My Equinox 800 Take (Tests and Commentary)

I've read through all 14 pages but I'm still confused. I'm a total newbie with probably the cheapest metal detector that can be gotten. It has little to no discrimination (only one tone, and no digital display). My idea of a great detector would be one that gives me enough information so I can determine whether to dig a garbage item or not. This detector sounds like it will find tons more stuff than my current MD, which means I will be digging tons more garbage. By upgrading, I'm looking to dig less, not more. Right now, I have no choice but to dig everything.
Also, from looking at the VDI numbers posted (here and in other threads), it seems that coin readings, for example, are all over the place due to depth, type, how worn, etc. If the numbers are all over the place, then what good are they? They don't seem like they mean much to me if a deep, well worn-out coin might ring in totally different from a coin of the same value that is shallow and thicker. Again, I'm a newbie, and I'm trying to make sense of what I'm reading. I'm leaning towards getting a v3i Spectra, as it seems to me that it may allow me to dig less trash, as it can discern the difference between two targets with the same conductivity, yet that are made of two totally different metals. Is the 800 going to have me digging less holes filled will trash?

I've read through all 14 pages but I'm still confused. I'm a total newbie with probably the cheapest metal detector that can be gotten. It has little to no discrimination (only one tone, and no digital display). My idea of a great detector would be one that gives me enough information so I can determine whether to dig a garbage item or not. This detector sounds like it will find tons more stuff than my current MD, which means I will be digging tons more garbage. By upgrading, I'm looking to dig less, not more. Right now, I have no choice but to dig everything.
Also, from looking at the VDI numbers posted (here and in other threads), it seems that coin readings, for example, are all over the place due to depth, type, how worn, etc. If the numbers are all over the place, then what good are they? They don't seem like they mean much to me if a deep, well worn-out coin might ring in totally different from a coin of the same value that is shallow and thicker. Again, I'm a newbie, and I'm trying to make sense of what I'm reading. I'm leaning towards getting a v3i Spectra, as it seems to me that it may allow me to dig less trash, as it can discern the difference between two targets with the same conductivity, yet that are made of two totally different metals. Is the 800 going to have me digging less holes filled will trash?

Alright,
Good question.
To begin with, you will dig junk targets with all metal detectors even the more expensive.

There are things that can affect how well even the better IDing detectors do.
Like orientation of target, depth, ground minerals, Emi, adjacent ferrous or nonferrous objects.

There is not a 100% surety factor ever at all really.
Nickel signals can be tabs.
Dime or penny signals could be copper washers.
Nickel signal could even be gold jewelry.

Since I am in the Equinox thread here. I'll talk about it.
Is is the best overall at IDing targets?
Probably not.

Here's one key thing to remember though,
Before any detectorists can look at ID of a target or listen to a signal, the target first must be located.

Equinox is one of the best detectors wearing a 11" DD coil at locating more worthy finds in nails and trash.
It does IMO give enough needed info ID wise and through listening to tone sound, behavior, nuance to make some very nice finds, even in very challenging circumstances.

So, for how much Equinox cost it does just fine.

When an Equinox user first starts out they will dig more trash, but as they grow with their unit, trash amounts will drop off quite a bit.
Equinox is one of the easiest to run vs performance offered detector made IMO.

A very versatile detecfor that can put smiles on folks faces when used in a wide range of detecting venues.

You do have other choices.
Some will cost more. Some less.

Remember most folks are still new to Nox.
I may have the most hours using than anyone else here. Like 103 hours in the field and over 30 hours testing.

So you need to weigh what folks say based on their time with unit.
Couple months from now (approximately) some of the same folks may indeed be shedding different light on Equinox.
There are some tricks of the trade that can be done with detecfor to help a person avoid junk, or iron.

This thread contains some good info.
The manufacture hasn't provided any like or similar info,,nor has any other individual it looks like besides me.
There are some threads talking about salt water beach hunting. I don't do btw, I did go fresh water beach detecting a few times and reported here what I witnessed.
Equinox again not hard to operate.
It is made IMO so that even a detecting novice can pick up and use and be successful.

Last edited:

I will offer you this bit of advice, if you are truely a newbie then stay the heck away from the V3i for now! I have owned about ever detector model out in the last 6 years, spent thousands and thousands of dollars in search of the "perfect" detector and they just don't exist. A detector is only as good as the operators knowledge of how to run it. I have owned (2) Whites V3i's and can assure you they are NOT a beginner's metal detector. I suggest looking more at one of these models, Garrett AT-PRO or Max, Whites MX Sport, Marko Multi Kruzer, or Minelab 800 (could go for 600 but would spend the extra and get the 800). Those are all waterproof machines, and if you live anywhere near any lakes GET a waterproof machine, the money is in the water!! You have to dig the trash to find the treasure, dig less=find less!

I agree with both the responses above. It's all about (1) seeing what's down there and (2) having some idea of what it is. The Equinox is very good on the first and reasonable on the second. It's a good machine for anyone, including beginners. About all you have to do to get started is select a mode and do the noise cancel and ground balance, and you are good to go. From there, it just gets better. If it's in your price range, it's a good choice.

I have the Equinox 600 which I find a good complement to my Etrac, not as good at ID'ing objects but better at separating small objects (coins and rusty nails) in trashy environments where the Etrac is practically paralyzed.

TNSS, enjoyed reading your observations here and thank you for posting them!

I received the 800 about 10 days ago and was toying with it during Spring Break, no where near as much time as you put on it but close to 20 hrs now.

I agree that Park 2 has been best for my trashy parks, in the Parks 1 program I can’t hear enough to keep me interested for long and Parks 2 seems to run pretty hot which is what I like. I run 22 sens, 50 tone, Multi and speed 6, and it does love low conductors like nickels, haven’t had any EMI issues at all and know what you are talking about when describing sounds like gunning off iron. You can really hear the signal pulsing off he actual target and the EQ is sensitive! Hit several tiny scraps my pinpointer won’t even sound off on, can slaw and foil as well. Just now beginning to get the ear for it and be able to fade them in amongst the background falsing. Rather hear it and discriminate myself, and you will hear plenty with this detector if you want to...it’s not shy of trying to tell you everything.

Won’t overload either, which is quite different from what I’m used to. Instead throws various ID’s pulsing with depths, seems too much info to handle and process...but won’t blank out like other detectors. Love the tones, except the volume burst going from detection to pinpoint, think they could have evened that out somehow. Pinpoint is a feature I definitely do use with this detector, as the stock round coil doesn’t have rabbit ears like I’m used to to “wiggle back” off the target. The ID can be a little scattered at first, until you actually are on the target which can also be tough since this does detect surprisingly deep...and the depth meter can be off pretty easy as well. 4 inches can have you digging 8 sometimes, and 6 inches might only be 2 and a few inches off to the side so make sure to pinpoint well! For me, the depth seems to be the weirdest part and I’m talking just normal clad, nothing odd or larger shaped throwing the depth reading off that I can tell yet. It’s going to take some getting used to for sure, but yeah...I’m already finding some targets I didn’t before. Probably mostly because the separation is so extreme. 2,3,4,5 targets side by side stacked, mingled on top of each other...you’ll hear them all first sweep and will go back over again slower to pull out the ones you want. It is just that easy, so fast.

Also, that long straight shaft will have you swinging low and wide, easilly broadens my old curved shaft swing pattern by 40% wider without even trying. More efficient and less passes griding. Very light, well balanced but the handle will have your thunb and top hand rubbing the bottom of the display sometimes. Forearms like Mark McGwire would help too, not sure why Minelab thought a 3lb detector would need such a huge armcuff...maybe former CTX users? :laughing:

Anyways, appreciate your time in spent reviewing and testing the EQ for us, TNSS. Really good stuff and much of what you are explaining has already been turned into reality for me.

TNSS, enjoyed reading your observations here and thank you for posting them!

I received the 800 about 10 days ago and was toying with it during Spring Break, no where near as much time as you put on it but close to 20 hrs now.

I agree that Park 2 has been best for my trashy parks, in the Parks 1 program I can’t hear enough to keep me interested for long and Parks 2 seems to run pretty hot which is what I like. I run 22 sens, 50 tone, Multi and speed 6, and it does love low conductors like nickels, haven’t had any EMI issues at all and know what you are talking about when describing sounds like gunning off iron. You can really hear the signal pulsing off he actual target and the EQ is sensitive! Hit several tiny scraps my pinpointer won’t even sound off on, can slaw and foil as well. Just now beginning to get the ear for it and be able to fade them in amongst the background falsing. Rather hear it and discriminate myself, and you will hear plenty with this detector if you want to...it’s not shy of trying to tell you everything.

Won’t overload either, which is quite different from what I’m used to. Instead throws various ID’s pulsing with depths, seems too much info to handle and process...but won’t blank out like other detectors. Love the tones, except the volume burst going from detection to pinpoint, think they could have evened that out somehow. Pinpoint is a feature I definitely do use with this detector, as the stock round coil doesn’t have rabbit ears like I’m used to to “wiggle back” off the target. The ID can be a little scattered at first, until you actually are on the target which can also be tough since this does detect surprisingly deep...and the depth meter can be off pretty easy as well. 4 inches can have you digging 8 sometimes, and 6 inches might only be 2 and a few inches off to the side so make sure to pinpoint well! For me, the depth seems to be the weirdest part and I’m talking just normal clad, nothing odd or larger shaped throwing the depth reading off that I can tell yet. It’s going to take some getting used to for sure, but yeah...I’m already finding some targets I didn’t before. Probably mostly because the separation is so extreme. 2,3,4,5 targets side by side stacked, mingled on top of each other...you’ll hear them all first sweep and will go back over again slower to pull out the ones you want. It is just that easy, so fast.

Also, that long straight shaft will have you swinging low and wide, easilly broadens my old curved shaft swing pattern by 40% wider without even trying. More efficient and less passes griding. Very light, well balanced but the handle will have your thunb and top hand rubbing the bottom of the display sometimes. Forearms like Mark McGwire would help too, not sure why Minelab thought a 3lb detector would need such a huge armcuff...maybe former CTX users? :laughing:

Anyways, appreciate your time in spent reviewing and testing the EQ for us, TNSS. Really good stuff and much of what you are explaining has already been turned into reality for me.

Take this for what its worth since I dont have a NOX yet , but you shouldnt need " rabbit ears " to do the wiggle back pinpointing , only the straight line running through the middle from top to bottom , even if you cant see that you still know its there on a DD coil. The NOX coil may react differently , I dont know yet but you have the center of the coil at the tip and thats what you are pinpointing with. Just writing my thoughts here since I am bored , so dont take this as argument or anything.

So I have a question. I was going to buy an 800 but have been getting impatient waiting and had decided I would buy a 600 locally.

However, now I'm wondering if I should wait for the 800. I am current using an ATP and really wanted the equinox for its ability to hunt the salt. I spend a few weeks per year at salt beaches.

So, is the 800 worth it over the 600? Reading the differences, it sounded like it was a few more frequencies and some additional tweaking.

So I have a question. I was going to buy an 800 but have been getting impatient waiting and had decided I would buy a 600 locally.

However, now I'm wondering if I should wait for the 800. I am current using an ATP and really wanted the equinox for its ability to hunt the salt. I spend a few weeks per year at salt beaches.

So, is the 800 worth it over the 600? Reading the differences, it sounded like it was a few more frequencies and some additional tweaking.

It will depend on what you value.
800 model gets you wireless headphones (not waterproof ) and a headphone module (not waterproof).
Then the 800 model can be run a bit faster speed wise.
And the 800 model has prospecting mode.
And the 600 model lacks 20 and 40khz single frequency operation.
And 800 model offers a user profile to save settings in one hunt mode so you can toggle in and out of quick.
Multi freq is the same on both models with performance differences with available speed settings and iron bias settings.
800 model offers some advanced tone changes/settings.

So, note the price differences and weigh both.
Only you can make your decision.

All I can do is give differences.

I have the 600 and, while I would have gotten the 800 had it been available at the time, and may get it yet after the hoopla dies down and the artificial scarcity ends, there is only one lack I have run into so far that I miss: adjustable backlighting. With the 600, it's either on or off. If there's any light at all, you don't need backlighting (the screen is that good); but a few times, it has gotten dark on me and I've turned the backlighting on, and it's just too bright at night--destroys my night vision. I've ordered some sheets of red film of the type used by astronomers on computer screens in observatories, which should help. Anyway, at present, that's the feature on the 800 that I envy: adjustable backlighting.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I figured I would ask in case there were major enough differences after using them for a while

Great thread and very informative! Not to hijack but I just received my 800 yesterday (The wife was able to snag one for me). This thing just feels great in hand. It is almost like a Deus and CTX mated. I have only played around with it for about an hour or so but wow it just feels "right." I as able to easily match (Park 2, 23 sensitivity, All metal) my Deus in my test garden (something my CTX could not.) It is still early but I am really excited at the prospects of this machine!

Folks may indeed find this test very, very interesting.
Now it is just one test.
And this test does sorta fall in line with how manufacturer described the different detect modes of park 1/2 field 1/2. But masking wasn't talked about in detail.

Here's the pic.
A real live scenario one could encounter.
21c5afd.jpg

See the blue cap there is a clad dime buried under. Dime is buried in neighborhood of 5" deep.
See the small piece of foil off to the left.

Now folks have seen me posting about park 2 being deeper. Yeah it is, but guess what? If all you are using is park 2 especially cherry picking targets. You just might be leaving some nice higher conductors behind.

Okay sweeping more or less down the ruler.
All detect modes were noise canceled and auto GB done over clean ground.
Disclaimer here. I can't say this area is completely sanitized except for the dime and foil.
But the exact same situation is being presented to Equinox in park 1 and 2, Field 1 and 2.

So to begin.
First I checked the scenario in pic with Etrac, fast recovery deep,off. It bangs the dime with 43 conductive no question it's a dig me, stock coil used.

Speed 7 used on Eqinox 800 model for all comparisons.
Equinox park 2
Multi freq, I would never know the dime existed tonally or Id wise period. ID with tone to match 15-17.

Park 1
Nox bust the dime with great tone and ID to boot, 25 and 26s in the window. Sweeping both directions too.

Field 1 bust he dime with great ID and tone to boot. IDs like park 1.

Field 2, no clue dime exist. Remember field 2 in factory disc. I get a real low tone with cursor position 1 flashing when in all metal.

Now using park 2 I did go to 5kha single freq speed 7, I can hear real,good trailing tone on dime when swept. But using 5khz sure didn't give me what park 1 and field 2 did !!

To date this has been the best test I have done IMO.

Last edited:
Note this pic.
v3og2g.jpg

Look familiar? See the clad dime and suspended foil.
This is very similar to the in ground test talked about above.

Guess what.

I get very similar results.
Both field 1 and park 1 multi frequency jump on the dime with tone and ID swinging from both direcrions.
Park 2 yields lower conductive tone and ID approx17.
Field 2 behaves a little differently than in ground test, but still gives me no info to know dime is present.

New pic.
More complicated test.
97iu8k.jpg

Have added more foil,elevated above clad dime.
Sweeping generally in direction of yard stick.
Park 1 and field 1 using multi frequency nail the dime. Stop you in your tracks with any reasonable sweep speed. Speed 7 used in test. ID of higher conductor present too.
Park2 a fail, just gives mid tone
Field 2 big time fail.

New pic.
More complicated test.
97iu8k.jpg

Have added more foil,elevated above clad dime.
Sweeping generally in direction of yard stick.
Park 1 and field 1 using multi frequency nail the dime. Stop you in your tracks with any reasonable sweep speed. Speed 7 used in test. ID of higher conductor present too.
Park2 a fail, just gives mid tone
Field 2 big time fail.

Great tests Dave! What was your iron bias set at on the above three tests? Park1 has factory iron bias at 6...did you leave it at 6?

Great so now you are saying I need to go over all my park spots again in park 1! Lol. I have been using park 2 with some success but this makes me wonder if I missed some coins masked by pop tabs and aluminum trash. Great tests and info TNSS

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great so now you are saying I need to go over all my park spots again in park 1! Lol. I have been using park 2 with some success but this makes me wonder if I missed some coins masked by pop tabs and aluminum trash. Great tests and info TNSS

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe so.

I will share this.
Now this certainly not meant to be a "solves all equations for detecting " in your park or anywhere really.

A Nox user should probably keep in mind realizing the strengths and weaknesses of each detect mode.
So what could a person do.

Seems when you fire up Nox, when a nose cancel is done in one mode, channel is picked, the you can go to another detect mode and do a noise cancel. Again channel is picked. But when you go back to the first detect mode you noise canceled the channels selected originally is still there.
So a person could hunt say in park 2, and let's assume targets even junk ones are sparse. If you sweep a say 15-17 reading target using park 2 you can check with park 1 or field 2 detect mode if you like. A high tone may come through.

User profile mode could be used too.

So some toggling between modes could be helpful.
And it seems park 2 is deepest mode.
So if a person is mindful,using park 2, they just might nab a good find toggling to park 1 on select targets.

I am assuming here though a person would here a worthy target using park 2 albeit its tones/ID out of whack for what the target really is.
This may not be the case.
So use at your own risk.

Maybe so.

I will share this.
Now this certainly not meant to be a "solves all equations for detecting " in your park or anywhere really.

A Nox user should probably keep in mind realizing the strengths and weaknesses of each detect mode.
So what could a person do.

Seems when you fire up Nox, when a nose cancel is done in one mode, channel is picked, the you can go to another detect mode and do a noise cancel. Again channel is picked. But when you go back to the first detect mode you noise canceled the channels selected originally is still there.
So a person could hunt say in park 2, and let's assume targets even junk ones are sparse. If you sweep a say 15-17 reading target using park 2 you can check with park 1 or field 2 detect mode if you like. A high tone may come through.

User profile mode could be used too.

So some toggling between modes could be helpful.
And it seems park 2 is deepest mode.
So if a person is mindful,using park 2, they just might nab a good find toggling to park 1 on select targets.

I am assuming here though a person would here a worthy target using park 2 albeit its tones/ID out of whack for what the target really is.
This may not be the case.
So use at your own risk.
So do you think park 1 would be better for sites littered with modern aluminum trash and park2 for iron???

Back
Top Bottom