also depend on the individual people doing the screening, but you can't check with them in advance).

Sometimes the super-small local airports in the US have some of the most intense screening I've been through (I've been to 57 countries and the most thoroughly my carry-on was disassembled and dissected was in Latrobe, PA, USA when I was on the way to visit my grandma-- it was declared harmless eventually...).

At the very least, just be sure to arrive with as much extra time as you can spare, so in case you get somebody absolutely determined to screw you over you have the chance to make sure your detector is properly taken care of instead of it being deposited in the hazardous item graveyard...

I contacted TSA they said it should be put under in baggage. They did say that each airline has height and width restrictions. So I am going to pack it with my clothes,no battery, break it down,and pad it really well. The only scoop I am bringing is a plastic scoop.

I contacted TSA they said it should be put under in baggage. They did say that each airline has height and width restrictions. So I am going to pack it with my clothes,no battery, break it down,and pad it really well. The only scoop I am bringing is a plastic scoop.

I just disconnected the rods, wrapped my clothes around it and tossed it into my suitcase. No problems. Like you said, though, Batteries go into the carry on.

I have an RTG Travel scoop. I like it because I can put my headphones in the scoop part, and they get protected VERY well.

Skippy

I have flown with my detector in both carry on, and checked luggage. Had the batteries out, and was never even asked about anything.

Back
Top Bottom