Museum project

TrpnBils

I have a question for members who detect with historical preservation in mind. Do you approach a site any differently where preservation or display is a goal versus just detecting for your own enjoyment?

I've been sitting on this project idea for about 2 months now waiting to hear back from the board of directors at a museum to see whether they accepted my offer of putting together some displays for the museum in return for permission to detect the museum grounds. The museum is an old house built sometime in the 1850s with ties to the Underground Railroad, and it's only been detected one time in 1976 that they're aware of. That person put together a display of about 6 coins and nothing else, but I know that they're still has to be finds there for sure. Who knows how much that person kept, but if the display for the museum is only that much it's kind of pathetic. I'm hoping to get a decent amount of personal stuff like buttons, buckles, or even things like horseshoes and tack.

Most of the area is wide open so I'm planning on gridding, and I'm assuming that this project will be something lengthy and will probably take up my summer. Looking forward to this, and I hope I can do it some justice.

Back
Top Bottom