Minie Ball ID

Jodo_Kast501

Hey guys, I've dug a handful of Minie balls in the last year, but this one has me scratching my head a bit, partially because of its condition. The bottom is solid rather than hollow and it seems to be .50 caliber. Also, note that there is a ring that sits above the narrowed down area. It unfortunately doesn't show up very well in the pictures, but it is there.

Something has been done to the bullet – cut in half and maybe carved? But despite that, I'm struggling to ID the original bullet. Any suggestions are appreciated!

iKXWKPdl.jpg

lxn3Bkkl.jpg

KTSxAjNl.jpg

ENHYYXCl.jpg

The shape is similar to some of the Sharps bullets, but I've got a good measurement of the base (which doesn't seem to have been carved) and it is pretty much exactly .50 caliber. I'm not an expert on these things, but I cannot find a .50 Sharps until after the era of the Minie ball. Also, the base is solid with no cavity, unlike some Sharps projectiles. Most of the solid base Sharps are a bit larger in diameter (.525 and above). I've also wondered if it could be from a Maynard or Smith Carbine.

I sure wish I had the whole thing!

Not sure about the Maynard, but the .50 Smiths usually measure just over .52. I've heard fairytales of a slightly smaller gauge Smith cartridge variant with a longer projectile, but I don't know anyone who has ever seen one. It does look like someone carved on it at some point but it also looks like it may have struck something, or had been struck by something at some point. Whatever it is, it's a great find.

Back
Top Bottom