• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Not quite sure how to take this

Items over 50 years old, produced or modified by humans ... are archaeological objects.

Hmm... I'm (nearly) 50 years old, and I was produced by humans... I guess I'm considered an archaeological object in the state of WA. My wife would probably agree. :lol:

It seems to me that the laws pointed to and cited by the State website pertain to lands or areas that have been declared as historical or archaeological sites by the State.

The other section pertaining to "thirty years" pertains, it seems to me, to sites designated as historical that have been abandoned but are on State lands.

It doesn't sound like anything found that is thirty years older or more on someone's private property or even in a State park is effected unless it is on an abandoned tract of land that is under State ownership.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/publications...20brochure.pdf

This link takes you to the brochure and please note that coins in circulation are exempt from the entire statute. In the United States, all coins are legal tender and even if they are old are still considered coins in circulation. Even silver coins are legal tender and can

circulate freely for face value, although we know that the silver value is what we are interested in.

The brochure printed by the State of WA clearly states what is being protected. Historical artifacts.

Hmm... I'm (nearly) 50 years old, and I was produced by humans... I guess I'm considered an archaeological object in the state of WA. My wife

would probably agree. :lol:

Just a little info here...if you'll look in the top left corner of the post you'll see this was originally posted in 2009... its a little outdated.....but always good to look thru old post for still valuable info.....welcome to the forum...

Artifact

Hmm... I'm (nearly) 50 years old, and I was produced by humans... I guess I'm considered an archaeological object in the state of WA. My wife would probably agree. :lol:

LOL...just stay on the surface and you're fine, buddy! Once you go under the ground no one can legally dig you up except an Archie! :laughing: (biting my tongue to resist making any reference to deities filling out paperwork to perform resurrections)

As a newbie (and native Washingtonian), this thread has been an interesting read.

I've done my research to make sure I am following laws before I hunt, I love the value of archaeology and know there are many places in CT that are off limits. However, it bafled me that the government has enough time to chase after that particular ad.

Our family has been in WA for a hundred years, by that statute, it would be illegal for me to dig my land to pick up the coins my great great grandfather dropped in the field.

Back
Top Bottom