• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hoping it is a meteorite

SgtDball

I hit this about 8 inches under the wet sand at the beach. Heavily rusted over. thought it was possibly just a piece of junk metal with heavy oxidation over it. So much that it has encompassed smaller sea shells in it.

Been soaking it for over a week in Vinegar an one side is completely black. Probably too early to tell but I am hoping it is a meteorite of some sort. I would not be surprised if it is not.

I figured i would just keep soaking it in vinegar till the shells and stuff fall off. Anyone got any ideas let me know. Either way it is still fun finding weird stuff.

The first 99% difinitive test is for magnetism, even slight magnetism. If it's not obviously magnetic via one just plain sticking to it, try dangling a magnet on a string and moving the rock in question close to it. If it fails the magnetic test then it's literally like 99 percent positive it's not a meteorite. There's a whole section on here dedicated to potential meteorite finds. Might check it out, but I've learned that if you think yoo have a meteorite, you don't. Sorry to be so negative, but I'd prefer practical. :)

Not trying to be a wise guy, but how can a meteorite have shells in it?
Are you thinking it is a conglomeration with a meteorite in it?

I hit this about 8 inches under the wet sand at the beach. Heavily rusted over. thought it was possibly just a piece of junk metal with heavy oxidation over it. So much that it has encompassed smaller sea shells in it.

Been soaking it for over a week in Vinegar an one side is completely black. Probably too early to tell but I am hoping it is a meteorite of some sort. I would not be surprised if it is not.

I figured i would just keep soaking it in vinegar till the shells and stuff fall off. Anyone got any ideas let me know. Either way it is still fun finding weird stuff.

First pic I see what looks like the imprint of a shell

Magnet test.

One side of this sticks to the magnet I have ( it is a pretty large magnet)

The other side not so much.

Does this help? Still using vinegar it is eating away at it slowly.

Back
Top Bottom