Cold and wet English field finds.(12 photographs)

Doug

Elite Member
Local winds in the north taking the wind chill factor well below 0C.

The fields searched are on the tops of hills which overlooks the main Roman road in the area. (Interstate of its day)

Possible Roman farm site on these fields.

Roman coin ID's courtesy of a local detectorist and my thanks to him.

Thanks for looking........Doug.

A very wet and muddy field.
2eIbOM1.jpg

Roman coins.
OG7tTCd.jpg

qk7Gsb5.jpg

Roman pottery bottom right, gunpowder measure middle right
KIfHfOd.jpg

Lead hem weight bottom right.

BK2spYP.jpg

A & B = Crispus Caesar AD317-326.
WyyzxJj.jpg

C= Allectus AD293-296.

D= Constantine 1 AD272-337
sI9UMAm.jpg

E= Marcus Aurelius AD121-180. not 100% sure.
VFRM7Zl.jpg

Medieval dress hook AD1500-1600, broken side/bottom loops.
HvqHucd.jpg

Button St Peter's hospital.
N5e8jE9.jpg

Bbr0gQS.jpg

"St Peter's Hospital, Bristol could be found to the rear of St Peter's church until it was destroyed in the Bristol Blitz in 1940.

A house had stood on that site since approximately 1400 and the hospital was a timbered, gabled mansion. In 1607 the building was bought by a rich merchant named Robert Aldworth who went about completely rebuilding it.

In later years (circa 1634) it passed into the ownership of Thomas Elbridge and later still for a short period of time the building was the Bristol Mint."

Roman seal lid AD100-300 possible coloured enamel inset.
ucFefJR.jpg

Link to Roman seal boxes:

http://romanlocks.com/Seal Boxes.htm

Local winds in the north taking the wind chill factor well below 0C.

The fields searched are on the tops of hills which overlooks the main Roman road in the area. (Interstate of its day)

Possible Roman farm site on these fields.

Roman coin ID's courtesy of a local detectorist and my thanks to him.

Thanks for looking........Doug.

A very wet and muddy field.

Roman coins.

Roman pottery bottom right, gunpowder measure middle right

Lead hem weight bottom right.

A & B = Crispus Caesar AD317-326.

C= Allectus AD293-296.

D= Constantine 1 AD272-337

E= Marcus Aurelius AD121-180. not 100% sure.

Medieval dress hook AD1500-1600, broken side/bottom loops.

Button St Peter's hospital.

"St Peter's Hospital, Bristol could be found to the rear of St Peter's church until it was destroyed in the Bristol Blitz in 1940.

A house had stood on that site since approximately 1400 and the hospital was a timbered, gabled mansion. In 1607 the building was bought by a rich merchant named Robert Aldworth who went about completely rebuilding it.

In later years (circa 1634) it passed into the ownership of Thomas Elbridge and later still for a short period of time the building was the Bristol Mint."

Roman seal lid AD100-300 possible coloured enamel inset.

Link to Roman seal boxes:

That would be something else, to go out and detect and find not one... but a COUPLE of 1700 year-old coins.. And they're in great shape, too! Amazing history there...

Thanks for sharing all of your amazing finds!
I just learned that the Roman coins flip, just like ours, thanks for showing obverse and reverse in that way:D

Brilliant!

Great post, I'd love to be out there with you!
keep up the great posts and i can live vicariously through you!

Wow very cool :shock::lookclose: Amazingly old finds and I appreciate the extra history lesson to go along with it. Sometimes I lose hope knowing how many buyers have been involved in a historical property and what kind of development has occurred. Great work Doug.

Great finds Doug, you really are a dedicated detectorist challenging the
cold winds of this long winter.I had to give up and return to Germany
Because of the bad weather and chilly winds I had no more chances to detect there .But next summer with my wife ,we will hopefully visit the UK again.
All the best, Mike

Wow what a hunt Doug, big congrats! Some REALLY old stuff there!!!

Thank you.

That would be something else, to go out and detect and find not one... but a COUPLE of 1700 year-old coins.. And they're in great shape, too! Amazing history there...

Thank you, I did find more coins, see photograph coming up.

I for one just love the history you put into your post Doug!!!

Thanks Ron.

Thanks for sharing all of your amazing finds!
I just learned that the Roman coins flip, just like ours, thanks for showing obverse and reverse in that way:D

Thank you. My English coin book shows actual size of coins and and rotation arrows to see both sides.

Wow. Nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Doug, Your posts are never boring! Thanks!

Thank you.

Great post, I'd love to be out there with you!
keep up the great posts and i can live vicariously through you!

Thank you.

Right! Well said! Thanks for the wonderful posts of your finds Doug! We can experience the thrill even if we cant be there in person!

Thank you Mr Mud.

Those old coins look amazing!

Thank you.

Very nice as usual Doug! That seal at the end is really cool.....

Thank you. I know of Roman seal boxes but I have never found one so I was unsure of the ID but had it confirmed through a FB group.

Wow very cool :shock::lookclose: Amazingly old finds and I appreciate the extra history lesson to go along with it. Sometimes I lose hope knowing how many buyers have been involved in a historical property and what kind of development has occurred. Great work Doug.

Thank you.

Great finds Doug, you really are a dedicated detectorist challenging the
cold winds of this long winter.I had to give up and return to Germany
Because of the bad weather and chilly winds I had no more chances to detect there .But next summer with my wife ,we will hopefully visit the UK again.
All the best, Mike

Thanks Mike.

Have been out today but bitterly cold again thankfully I found a field out of the wind.

All my clothing today began with the letter 'T'.........Thermal(s).......:D

Man can't say enough about how much I enjoy your post , they always take us way back in history and sure are a pleasure to view. Thanks for the post, but I have to admit I am just a little jealous. :D Thanks for sharing some outstanding finds . Very nice !

Those are great finds I can only wish to find items like that ! Some day I will findo something I am proud to show off. Till then I will stick to finding old rail Road stakes.

Awesome digs there! Also, it is always a pleasure to read your posts because you really take the time to explain each item, most of us have never seen a roman coin, and showing the size really puts it in perspective at how tiny some of them are...
HH!

Back
Top Bottom