MONTANA, (march update)

Hi from Oregon. I'm planning a trip through Montana around the time of your event, and would love to hear when final dates and other info is announced. I may have missed the dates and exact location on my quick read through the post. Have these been announced?
Thanks much and happy hunting!

Howdy right back at ya!

If you check this thread and its predecessor in the Club Hunts section (both have Montana in the OP), you will be able to see how this has developed.
Dusty RoundUp is organizing the event, so send him a PM of your intentions/interests. He's busy just now, but I'm pretty sure he'll get back to you.

montygarlic

Howdy

Howdy,

Yep, I sent you a PM Gnome.

Call me .

Thanks Monty for being on top of this.
I have been busy,, but today I am waiting on an order from UPS.

Well, we are getting close. so I will definitely get back on top of this.
The date was set for June 3rd and 4th.
I will try to get confimation of everybody that is going to make it.
( I know you are Monty LOL)
And Monty, I scheduled off from Thursday through Sunday, so I can make that rockhounding run with you and your group, on Thursday.
Then I can set up camp on Friday.
Keep in mind, the " LOOP", from my place to Dillon, around the back to Ruby Res, and back to my place , is going to be around 5 hours of driving time.
The soapstone can be picked up in 10-20 minutes.
The Garnets will take a bit of time, an hour or two, but, bring buckets, or I have some grain sacks you can use, and just throw some Garnet filled sand in , and take them to pick through later.
HECK !, That's a good idea, I'll bring some for the kids, and actually anyone to pick through at camp, when and if they get bored.
The birds egg opal, is about 2 hours of time, and I need to contact the landowner still.
Then , closer to home, the "Flourite" is going to take an hour or two.
and the slope it is on , faces west, so we can hit it before the sun goes down, and use the sun to our advantage.
You can look at my specimins, and decide exactly what you want to go get, and we can plan from there.
OH, I forgot about the "Montana Wonderstone", that would take 1-2 hours, theres just so much, a guy gets to wandering looking for "That PERFECT stone"

Ok , I better get, as I'm yappin too much.
Just getting excited I guess.

I will be checking my PM's and this thread more often now.
weekly for sure, but I'll try to check in at least every other day.

Take Care,
Good Luck hunting.
Dusty

Great info, Dusty!

I'll be heading down early in order to help set up camp (before, during or after the 'drive-about').

Attended a Gold Prospecting/Metal Detecting/Gem Collecting/ Rockhounding show in Kalispell this past weekend.

A lot a bling to make the snow-weary eyes brighten!

mg

Just to confirm that Nippip and family is still planning on being part of the mix. Will this be on Friday the 3rd as well as the 4th or was Sunday part of the plan?
Thanks again for all the planning and work!

Thanks Nippip

Thanks Nippip,
I got that all mixed up.

it is set for the 4th and 5th
I just have it in my schedule for me to set up my spot at the lake , on the 3rd.
That way , I'll be ready first thing Saturday morning .

But , its good to hear you are still planning on coming.
So, hows that new detector ? have you been using it ? Finding anything?

Keep in touch.

Dusty

So then, Dusty - How's the flooding outlook for the planned search/camp areas?

The snow pack where we are is calculated to become water about the time of our outing...

Should I bring my river rafting gear?

mg

Lol

LOL,
Boy , it was worrying me some, as of 2 weeks ago , you couldnt get a 4x4 in to the campground.
So I was stressing over a plan B
But, 2 days ago, we got a report from the family out there, that you can get to the lake now.
So, on Sunday, we will drive up , and take a look ourselves.
I want to make sure there isnt snow in the campground itself.

I also need to visit with the landowner .

I will post Sunday evening what I find.

And , you guys should have my number, so feel free to call me anytime..

Pray for warm weather too..

Dusty

Woops

Woops , sorry Monty.

To answer the question,
Flooding isnt a problem, unless Im forgetting a bad spot in the road .

The hunt grounds are high, heck, the old timers knew better than to set up a stage stop in low ground, I would think.
But its definitely higher than the creek bottom , where they mustve kept the stock.

And the Lake / camp area, is higher than the dam? where the water runs out and down the creek.

My worry is that , it might be shady enough to still have snow in the campground.

Heck , we just went Georgetown lake last weekend, to fish, and the dang thing was still froze over.
there was ONE bay, that had a strip of open water, about 75 yards out , and 400 yards long, and there was a million people fishing .
Or so it seemed, LOL actually about 25 - 30 people.
But, for me , listening to people holler and talk while I fish, gets annoying.
LOL

Take care,
Dusty

Uh oh !

Howdy all,

Well, this just sucks,
We went out and met with the landowner, and even though I thought the ground was high enough , for flooding to not be a problem, I was wrong.

Its pretty dry ground , and it is irrigated by a ditch.
Right now there is so much water coming down, that he has the opportunity to really flood the ground.
So, its wet , really wet, and he doesnt want to disturb the soil, with vehicles and us.

I dont know what to say, but its called off for a bit.
he said we can discuss at a later date, but for now, hes wanting to leave it alone.

So, that sucks.
I feel terrible, but I didnt figure this weather would be an issue.

I guess, most of you have my number, so , ???? any ideas? or should we let this ride out till we get some dryer weather, and try it then ?

Any input is great.

Dusty

Well OF COURSE!

Personally, I love fish....:lol:

mg

...the other other white meat. Cute:lol:

If it's any weekend coming up I won't be able to make it. A daughter's graduation party the weekend of the 17th and flying to Denver the following weekend. Sure hope it works out though, I really need a nice weekend adventure.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but are you guys doing anything this year? I am not too new to this and have had my detector for a few years but didn't get too involved with it till now. Seems that it could be a lot more fun if I broke it out more than just the casual camping trips. :):shock:

I enjoyed the read...

Hello Folks,

I happen to stumble across this thread, followed it the whole way, from the original thread to the second, and I'll tell you something... That was a nice read. I was amazed at the outcome. From Dusty looking for Montanans and trying to start a new club; and legitimately concerned about doing it right. To doing it perfectly and finding a whole pile of folks wanting to jump in; and from all over to boot. The excitement in every ones type! The execution of a great adventure as an outcome. Very nice to find such comradery. Nice job Dusty and all. I know... This is almost a year old thread and where have I been... Up None Ya' Creek spending too much time with the High-banker I guess, always something to do. I've Been swinging coil as well also.

Anyhow I'm out of this one... Just wanted to pass my thoughts. Perhaps Dusty could start a Government Fix thread and get the same response? NO NO, just kidding... There is no place for that here. This is our get-a-way from stuff like that and best suited elsewhere. Happy Trails...

evL
[][][]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom