Surf PI Pro Case Repair

hobbes_lives

Forum Supporter
While modifying my Surf PI Pro to accept a 10 cell battery holder, I made a stupid mistake and put a little nick in the black plastic case on the smooth surface right where the seal goes. It's not very deep, and is about the width of a small scratch, but is likely bad enough not to get a good seal when the case is closed. I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to fix this.

My first thought is to melt a little scrap plastic with MEK and use it as filler in the nick. I'm not sure how to get it nice and smooth after doing that though. What are your thoughts? I'm really concerned about getting a good seal after it's fixed.

(To make a long story short, I had planned to put tape on the crucial area before cutting, but then got side tracked and forgot.)

I appreciate everyone's help on this. Thanks.

I think I would find a rod or wire that fit the radius of the seal groove. Coat the wire so it won't stick to the plastic. Put in your filler than press in the wire until the filler sets ????? Rob

Would a little J-B weld work on that ?

This is what the J-B Weld web site says, so I think it's a no...

Q: Is there anything that J-B Weld WON'T bond to?

A: J-B Weld will not adhere to, or bond well to:

* Any flexible rubber surface
* Leather
* Vinyl
* Canvass
* Polypropylene plastic
* Polyethylene plastic

there are alot of diffrent types of expoxy out there, maybe make a trip to a hardware store an see if anything looks good. just make sure an give them pleanty of time to set up before you do any sanding or testing.going to be tough trying to get a good repair, pretty thin around the lip were it seals

Call this number 1-800-392-3223 and ask for Tony. The housing cost is 29.12 cents. Might be better to buy a brand new one instead of trying to fix your old one. Drowning electronics isn't fun!!! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom