Excal II 1000?

SandHunter

Greetings,

I'm interested in purchasing an Excal II for my wife as a gift. We currently have a couple of Sov GT's and Dual Fields, and hip mount both. Easy access to the controls on the Excal would be important irregardless of how we choose to mount it. Any info or suggestions as to learning curve, accessories etc... would be greatly appreciated. I'm told that the Anderson Shaft if a good upgrade. A little worried about the durability of the Excal, based on what I've read on this and other forums. The Sov GT's and the Dual Fields have had no problems to speak of so far. We solely hunt on the beach, dry, damp and in the water.

Thanks,
SH

Shaft

Anderson shafts are a bit pricey,i use www.rodsbyplugger.com is located in California,shaft,knob guard, and he can make you a 9 inch stand,he also sells them on Ebay,as far as the Excalibur 2 goes, and the Excalibur Blue models,i have had no problems,the gt is a good machine however,it is NOT waterproof,but if you are just hunting the beach, and not the water,it is a good choice, do to interchangable coils,but your gonna pay for the extra coils,with that i might add,you will be up their with the price of a Excalibur 2,think i answered all your ?s Happy Hunting Earl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Earl,

Yes I'm familiar with the Sov GT and have interchangeable coils that I use depending on what I'm doing. In my book the Sov and the Dual Field are great machines. We like the idea of a waterproof VLF machine.

Thanks for the Plugger plug.

The CZ-21 is another awesome water machine, I had a Sov XS 2 pro but have always liked the way CZ's sounded off on targets and pinpointed, depth is about equal on the 2 units.

Df

I use the Surf Pi Df also,but for a beach that has alot of trash i prefur the Excalibur,also the drags alittle less in the water than the Df,both machines are good,good luck

Is the CZ-21 a VLF or a PI?

VLF, its basically a waterproof version of the CZ land machines just as the Excal is basically a waterproof Sov but like all CZ's is dual freq so they handle the salt sand incredibly. As far a depth and performance the Fisher CZ21 and Minelab Excal are about the same in depth and ability to handle salt so it comes down to which you think is more balanced and which tones you like more. I would try them both out. They cost about the same also.

I use the Surf Pi Df also,but for a beach that has alot of trash i prefur the Excalibur,also the drags alittle less in the water than the Df,both machines are good,good luck

Its funnny you say that as I found the Excal in the water felt like an oar against the current and the DF just glides thru smoothly...

Its funnny you say that as I found the Excal in the water felt like an oar against the current and the DF just glides thru smoothly...

I've been a little frustrated with the buoyancy of the DF in the water, although I've persevered.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these. http://andersondetectorshafts.com/what-s-new/

Also considering a Fisher CZ-21. If anyone has input on this machine, I'd like to hear it.

I've been a little frustrated with the buoyancy of the DF in the water, although I've persevered.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these. http://andersondetectorshafts.com/what-s-new/

Also considering a Fisher CZ-21. If anyone has input on this machine, I'd like to hear it.

One of my friends has the CZ20 and likes itits plenty deep... I have no issues with the DF coil underwater as I hold the detector where the S in the handle is... you will be giving up depth with the Excalibur but that is your choice... look around the forums some have modified their DF coils so they don't float...

http://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/what-s-new/

Sorry Sand... I didn't click your link and saw you posted the link already ;) Looks pretty good andsure beats buying another detector...

DF vs excal Drag

Well maybe i need to take back that statement Craig,i only have hunted 3 times with the Df,i need to take both machines out on a hunt to compare,so untill i do this, i withdraw that statement,have you hunted the same day with the Minelab Excalibur 1000, and the Whites Surf pi Df 12 ? `This spring i will do this,are you running the Df with the stock shaft or a strait shaft set up ? I would guess from what you said their is not much of a difference,just waiting for spring here,i here you guys got hammered up their with snow,getting 3 to 6 here,tonight,you know what that means for you :roll::lol:,atleast your making the big bucks with that plow!!!!!!

Well maybe i need to take back that statement Craig,i only have hunted 3 times with the Df,i need to take both machines out on a hunt to compare,so untill i do this, i withdraw that statement,have you hunted the same day with the Minelab Excalibur 1000, and the Whites Surf pi Df 12 ? `This spring i will do this,are you running the Df with the stock shaft or a strait shaft set up ? I would guess from what you said their is not much of a difference,just waiting for spring here,i here you guys got hammered up their with snow,getting 3 to 6 here,tonight,you know what that means for you :roll::lol:,atleast your making the big bucks with that plow!!!!!!

I use the stock shaft Earl... I have more important things to spend my plowing money on than a straight shaft for my PI.... ;) I like it just the way it is...we had 5 to 6 inches this morning and another 10 to 15 coming tonight if you can believe the forecasts... this snow has cut into my free time hence no extra time to detect :(

Snow /CFM-Ct-pi

6 to 10 now,it was 3-6 lol,Craig i didn't waste anytime using the stock shaft,my strait shaft came fast,and indead was no waste of money,www.rodsbyplugger.com,he makes great shafts,i have 5,4 for my minelabs,and 1 for the Df,hopefully the winter will end for us in 4 to 6 weeks,keep the plow down,and the wheels rolling Earl :yes::roll:

Back
Top Bottom