Fed the Addiction: Scored the Small Gold and 2 Silvers!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
The surf had been extremely rough for the past few days with onshore winds gusting over 30 mph’s so I had resigned myself to not being able to go out detecting this weekend. :( I know I could’ve just done a dry sand hunt, but after 2 straight weekends of that I was itching for some water time. I decided Saturday night that I would just go out tomorrow for the approximate noon low tide and work the wet sand. That is something I rarely do here because conditions usually don’t warrant it. So I get up and get out the door earlier than my pre 2 hours before low tide because I knew I would have difficulties getting to the beach because of the Miami Marathon. At 9:15 I was out the door and my usual 10 minute jaunt to the beach took 30 minutes because of the marathon. :roll: At about 10am I started hunting a near shore wet area that was completely uncovered by the lowering tide. I noticed that there was a slight depression in about a 15’ X 40’ area there. I immediately started getting some caked quarters so I knew I was in a good spot. Within an hour I pulled the 2 silver rings there and probably over 75% of all the coins. I then ventured off and worked other areas. As we got closer to 12pm, and the apex of the low tide, I started to detect in the water a bit offshore since far out sandbars were blocking more of the rougher surf and smoothing out the water. However, the targets just weren’t there. As we were approaching about 4 hours of hunting time, I decided to head back to my original area which now was ankle deep under water. I worked just outside the outskirts and was getting some good sporadic targets. It was around the 4 hour mark of the hunt that I get a good sound and look in the scoop and pull out a tarnished ring. I knew by the look of it that it had to be yellow so I took some sand and cleaned the tarnish off...VOILA!!! :dingding: I hunted maybe another 20-30 minutes before calling it a day.

At home, I noticed the marking on the ring and see ".375" after a 9 and then some other stuff. I look up .375 and it comes up 9K. Not much in value at 1.13 grs. but it's also my 1st 9K which I find neat and it least it counts! (I actually thought of Meggie and all the 9K he pulls in the land down under. :yes: ) I cleaned the caked bronze game token for an arcade chain I've never heard of so that was very cool considering "Ready Player One" is coming out. I was also a bit surprised to find that I had hit the century mark on my respectable $4.37 in clad for a water hunt. Not bad for a hunt I didn't expect to get in. :good:

Attachments

• 1-28-18.jpg
    1-28-18.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 1-28-18 Rings2.jpg
    1-28-18 Rings2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 1-28-18 GR.jpg
    1-28-18 GR.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 1-28-18 Game Token (1).jpg
    1-28-18 Game Token (1).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 1-28-18 Game Token (2).jpg
    1-28-18 Game Token (2).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 1-28-18 Fits.jpg
    1-28-18 Fits.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 297
A nice save! Gold has some cool hallmarks too.

Your pennies just get worse and worse..wow!

I was sitting here looking for the second gold ring... I read your post wrong... I see you took our advice and used nair :laughing:

Man! Cool old ring there! I believe those are the best examples of Felix Pennies yet! Probably would grade MS65 on the FP appraisal! :laughing:

Nice gold and story.. just wondering what you actually do with all those pennies? Do you melt them down or just toss em?

Melt down? :lol: The reason they get like that is they're not copper. I will hit them with a hammer and run through a tumbler. Many I will be able to save and many not. Maybe I'll ship the ones I can't save this time to Craig! :lol:

Awesome looking gold ring Felix- congrats! The crusty silver is cool too although I'm usually disappointed when I break those things open. :yes:

That collection of finds looks very non typical of a Felix hunt...

You are into some more vintage finds than usual there...

Congrats, stay on em, and hit em hard!

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom