Iso fossil id

SevenOneSix

Elite Member
Found this in the dump. I was thinking it's Definately a brachiopod but is it pseudoatrypa devoniana or spinatrypa spinosa? Opinions?

20170319_235738_zpspcfcios3.jpg

20170319_235808_zpszu2evt01.jpg

20170319_235826_zpsy9movwvt.jpg

I see a lot around shores of Lake Erie , the Penn Dixie site near Blasdell has. A lot of info on fossils . GL ,,,,,HH

Definite brachiopod 210-425 million years old. I'm full of bs including one in geology.

Dave

I figure it's gotta be old. One thing I never got into was fossil hunting. We have some of the oldest fossils here. Im pretty sure for a small fee you can fossil hunt here in Lockport at the quarry. Any other wnyer's ever ever done this before?

I figure it's gotta be old. One thing I never got into was fossil hunting. We have some of the oldest fossils here. Im pretty sure for a small fee you can fossil hunt here in Lockport at the quarry. Any other wnyer's ever ever done this before?

Well, not in WNY. I did spend quite a few years studying and collecting fossils. That's probably a Devonian piece. I specialized in Late Triassic/early Jurassic Paleoflora (plants). Still get out now and then and hope to get back into it in earnest soon. I hunt in a group of formations called the "Newark Super Group". It's the remains of a huge inland lake/swamp that extended from Connecticut to about the top of North Carolina.

im in western ny and we have fossils EVERYWHERE. Its harder to find a rock without fossil activity in some places than to find a plain old rock. Never really bothered to search much because they were so common growing up I didn't think anything of it.

Well, not in WNY. I did spend quite a few years studying and collecting fossils. That's probably a Devonian piece. I specialized in Late Triassic/early Jurassic Paleoflora (plants). Still get out now and then and hope to get back into it in earnest soon. I hunt in a group of formations called the "Newark Super Group". It's the remains of a huge inland lake/swamp that extended from Connecticut to about the top of North Carolina.

We have the Lockport formation here middle silurian/devonian

im in western ny and we have fossils EVERYWHERE. Its harder to find a rock without fossil activity in some places than to find a plain old rock. Never really bothered to search much because they were so common growing up I didn't think anything of it.

Yes so many fossils around here. I seem to find them when i detect and dig dumps

Back
Top Bottom