Best Water Hunting Accessories for a Newb

ChrisR910

I am new to the hobby having started this past November and have been detecting more on the beach than I had expected to. I have an AT Max which I will keep for the dry sand and I am planning on getting a Whites Dual Field PI for the water. I already have a scoop on order but was wondering are there any accessories anyone reccomends for this detector or water hunting in general that will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

I use a Camelbak as I tend to get thirsty. You also need a good waterproof mesh pouch for the water. I also started using gloves in the last 2 years. One reason is I have trigger finger and supposedly it creates extra cushion to help it. (Doesn't really). The other reason for the gloves is that I have been cut a couple of times crushing cans to put them in the pouch. Even though my hands are very rough, the water will make your skin more supple and more susceptible to getting cuts. Seeing as you hunt in colder water you will need wetsuit, weight belt, and booties. I don't take my phone with me so I don't have a drybag. I also leave my keys in the car and just carry a spare car key that that I wear around my neck. Hat for the sun and sunglasses. Welcome to being a pirate! :pirate2:

a comfortable set of dive boots for foot protection. A can of mcnett or trident food grade silicon spray for your detectors cable. Spray occasionally . Theses help maintain the suppleness of your cables. This will add years to the life of your detector.

a comfortable set of dive boots for foot protection. A can of mcnett or trident food grade silicon spray for your detectors cable. Spray occasionally . Theses help maintain the suppleness of your cables. This will add years to the life of your detector.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a good set of dive boots?

My best advice on boots is go to a dive shop and try on a couple different brands. A good fit with a decent sole are important to me. I also like a pair with a zipper so that they fit tight enough to keep the majority of the sand out of the boots.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a good set of dive boots?

My best advice on boots is go to a dive shop and try on a couple different brands. A good fit with a decent sole are important to me. I also like a pair with a zipper so that they fit tight enough to keep the majority of the sand out of the boots.

Agree 100% with George. The tighter, the better too cause sand will find their way into them.

Thanks for all the replys I didnt even think about what to do with my car keys. Can anyone recommend a good pair of waders for cold water.

Tip for water detecting

I am new to the hobby having started this past November and have been detecting more on the beach than I had expected to. I have an AT Max which I will keep for the dry sand and I am planning on getting a Whites Dual Field PI for the water. I already have a scoop on order but was wondering are there any accessories anyone reccomends for this detector or water hunting in general that will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Minor tip.......if you carry a water proof pinpointer, make sure it's tethered to you. I tend to carry mine in my open mouthed finds pouch and found out the hard way last summer they they can and will float away! Thank goodness for the bright orange on the White TRX Bullseye! I spotted it about 75 yards away from me (towards the shoreline;))

Attachments

• FB5FE7BB-C971-4B56-AC6A-10BAE3B69291.jpg
    FB5FE7BB-C971-4B56-AC6A-10BAE3B69291.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 252
Thanks for all the replys I didnt even think about what to do with my car keys. Can anyone recommend a good pair of waders for cold water.

A dry box for the keys. With this caveat even the good one fail . I have one that I maintained religiously and eventually started to allow water in. Now I use plastic bags I got from hobby shop as a back up inside my case.
Car key fobs are pricey

Neoprene waders w/ boots on them for winter, no need for dive boots. I use proline waders from Dicksportinggoods but they don't last all that long. I've seen a few guys using the Frog Togg neoprenes and will likely get those next. The prolines ALWAYS end up leaking. In fact, I got out of the water on saturday and my crotch was soaked....looked like I peed myself. I may as well have with how wet I was after. I noticed the crotch seal on the inside was hanging off so I'll have to get some aquaseal and patch them up for now.

Good scoop

Good finds pouch. (I use a homemade one w/ a dive belt that I really need to have mass produced for retail)

A sifter to tow behind you in the water. (make one yourself)

I also wear one of these around my neck in case I find something really good. I got it for free at the annual hunting and fishing expo at the CT DEEP booth.

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 154
Few

Waders , nylon mesh water pouch, the DF coil buoyancy is a issue, i use my DF more in the wet sand, very deep, Excalibur 800 in the water, as far as cleaning between the coil , and cover, the 1st 10 times, getting the coil cover off, you will think- of this post a :frustrated: muva :shock::laughing:, happy hunting, Earl

Back
Top Bottom