Boxes of Halves question

BRJ123

Elite Member
Extremely interested in trying this after reading through this forum. Truly some awesome finds just sitting in the banks...

It seems to be generally agreed upon that you want to have an account at two banks and order from one and use the counting machine at another. I've got that covered.

I am mostly curious about the process & etiquette involved for boxes of half dollars. Do I just stroll on in there and ask for a box of half dollars? Would they get upset if I ordered 2 or 3? How many times a week can you do it?

What seems to be the "limit" in your experiences?

I am mostly curious about the process & etiquette involved for boxes of half dollars. Do I just stroll on in there and ask for a box of half dollars? Would they get upset if I ordered 2 or 3? How many times a week can you do it?

It’s best to sit down with a bank manager before you open an account to discuss the details, otherwise, why bother if you’ll only be denied ordering boxes?

If possible, get the terms in writing. A bank can shut down a roll hunter any time they feel like it, for any reason. One box, or twenty boxes per week, it’s basically up to the manager, or vault teller. Good luck -

The most I’ve ordered at one time is 12 boxes of dimes (had good luck, 6 Barbers, a dozen Mercs and 20-some silver Roosevelts :cool:) Some banks tire of big orders quickly, others don’t.

Extremely interested in trying this after reading through this forum. Truly some awesome finds just sitting in the banks...

It seems to be generally agreed upon that you want to have an account at two banks and order from one and use the counting machine at another. I've got that covered.

I'm finding that it depends on the bank and the tellers there. (And possibly their experience with others who have done Coin Roll Hunting) I was buying from one branch of a local bank... I had been told the manager there was okay with ordering and we agreed on one box a week. A short while later a new manager came in and I was told they could no longer order boxes due to fees. No argument from me.... I now use them as my dump bank lol I have a standing agreement with another local bank/cu who orders me one box per week. They call me when the coins are in and I pick them up quickly. I have also delivered a bag of cookies from the local bakery as a thank you. I still use the other bank as my dump location.
The only way to know how well they will work with you is to ask. The worst they can do is say no. For me ... one box a week is plenty. I could easily hunt more, but the dump is a little more tedious.

It’s best to sit down with a bank manager before you open an account to discuss the details, otherwise, why bother if you’ll only be denied ordering boxes?

If possible, get the terms in writing. A bank can shut down a roll hunter any time they feel like it, for any reason. One box, or twenty boxes per week, it’s basically up to the manager, or vault teller. Good luck -

The most I’ve ordered at one time is 12 boxes of dimes (had good luck, 6 Barbers, a dozen Mercs and 20-some silver Roosevelts :cool:) Some banks tire of big orders quickly, others don’t.

These are accounts I already have at local banks, one has a coin counter and the other does not so I sort of fell into that situation. Would there be any reason I wouldn't want to roll hunt at a place I do regular business?

What is the time delay usually like? Do I give them $500 and then come back in a week or do they order the halves and then I come buy them? or is all of this just dependent on the branch I try?

I'm finding that it depends on the bank and the tellers there. (And possibly their experience with others who have done Coin Roll Hunting) I was buying from one branch of a local bank... I had been told the manager there was okay with ordering and we agreed on one box a week. A short while later a new manager came in and I was told they could no longer order boxes due to fees. No argument from me.... I now use them as my dump bank lol I have a standing agreement with another local bank/cu who orders me one box per week. They call me when the coins are in and I pick them up quickly. I have also delivered a bag of cookies from the local bakery as a thank you. I still use the other bank as my dump location.
The only way to know how well they will work with you is to ask. The worst they can do is say no. For me ... one box a week is plenty. I could easily hunt more, but the dump is a little more tedious.

excellent info, thanks!

Line tellers have nothing to do with ordering coin.
Order your box, it will be in from 2-5 days.
The fastest way for line silver to dry up is to gift your tellers, now you've got them wondering. They already get paid for what they do.
The best thing is to stay mum, do not edumacate the tellers about coins.

Would there be any reason I wouldn't want to roll hunt at a place I do regular business?

What is the time delay usually like? Do I give them $500 and then come back in a week or do they order the halves and then I come buy them? or is all of this just dependent on the branch I try?
Only if they don't place your order, and deliver. You pay when your coin comes in.

Sometimes, they "forget" to order.
Or, another hunter 'poaches' your order. Buys it out from under you.
Parking lot hunters that search in their car, and go back in and dump.

Line tellers have nothing to do with ordering coin.
Order your box, it will be in from 2-5 days.
The fastest way for line silver to dry up is to gift your tellers, now you've got them wondering. They already get paid for what they do.
The best thing is to stay mum, do not edumacate the tellers about coins.

I am not quite sure what you're saying here but maybe I am just misunderstanding. The line tellers don't physically place the orders for the coins I assume, but they are the ones I must ask to get the order ball rolling correct?

Is there a good answer to "what do you need so many halves for?" that would put them off my trail?

I don't trust paper money in the wind?

I am not quite sure what you're saying here but maybe I am just misunderstanding. The line tellers don't physically place the orders for the coins I assume, but they are the ones I must ask to get the order ball rolling correct?

Is there a good answer to "what do you need so many halves for?" that would put them off my trail?

Some people may agree, others not, but my response is that I am looking for unusuals/key dates for my collection. I'm not ignoring their question, and I'm not getting then too interested in looking through literally thousands of coins. ( which they already handle every day as part of their job anyway )

I tell them the truth, saying something like "I collect coins and I'm looking for coins to add to my collection." :yes:

I know the tellers really well and each time that I come back, they ask if I found some cool coins in my last hunt. Without going into too much detail I'll say something like "Yes, I found a couple older ones as well as some for my coin folders." :grin:

Happy Hunting! :D

just an update, i ordered 2 boxes at my local bank on Friday. They looked at me like i was from mars. Teller A had to check with Teller B who had to check with her manager who had to check with a banker.

Long story short someone figured it out and ordered me the boxes but made sure i understood they would have nothing to do with taking them back. They should be here next week.

just an update, i ordered 2 boxes at my local bank on Friday. They looked at me like i was from mars. Teller A had to check with Teller B who had to check with her manager who had to check with a banker.

Long story short someone figured it out and ordered me the boxes but made sure i understood they would have nothing to do with taking them back. They should be here next week.
Nice. Usually it's the vault teller that places the actual coin order. Good luck, and may your silver stack grow!

Good luck with the hunt... should be fun. Post some pics of finds.

Back
Top Bottom