Equinox battery solution

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I have used this battery for the last few months. My equinox drains the stock battery pretty quick, 3 hours I'm down to 1 bar. This battery backup is awesome! It attaches underneath the shaft using the arm/cuff screw. Uses regular charging wire, just wrap the wire around the shaft a few times and connect to charge port. You just let it charge while you detect and pretty soon your back up to 3 bars.

The only downside is that the battery USB port is not water/sand proof so you have to be careful where you set your machine down. I've been very happy with it so far and its saved me 3 or 4 times. Hope this helps anyone having battery issues like I was.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...-minelab-equinox-800-and-600-metal-detectors/

There are lots of cheap battery banks for phones too. Would take some creative mounting, and I mainly mention it because I'm cheap. Didn't see mAh rating for this module so others may have larger reserves as well.

I guess I don't hunt as hard and long as y'all. My Equinox units way-outlast-me on a hunt. I have never completely drained a battery, yet.

If I ever really worried about it on multi day detecting journey, I would simply pack a power bank along.

Still, I never ever drained a nox battery yet. Do y'all really have "dead batts" a lot?

Last edited:
I have used this battery for the last few months. My equinox drains the stock battery pretty quick, 3 hours I'm down to 1 bar. This battery backup is awesome! It attaches underneath the shaft using the arm/cuff screw. Uses regular charging wire, just wrap the wire around the shaft a few times and connect to charge port. You just let it charge while you detect and pretty soon your back up to 3 bars.

The only downside is that the battery USB port is not water/sand proof so you have to be careful where you set your machine down. I've been very happy with it so far and its saved me 3 or 4 times. Hope this helps anyone having battery issues like I was.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...-minelab-equinox-800-and-600-metal-detectors/

There's something wrong with your stock battery. I've had my Equinox for over a year, and have put it through plenty of full and partial charge cycles. Last week I decided to get out of the house and detect for two hours, but when I went to the property I discovered I only had 1 bar left from the last hunt. I figured I'd hunt until it ran out. Two hours later it was time to go home and it was still running.

Last edited:

As for the 42+ dollar battery in the link, less expensive battery packs are widely available. I noticed they're not listing the actual specs, but state it has the same capacity as the internal battery. The internal battery is 5000mAh. You can buy a brand name compact 5000mAh 5v 2A external battery for just under 20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B01CU1EC6Y?th=1

For over 40 dollars they should at least include a short version of the Nox charging cable.

Yeah , don't know what's up with your factory battery. But I used to go all day and it still had juice left. Yours doesn't sound right.

As for the 42+ dollar battery in the link, less expensive battery packs are widely available. I noticed they're not listing the actual specs, but state it has the same capacity as the internal battery. The internal battery is 5000mAh. You can buy a brand name compact 5000mAh 5v 2A external battery for just under 20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B01CU1EC6Y?th=1

For over 40 dollars they should at least include a short version of the Nox charging cable.

Good to know and thanks for sharing! Just have to find a way to mount it, and even better, find a way to make it water proof.

Yeah , don't know what's up with your factory battery. But I used to go all day and it still had juice left. Yours doesn't sound right.

Yea, I know this. Minelab even took a look at it and could not replicate my poor battery performance. They replaced it anyway and it worked great for 6 months. Then it started happening again. Could be a charging issue. Battery backup solved the problem and its fine with me.

Yea, I know this. Minelab even took a look at it and could not replicate my poor battery performance. They replaced it anyway and it worked great for 6 months. Then it started happening again. Could be a charging issue. Battery backup solved the problem and its fine with me.

Does sound more like a charger issue.

Theres a minimum amperage that'll work for Nox charging. Want to say it's 3A but will have to find the doc. I phone 1A chargers are insufficient, for example.

Edit: minimum 2A

Attachments

• equinox charging.jpg
    equinox charging.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 249
Theres a minimum amperage that'll work for Nox charging. Want to say it's 3A but will have to find the doc. I phone 1A chargers are insufficient, for example.

Edit: minimum 2A

I think you are mistaken.
Look at the copy of document you posted - (Item #3).
Some usb on laptops/ desktops only charge at .5 amps.
And this is useable yet it will take longer to acquire full battery charge.

Yeah there's two ranges. The important part may be "Do not use a mid capacity USB charger"

Back
Top Bottom