• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Waterproofing Your Detector

NCBounty15

Forum Supporter
I'm going to, for the next few days, post pics of my progress on how I will build a waterproof container for my control housing. I will get pics up later tonight but would like to see if anyone else has attempted this colossal feat. (You can post your pics too.)

Basically what I have done is taken a giant tub that held Double Bubble Bubble Gum and cut out a portion of it so that it can fit over my unit. I will later put a clear cut out of plastic over the controls (Made out of a 2 Liter bottle) and heat it to flatten it out. Then I just need to figure out how to attach the two pieces of plastic and make it so that I can operate the settings on my detector. Hints appreciated. HH as always,
NC

[EDIT]: To clear things up, I am waterproofing my detector for use in the rain, not underwater. Thanks

NC... I see alot of people who modify their detectors to use them in the water but it makes me personally scratch my head asking why.. the reason I say that is for the most part land detectors aren't very happy in wet sand especially on a saltwater beach... There are are a few that work ok but generally they are high end machines a good example is the Sovereign GT from Minelab.. I have seen on other board people waterproofing an Ace 250 and I have chuckle because that detector doesn't like saltwater and is noisy in the wet.. Water machines go down alot further than most machines made for dirt.. Don't get me wrong give it a try but I wouldn't want to risk getting water into my electronics its why I have to beach detectors for sand and water...

Detector Pro came out with a beginner priced machine its called the Pirate and it retails around $297 its not waterproof but its water resistant and might be worth a look... you can use it in the water because the electronics are sitting on your head..

Cfmct-Pi............what I meant was not to modify my detector for underwater use, but use in light rains, or steady rains......guess I should have made that clearer. I'll go back and edit that in the earlier post. Thanks for your confusion...:roll::lol::lol:, HH
NC

Pics of step one:

Attachments

• DSCF1865.jpg
    DSCF1865.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,794
  • DSCF1866.jpg
    DSCF1866.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,776
I was wondering about that too, I thought you were planning on dunking the machine in the water, I was thinking a buble gum tub aint gonna hold bak the water, but now you cleared that up, Good luck, I often put a zip lock bag over the control box and hunt in heavy rain....

I'm going to, for the next few days, post pics of my progress on how I will build a waterproof container for my control housing. I will get pics up later tonight but would like to see if anyone else has attempted this colossal feat. (You can post your pics too.)

Basically what I have done is taken a giant tub that held Double Bubble Bubble Gum and cut out a portion of it so that it can fit over my unit. I will later put a clear cut out of plastic over the controls (Made out of a 2 Liter bottle) and heat it to flatten it out. Then I just need to figure out how to attach the two pieces of plastic and make it so that I can operate the settings on my detector. Hints appreciated. HH as always,
NC

[EDIT]: To clear things up, I am waterproofing my detector for use in the rain, not underwater. Thanks

Why don't you get some of that window material that people use to keep out drafts out in the winter and wrap the detector and then hit it with a hair dryer it causes the plastic wrap to shrink and conform to the detector.. it might work and it wouldn't be as bulky as that container...

Why don't you get some of that window material that people use to keep out drafts out in the winter and wrap the detector and then hit it with a hair dryer it causes the plastic wrap to shrink and conform to the detector.. it might work and it wouldn't be as bulky as that container...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but that seems that it would be more of a hassle than having a case ready on a rainy day. The container actually isn't that bulky, and I so far haven't detected in an area with dense brush or shrubs where space is a problem. Thanks for the tip anyway! HH
NC

A clear sandwich bag fits perfect on the meter pod of my MXT. Then I put a clear plastic bag over the control box. I can see and use all the knobs and switches through the bag. The two bags take up no room when I'm not using them. Rob

Lou and rcasi, I have been using a similar method, but just wanted to get a more solid "design". Glad that's worked for you both, I just am worried about my detector. HH
NC

Reminds me of the rain cover I made for Cibola, I use an old tupperware and sew the blue cover on my old Singer, you can also fix an ordinary head lamp for night hunting

Attachments

• CRIM0080.JPG
    CRIM0080.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,672
  • CRIM0083.JPG
    CRIM0083.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,770
  • CRIM0085.JPG
    CRIM0085.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,661
  • CRIM0086.JPG
    CRIM0086.JPG