More Whites Surf PI Pro Questions

hobbes_lives

Forum Supporter
I was able to use the machine weekend-before-last for a few hours in the water at Daytona. (I found a whopping 4? and a handful of trash.) I used it at Daytona again last Saturday, but got ran out by the storms after only 15 minutes. :mad:

Anyway, with my limited experience, there are a few more questions that I have about this machine and its setting. I want to make sure I am using the machine to its fullest capabilities, and that it is working properly. I will primarily using it in waist to chest deep water at the beach.

First, in the manual, it states that you should be able to adjust the tuner to hear a low hum. Mine sounds more like, for lack of better words, a vibrating buzz. I can only get a smooth tone when the gain is almost all the way down to the off position. At presets, it sounds like it's reverberating and buzzy. (Imaging a fly or gnat flying around your ear.) I can adjust the threshold until I just hear it, but it is still not what I would call a low hum, more like an intermittent buzz. Is that typically how this machine sounds?

Second, regardless of how low I have the gain turned down, when I am in the surf and am sweeping from shallow to deeper water, I'll hear the tone get louder. When I am sweeping from deep to shallower water, the tone gets quieter, and goes away completely if I have the tuner set to where I just hear the tone with no movement. I realize this is probably just the S.A.T. circuit adjusting for the changing conditions, but is this what you experience also? Is this normal? It seems like this could mask a target if you are not really listening carefully.

Thanks for helping out. For a machine with only two controls, I sure have allot of questions, huh? I really just want to make sure that I understand what I am doing with this machine, and that it is working properly. I know there is allot of good advice on this forum. :yes: Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Everything you described sounds like you have my Surf PI pro in your hands. :D
As you stated the tone coming up in deeper water is the SAT adjusting. You may be sweeping a little fast. Try slowing down a bit. It gives the SAT a little more time to adjust. Also, if you are carrying your scoop on the side where the sound is getting louder, it may be picking it up. I have found that if I keep my scoop slightly low and forward the PI will pick it up. I try to keep it up on my shoulder, but as you have probably found, that isn't always easy in the waves. It makes me long for a strong composite scoop and handle that the PI doesn't pick up.
As for masking targets, the sound could mask a really deep target I suppose, but with mine, when I sweep over a target the signal gets much stronger and louder (even when the target is down deep).
I set the gain as high as I can without it getting unstable, then adjust the volume with the tuner. On the gain knob, that is usually about a quarter turn beyond the factory mark, or as you are looking at the knob about the 2 to 3 o'clock position (I turned my control box around so I could see the knobs). As it says on the control box, "a little tremble is normal". So it will not be a steady tone.
The more you use it, you will notice different targets make a different sound. One thing that I did was put a few sample targets on the wet sand and listened to the different sounds they made. It helped some, but with the PI I dig all targets anyway.
You will also notice when there is a thunderstorm in the area, a flash of lightning will give you a quick crackling sound. I too was stopped short on Saturday due to a thunderstorm in St Augustine :shock: Got 4 quarters, 4 dimes 3 nickels, 3 pennies and a pair of sunglasses along with the usual junk. Hope this helped some. I?m sure there are other PI users out there with more experience than I have that can add to or even take away from this. HH

Everything you described sounds like you have my Surf PI pro in your hands. :D
As you stated the tone coming up in deeper water is the SAT adjusting. You may be sweeping a little fast. Try slowing down a bit. It gives the SAT a little more time to adjust. Also, if you are carrying your scoop on the side where the sound is getting louder, it may be picking it up. I have found that if I keep my scoop slightly low and forward the PI will pick it up. I try to keep it up on my shoulder, but as you have probably found, that isn't always easy in the waves. It makes me long for a strong composite scoop and handle that the PI doesn't pick up.
As for masking targets, the sound could mask a really deep target I suppose, but with mine, when I sweep over a target the signal gets much stronger and louder (even when the target is down deep).
I set the gain as high as I can without it getting unstable, then adjust the volume with the tuner. On the gain knob, that is usually about a quarter turn beyond the factory mark, or as you are looking at the knob about the 2 to 3 o'clock position (I turned my control box around so I could see the knobs). As it says on the control box, "a little tremble is normal". So it will not be a steady tone.
The more you use it, you will notice different targets make a different sound. One thing that I did was put a few sample targets on the wet sand and listened to the different sounds they made. It helped some, but with the PI I dig all targets anyway.
You will also notice when there is a thunderstorm in the area, a flash of lightning will give you a quick crackling sound. I too was stopped short on Saturday due to a thunderstorm in St Augustine :shock: Got 4 quarters, 4 dimes 3 nickels, 3 pennies and a pair of sunglasses along with the usual junk. Hope this helped some. I?m sure there are other PI users out there with more experience than I have that can add to or even take away from this. HH

Back
Top Bottom