• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Simplex+ USA Waiting Thread

Hordfest

I know I can't be the only one out here frantically waiting for the release of this detector so I thought I would make a thread for people I'm the USA who have pre-ordered or are planning to order to share when they get tracking/shipping notifications or just any news they hear!

I'm brand new to this hobby and decided to buy this model so the wait is particularly excruciating because I can't start detecting until it comes in. Im the meantime, off to watch more YouTube videos! :D

Hordfest said:

I'm brand new to this hobby and decided to buy this model _ _ _ I can't start detecting until it comes in.
So, you're new to this great 'hobby' huh? What got your interest?

What type of hunting do you plan to do? Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting ... Beach Hunting ... Gold Nugget Hunting ... Remote area Relic Hunting ... ???

Have you ever used a metal detector?

What four things were of greatest interest to drew your attention to the Nokta / Makro Simplex +?

I've been at this great sport for quite some time, currently own and use nine other detector models, but also plan to be working a Simplex+ before the year comes to an end. I know what this model should do and how it might benefit me for certain in-the-field applications, but I get curious when newcomers make any first-time detector pick. That's why I ask the above questions.

Hordfest said:

I'm the meantime, off to watch more YouTube videos! :D
There are a LOT of You Tube videos out there. Some can be very helpful and informative. Some aren't so good. And quite a few can lead you astray with poor suggestions when it comes to detector selection or detector use, search coil choices, or even make you think a detector model might be good for applications that it really isn't suited for.

I suggest you watch them with interest, but be open-minded and check out things that might seem 'questionable' that are said or demonstrated.

As for this detector choice, I have good feelings about the Simplex+ because I have been using this manufacturers products for almost five years and have been especially impressed with the build quality, the efforts they put into R&D of the product, and their impressive performance afield. To top that off, they stand behind their product and provide top-notch customer service and support.

When you get it and set out to learn more about the great sport of Recreational Metal Detecting, don't hesitate to share your experiences and ask away as needed. That's what the Forums are for.

Monte

Monte! Nice post, thanks for taking the time to write it and to get me involved. I am happy to answer your questions and to delve into my thought process.

"What got your interest?"

Well I have always been a history guy. I studied history in college, wrote a local history book, and am a Civil War refractor. I have considered metal detecting on and off in the past but finally have the disposable income to dive into it.

"What type of hunting do I plan on doing?"

I'm interested in relic and coin hunting primarily with the flexibility to hunt freshwater beaches and streams in my area. I'm nowhere near salt water so don't need that functionality.

"Have you ever used a metal detector?"

Nope

"What four things attracted me to the Simplex+?"

Probably best to answer this by sharing my thought process and research into metal detecting. I started my journey by googling "best metal detectors" and quickly saw many expensive ones. I changed it to "best beginner detectors" and after reading a lot was deciding between a Garrett Ace model, entry Fisher, or one of the better BH models.

However I wasnt quite comfortable about it because I'm the kind of guy who likes to enter hobby in the mid range. In golf I bought a mod range set, in civil war I bought solid but not exceptional initial kit. I wanted the same in detecting and that's when I discovered the flag ship AT Pro that a lot of people swear by. Unfortunately isn't was out of my price range though and I'm too afraid to buy used unless it's from somebody trusted.

At this point I stumbled on this new model the Simplex+ from a few forum posts and started digging into it. It sounded like exactly what I was looking for for the following reasons:

1.) Mid range quality packed into a more affordable price point, good recovery, discrimination, solid depth detection
2.) Lots of very kind words said about Nokta Makro as a company, being responsive and eager to please the community
3.) Waterproof for any river or stream activity I want to do
4.) New technology! A lot of the other models have been out a while and it seems silly to get several year old tech when such rave reviews gave been coming out about the newer tech from various companies. (Would I buy a six year old computer even if it had great reviews? Probably not!)

So there you go Monte. Hope you don't mind the essay!

Sounds like you did your homework. I'm thinking of getting one myself just because of the cost. It's so cheap , as a backup , if I got 6 months out of it I would be happy. I could just throw it away if it broke. Like some harbor freight tools ! In doing your research though , I would be suspect of anyone claiming to have 10 detectors and thinking this one will do something a little different. Doubtful. If they haven't figured out the 10 they already have , this one probably won't help much either. Unless as a cost effective backup. Those are who I call "Jack of all detectors , master of none ".

Hordfest, a quick reply and very good explanation. Just a caution, if you don't mind, and that is to not get too caught up on some of the comments pertaining to one or two specific models. I read things too often where a poster tends to post more than they actually get out detecting, and in the process they kind of over-hype a particular detector or perhaps exaggerate what it is capable of doing.

Also, just because something comes along that's newer or sports a different adjustment or two, doesn't necessarily make it a better-built, or better-performing detector. As time goes by and you learn to enjoy this hobby more and more, you'll certainly take the opportunity to add one or two more detectors to your own outfit, or want to part with one to get another.

Odds are, a newer detector to you will be different in some ways. But let me assure you, all the newer stuff out there doesn't necessarily make the older stuff inferior. Some of the models that have been around for a while can still provide us with very ample in-the-field performance and resulting success. I guess one translation of this would be to maybe just 'ADD' a model or two now and then, but don't be in a big hurry to part with a proven detector that you have, that you know, and that works well.

I got started in this sport in March of '65 when I built my first Metal / Mineral Locator from a kit. I used home built units until the summer of '68 when I started using a White's GhostTowner BFO, and I have used nothing but manufactured detectors since then. There have been some inferior units I didn't like. Some cheapish units that didn't work well or hold up very well, either. There have been some favorite brands and some inferior and short-lived brands.

I have had some favorite detector models because they were 'simple' yet 'functional' and provided me ample performance. 'Simple,' 'Functional' and 'Performance' are still the three things I always look for in a detector, and have since the early '70s.

Today, I have several older and long discontinued and 'outdated' detectors on-hand that I use in seminars and presentations just to show what we had, how they worked, and sometimes what we lost in performance as they advanced to what is offered today. Those are my 'demonstration' models.

Then I have 9 models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, assigned for my wants and needs, and not all of them are current-production units, either. In my get-serious Relic Hunting Outfit I have a Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX (with the symbol it is pronounced microMAX). This is because all three of these models have provided me with exceptional in-the-field performance when hunting very dense iron-contaminated sites.

If I set out on a dedicated Urban Coin Hunting jaunt for a few days to perhaps a week or so, I have three detectors in my current Coin Hunting Outfit. Those are a Makro Racer 2, Teknetics T2+ and Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX.

Note, too, that for the most part, I keep one specific search coil assigned to each detector model and seldom change coils. If I feel a certain need for a different coil, it might also make sense to use a different detector, so I simply grab the detector & coil combination that serves the purpose the best.

Those two detector Outfits are what I load when I set out on a metal detecting Outing that calls for full-time dedication for a number of days. Otherwise, I also have my 'Travel-Team' or Regular-Carry Outfit of detectors that always ride on the back seat. That way I am always ready for something I might encounter in my daily travels that calls for detecting 'right now!' They can be used for a Relic Hunting site or a Coin & Jewelry Hunting site, and those models include my 2nd Nokta FORS Relic, a modified White's IDX Pro and XP ORX.

Still on the den wall are my Fisher F44 and a trusted White's XLT. A model that I've had a number of (this is #34, if I recall) and the XLT has served me well for over 25 years as I bought my first in June of '94. Last year, even with the other models I have or have had, the XLT w/6½" coil found over half of all the silver coins for the year.

I own quite a few detectors, and I have spent ample time with them and learned them well. If it is in my personal Outfit, it is because it works well and I have a use or purpose for it.

One more to add to the list, when it gets here, is the Nokta / Makro Simplex+. I will add it as a regular-travel unit and for those times I will be hunting freshwater or saltwater beaches.

I think you're going to like the Simplex+, and it will be more functional or more versatile when they get a smaller-size search coil for it. I hope that doesn't take too long.

Monte

It's not new tech, it's very old tech wrapped in a new waterproof housing for small money.

If you hold on a bit longer you can have the latest new tech in the multi freq Minelab Vanquish.

4.) New technology! A lot of the other models have been out a while and it seems silly to get several year old tech when such rave reviews gave been coming out about the newer tech from various companies. (Would I buy a six year old computer even if it had great reviews? Probably not!)

Hordfest, a quick reply and very good explanation. Just a caution, if you don't mind, and that is to not get too caught up on some of the comments pertaining to one or two specific models. I read things too often where a poster tends to post more than they actually get out detecting, and in the process they kind of over-hype a particular detector or perhaps exaggerate what it is capable of doing.

Also, just because something comes along that's newer or sports a different adjustment or two, doesn't necessarily make it a better-built, or better-performing detector. As time goes by and you learn to enjoy this hobby more and more, you'll certainly take the opportunity to add one or two more detectors to your own outfit, or want to part with one to get another.

Odds are, a newer detector to you will be different in some ways. But let me assure you, all the newer stuff out there doesn't necessarily make the older stuff inferior. Some of the models that have been around for a while can still provide us with very ample in-the-field performance and resulting success. I guess one translation of this would be to maybe just 'ADD' a model or two now and then, but don't be in a big hurry to part with a proven detector that you have, that you know, and that works well.

I got started in this sport in March of '65 when I built my first Metal / Mineral Locator from a kit. I used home built units until the summer of '68 when I started using a White's GhostTowner BFO, and I have used nothing but manufactured detectors since then. There have been some inferior units I didn't like. Some cheapish units that didn't work well or hold up very well, either. There have been some favorite brands and some inferior and short-lived brands.

I have had some favorite detector models because they were 'simple' yet 'functional' and provided me ample performance. 'Simple,' 'Functional' and 'Performance' are still the three things I always look for in a detector, and have since the early '70s.

Today, I have several older and long discontinued and 'outdated' detectors on-hand that I use in seminars and presentations just to show what we had, how they worked, and sometimes what we lost in performance as they advanced to what is offered today. Those are my 'demonstration' models.

Then I have 9 models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, assigned for my wants and needs, and not all of them are current-production units, either. In my get-serious Relic Hunting Outfit I have a Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX (with the symbol it is pronounced microMAX). This is because all three of these models have provided me with exceptional in-the-field performance when hunting very dense iron-contaminated sites.

If I set out on a dedicated Urban Coin Hunting jaunt for a few days to perhaps a week or so, I have three detectors in my current Coin Hunting Outfit. Those are a Makro Racer 2, Teknetics T2+ and Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX.

Note, too, that for the most part, I keep one specific search coil assigned to each detector model and seldom change coils. If I feel a certain need for a different coil, it might also make sense to use a different detector, so I simply grab the detector & coil combination that serves the purpose the best.

Those two detector Outfits are what I load when I set out on a metal detecting Outing that calls for full-time dedication for a number of days. Otherwise, I also have my 'Travel-Team' or Regular-Carry Outfit of detectors that always ride on the back seat. That way I am always ready for something I might encounter in my daily travels that calls for detecting 'right now!' They can be used for a Relic Hunting site or a Coin & Jewelry Hunting site, and those models include my 2nd Nokta FORS Relic, a modified White's IDX Pro and XP ORX.

Still on the den wall are my Fisher F44 and a trusted White's XLT. A model that I've had a number of (this is #34, if I recall) and the XLT has served me well for over 25 years as I bought my first in June of '94. Last year, even with the other models I have or have had, the XLT w/6½" coil found over half of all the silver coins for the year.

I own quite a few detectors, and I have spent ample time with them and learned them well. If it is in my personal Outfit, it is because it works well and I have a use or purpose for it.

One more to add to the list, when it gets here, is the Nokta / Makro Simplex+. I will add it as a regular-travel unit and for those times I will be hunting freshwater or saltwater beaches.

I think you're going to like the Simplex+, and it will be more functional or more versatile when they get a smaller-size search coil for it. I hope that doesn't take too long.

Monte
Excellent post on why you own so many detectors. I have hunted a long time as well, but not quite as long as you. Never understood why so many some have. I have never owned more than 4 at one time. Ok now....

What performance issues do you think have been lost from older detectors , that are NOT available in some of these newer high tech ones ?

You also mention you have 3 detectors you bring for a coin hunting jaunt. Why not have your best 1 ? Unless you have maybe different coils on each ?

I can see why someone would have 4 or 5 detectors and like 10 or12 different coils. When it comes down to it , there's only 2 kinds of hunting really. Dirt or soil , and water. Sure , there are the conditions: salt , minerals , sand , strata , snow , rocks , mud , sludge , etc. But now it seems just a few detectors are all that's needed to hunt all of this and maybe a couple different coils.

Thanks for your insight.

I too am waiting for the new Simplex+. Ordered two of them actually. One for me and one one for my wife.

We did a lot of beach and field detecting years ago but stopped when we moved down south.

Now we plan on doing some fresh water lake detecting and some field. The Simplex looks like it will be a decent unit at a great price so we both can enjoy the hobby again.

Of course, we’d like to get it yesterday but realistically if we get it by Christmas that would be fine.

Not sure if the strained relations between the US and Turkey might affect things.

It's not new tech, it's very old tech wrapped in a new waterproof housing for small money.

If you hold on a bit longer you can have the latest new tech in the multi freq Minelab Vanquish.

Dear ghound, you are trying really hard on every forum and every page to hurt the sales of our Simplex+.. . So you actually know the capability of this detector without using it? I am so sorry to say this but your new tech is not a competitor if people are looking for a true waterproof unit. In addition, with all due respect, members should really be looking at comments from actual users and not somebody who have been very biased about our brand since day 1 and posts a negative comment each time our product or brand is mentioned.

I've no interest in stopping sales of any detector, and i only post on 2 or 3 forums, not every forum so i don't know where your coming from on this point?
I have pointed out that it's not new tech, if it's was new tech I'm sure Nok/Mak would be making sure folk knew about it.
As for being biased, I've owned a Mak/Nok and countless other machines, and i have flagged up issues with many of them, including my current use Equinox.

Dear ghound, you are trying really hard on every forum and every page to stop the sales of our Simplex+.. . So you actually know the capability of this detector without using it? I am so sorry to say this but your new tech is not a competitor if people are looking for a true waterproof unit. In addition, with all due respect members should really be looking at comments from actual users and not somebody who have been very biased about our brand since day 1 and makes a negative comment each time our product or brand is mentioned.

Last edited:
I too am waiting for the new Simplex+. Ordered two of them actually. One for me and one one for my wife.

We did a lot of beach and field detecting years ago but stopped when we moved down south.

Now we plan on doing some fresh water lake detecting and some field. The Simplex looks like it will be a decent unit at a great price so we both can enjoy the hobby again.

Of course, we’d like to get it yesterday but realistically if we get it by Christmas that would be fine.

Not sure if the strained relations between the US and Turkey might affect things.

Nice man! You will have to let me know how you like it when it comes in. Hopefully it's before Christmas though because I emailed Nokta Makro last Thursday night and got this reply:

"Thanks for showing interest in our product.
We already announce that we will ship the simplex to our USA distributors this week so they will receive the goods the next week.

Best regards!

Burak Tunc
Regional Sales Representative"

I have pointed out that it's not new tech, if it's was new tech I'm sure Nok/Mak would be making sure folk knew about it.

It depends on one's perspective, a lot of us here are using machines like the F75, the T2 and other machines which have been around for a decade or more. They have proven themselves to be great machines but the tech is over 10 years old.

Having a waterproof machine with update-able firmware, rechargeable batteries and built-in wireless is new tech for us. It's not multi frequency, I know..... it's also not highly customizable like the nox 600 or 800, so yeah, you get what you pay for.

My question is, on an average hunt, how many targets is a single frequency machine leaving behind that a multi would detect. I do believe from what I've seen that multi's have an advantage over single frequency - but how much? For a relic hunter like myself is it a game changer or a slight improvement in target recovery? Is it worth paying double the price for a multifrequency machine? I honestly don't know the answers, I'm just throwing it out there.....

I preordered the Simplex not necessarily to replace my T2 but to open up opportunities to hunt those colonial & civil war sites on the coast here that are now under several feet of water due to tidal flooding and erosion. Those sites have been off limits for me and I've been wanting to hunt them for many years. I expect this machine is going to help me do that ---- hopefully.

Would I be better off spending twice as much on a nox or waiting for the Minelab Vanquish release, perhaps but I've made the decision to go with this machine.

ghound said:

I hate to say "you're wrong" ... but I will anyway. The Simplex +, and the physical packaging and included adjustment features, ARE, or at least many of them, 'NEWER' technology. You state that it is "very old technology" and much of that depends on a person's perspective of 'old' and 'very old.' To ME, you're wrong. Often I agree with some of your posts, but not this time.

Before I take any6 detector, new, old or very old, out to various hunt sites, I evaluate them using several Test Scenarios' that I've been working with for a few decades. The 'Test Scenarios' and by 'Test Bed' give me a fair idea of what to expect from a detector and/or search coil when I do take them afield for a reality check.

Quite a few detectors, referring to the newer or more modern variety, do not do all that well, especially when dealing with challenging tests involving one iron nail, four iron nails, as well as other things and a short stack of 5 silver halves on 1 silver Morgan dollar.

I also have 6 or 8 found targets in similar containers and hidden from view. I challenge myself as well as others I invite to evaluate a detector to try and audibly classify the targets, good-or-bad, and once they have a guess they can refer to any visual VDI response to try and confirm their guesses. A lot of newer devices once again don't seem to work all that great.

I have four 'very old' detectors on-hand, dating from the latter '60s to about '76, that I use in full-day seminars to show what we had, how they worked, and where we came from to get where we are today. Some things they can do surprise folks who are newer to the hobby and have 'modern' metal detectors.

In my personal detector line-up I have 'modern' detectors and some that you would think were 'very old' I guess. They are all single frequency or selectable multi-frequency, and they all serve their purpose quite well, and often match or better the performance some of my friends get out of their simultaneous multi-frequency detectors.

I do some casual Coin Hunting, but the majority of the sites I work are maddening to many who come along to experience dense iron contaminated relic hunting sites. I have proven superb performing devices I rely on.

With everything I have, I plan to have a Simplex+ in my Outfit soon because it is new, has some excellent features, it's waterproof for some beach hunting ,ad very affordable.

ghound said:

The $199 stripped-down Vanquish 340? I don't think so. The top-dollar $549? It seems a bit lacking to me. Interesting, I admit, but it's not in the "entry level" price category.

And if somebody wants to wait for it, they could spend their time trying to find the Ground Balance adjustment control. That's easily found on the Simplex+, which is submersible whereas the 540 Vanquish, costing double the money, isn't a waterproofed detector.

Burak joined the forum to get helpful information. I tried to share some without intimidating him, and mainly asked about his interest in the hobby, what type of detecting he planned on doing, and he shared other helpful info about him and what his plans are. I'm sure if he gets a good start, finds something inspiring, he might get more involved in this activity and, in time, be able to invest a little more to upgrade.

Monte

KOB said:
Excellent post on why you own so many detectors. I have hunted a long time as well, but not quite as long as you. Never understood why so many some have. I have never owned more than 4 at one time.
This is a truly 'fun' outdoor activity, and all my life-long detecting has presented a wide-range of site environments and challenges to deal with. I like to be prepared to take on any of them. Three or four detectors that provide something a little different to complement each other can be a good set-up. If pressed, I could trim my current Detector Outfit to two to four models, but why? I like all that I have, I use all that I have, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses so I can pick-and-choose to use what works the best where I go. All the while enjoy the unit and have fun.

KOB said:
Ok now....

What performance issues do you think have been lost from older detectors, that are NOT available in some of these newer high tech ones
If doing side-by-side comparisons I might bring up one or two extra, but mainly their ability to deal with iron nails, or with crown-type bottle caps and rusty steel washers. Things that annoy a lot of people these days, and for a while now, using the "modern-technology" detectors.

KOB said:
You also mention you have 3 detectors you bring for a coin hunting jaunt.
As for today, my selected Coin & Jewelry Hunting Outfit or Team includes: A Teknetics T2+ w/5" DD, Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric and Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric.

KOB said:
Why not have your best 1?
For all-around Coin Hunting, there is no 'best' detector. If I am running around making quick, hit-and-run stops at bark-chip or sand-filled tot-lots/playgrounds, I'm grabbing the Silver Sabre µMAX. Light, handy, and very efficient working those places.

I might want to use Target ID for some location I come upon with a smaller-size coil, or just use the audio Tone ID like I usually do, and for that the T2+ is useful. Maybe a private yard or a sports field would have me grabbing the Racer 2 w/7" Concentric. Different sites, different needs, and an assortment of detectors that are ready-to-grab.

KOB said:
Unless you have maybe different coils on each?
I do. Each detector in my Outfit has a primary-use search coil mounted. Taking 3 or 4 detectors along gives me instant detector/coil selection w/o having down-time to change coils. I do have an Accessory Coil Tote in my den, and sometimes it travels with me if I plan to be gone for a week or so on a detecting outing.

KOB said:
I can see why someone would have 4 or 5 detectors and like 10 or12 different coils.
Way back in the mid-'70s I got tired of switching search coils when I changed from one site to another if they called for it. It was easier to just have an extra detector already equipped with a different coil. So my current 'bad habit' got started about 45 years ago.

KOB said:
When it comes down to it , there's only 2 kinds of hunting really. Dirt or soil, and water. Sure, there are the conditions: salt, minerals, sand, strata, snow, rocks, mud sludge, etc. But now it seems just a few detectors are all that's needed to hunt all of this and maybe a couple different coils.
Water Hunting:
• Saltwater Surf or deeper
• Wet salty sands
• Dry sand at a salty beach with different levels of dry sand atop damp to wet to saturated salty sand below the surface.

► All three types could have neutral to mild to moderate to severe black sand or other high mineral composition in the sand, or soil, or small gravel making up the beach.

• Drier alkaline desert type soil environment.
• Wetted alkaline desert type soil environment.

• Freshwater surf or deeper
• Wetted beach
• Dry sand at a freshwater beach that could have different level of damp to saturated ground below the surface.

See ► above.

Dirt, or other surface material away from a water body:
• Sand or loose to compacted Dirt can have various amounts of iron mineral make-up.
• Pea Gravel to smaller-size rocks, like found in a parking lot, are what I consider to be a "Mineral Body" and they can impair the EMF.
• Rocks, of sufficient size (such as 6"X9"X2" thick) are much like flatter rocks used to build a structure wall, chimney, etc., and I call them an "Intense Mineral Body" and they can easily eliminate target detection if a metal is under them.

KOB said:
Thanks for your insight.
I hope I didn't confuse you with anything. If you find a mineralized rock such as I referred to, about 6"X9" and 1½"-2" thick, can you grab one of your detectors and, in a motion-based Discriminate mode, get a good hit on a US 1¢ penny laying on the ground directly under the center of the rock? I can most of the time. Give it a try.

Monte

Monte, folk can dress it up any way they like, it's a fixed single frequency detector, same as hundreds of other detectors, but in a waterproof housing and at an entry level price.
And being fixed a fixed freq it lacks the sensitivity to certain targets that higher fregs offers, and it lacks the ground filtering in mineralized soil that multi freq offers.
Thats why i suggested he hold on and try the new multi freq from Minelab, as it also comes in at an entry level price which to now has been unheard of, yes it's not fully submersible but has a waterproof coil so can still be used underwater to a certain depth.
Here's a simple vid of the difference between 30khz and 15khz on a gold coin in tough dirt, you don't want to missing these type of targets, even with an entry level detector!

https://youtu.be/rYy-tCWFV14

[QUOT3E=Monte;3157477]I hate to say "you're wrong" ... but I will anyway. The Simplex +, and the physical packaging and included adjustment features, ARE, or at least many of them, 'NEWER' technology. You state that it is "very old technology" and much of that depends on a person's perspective of 'old' and 'very old.' To ME, you're wrong. Often I agree with some of your posts, but not this time.

Before I take any6 detector, new, old or very old, out to various hunt sites, I evaluate them using several Test Scenarios' that I've been working with for a few decades. The 'Test Scenarios' and by 'Test Bed' give me a fair idea of what to expect from a detector and/or search coil when I do take them afield for a reality check.

Quite a few detectors, referring to the newer or more modern variety, do not do all that well, especially when dealing with challenging tests involving one iron nail, four iron nails, as well as other things and a short stack of 5 silver halves on 1 silver Morgan dollar.

I also have 6 or 8 found targets in similar containers and hidden from view. I challenge myself as well as others I invite to evaluate a detector to try and audibly classify the targets, good-or-bad, and once they have a guess they can refer to any visual VDI response to try and confirm their guesses. A lot of newer devices once again don't seem to work all that great.

I have four 'very old' detectors on-hand, dating from the latter '60s to about '76, that I use in full-day seminars to show what we had, how they worked, and where we came from to get where we are today. Some things they can do surprise folks who are newer to the hobby and have 'modern' metal detectors.

In my personal detector line-up I have 'modern' detectors and some that you would think were 'very old' I guess. They are all single frequency or selectable multi-frequency, and they all serve their purpose quite well, and often match or better the performance some of my friends get out of their simultaneous multi-frequency detectors.

I do some casual Coin Hunting, but the majority of the sites I work are maddening to many who come along to experience dense iron contaminated relic hunting sites. I have proven superb performing devices I rely on.

With everything I have, I plan to have a Simplex+ in my Outfit soon because it is new, has some excellent features, it's waterproof for some beach hunting ,ad very affordable.

The $199 stripped-down Vanquish 340? I don't think so. The top-dollar $549? It seems a bit lacking to me. Interesting, I admit, but it's not in the "entry level" price category.

And if somebody wants to wait for it, they could spend their time trying to find the Ground Balance adjustment control. That's easily found on the Simplex+, which is submersible whereas the 540 Vanquish, costing double the money, isn't a waterproofed detector.

Burak joined the forum to get helpful information. I tried to share some without intimidating him, and mainly asked about his interest in the hobby, what type of detecting he planned on doing, and he shared other helpful info about him and what his plans are. I'm sure if he gets a good start, finds something inspiring, he might get more involved in this activity and, in time, be able to invest a little more to upgrade.

Monte[/QUOTE]

I would like to clarify something quick. My name is not Burak, that was a quote from a Nokta Rep who emailed me after I filled out their contact us page. Carry on!

Also ghound, I might be new but there is more to metal detecting technology than simply breaking it down to single frequency vs multiple. Also, where I live I won't really encounter highly mineralized soil very often and I'm nowhere near salt water so I think a new single frequency that does it's frequency well will be a good fit for me.

I'll deal with multis if I end up liking the hobby enough to buy a Nox 800 or something similar down the road.

Which ever machine you go for, best of luck with it.

I would like to clarify something quick. My name is not Burak, that was a quote from a Nokta Rep who emailed me after I filled out their contact us page. Carry on!

Also ghound, I might be new but there is more to metal detecting technology than simply breaking it down to single frequency vs multiple. Also, where I live I won't really encounter highly mineralized soil very often and I'm nowhere near salt water so I think a new single frequency that does it's frequency well will be a good fit for me.

I'll deal with multis if I end up liking the hobby enough to buy a Nox 800 or something similar down the road.

I used my wife as my excuse for ordering the Simplex + and of course she saw right through that and knew that I was pre-ordering it for myself. I currently use an E-Trac and would like to try something a little lighter and waterproof.

I'm an atpro guy mainly because of it being waterproof, If this machine comes close to being as good as the hype, I will probably get one for the wife. She occasionally joins me with her BH Lonestar, except for water hunts.

Back
Top Bottom