A stand for my Fisher F2?

Clint in KY

I built a PVC stand for my F2 and I never could get it to stay on the shaft firmly enough to be practical. I am wondering if anyone has come up with an idea for one that actually works or should I get an use an Anderson Stand? I am concerned that the two set screws Anderson uses to attach it to the shaft would dig into the aluminum and cause a weak spot to develop.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Here is the stand that I made. I show a close up of the part that goes over the shaft of the detector. I snapped the part over the shaft with a piece of sheet rubber to make up the difference in dimensions between the interior of the PVC piece and the shaft. I put a piece of the sheet rubber over the outside of the piece on the shaft and then a worm drive clamp over that. No matter how tight I made the clamp the piece rotated on the shaft. When I set the machine down because the bulk of the weight of it is so much higher than the axis of the clip on the shaft it just rotates around until the detector falls over.

This is why I am considering buying the Anderson stand, but am concerned about the screws digging into the aluminum of the shaft.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 264
  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 261
Did I understand you right? You have a sheet of rubber between your stand and the detector shaft? I would think that would keep it from turning. Maybe you need a thicker piece of rubber. Can you position it in another place? Perhaps you can work out something to extend the current factory stand.

Did I understand you right? You have a sheet of rubber between your stand and the detector shaft? I would think that would keep it from turning. Maybe you need a thicker piece of rubber.

The PVC has an internal dimension of 3/4" while the shaft is 7/8" so the mount is already 1/8" smaller than the shaft. So there is no more rubber sheet going into that space. Trust me, getting the piece I got in there was a challange.

Can you position it in another place?

The position of the mount is critical as too far rearward makes the contraption interfere with my swing. It MUST be on the forward section of the S curve in the shaft. Or perhaps even further down the shaft to get it away from my hip while swinging.

Perhaps you can work out something to extend the current factory stand.

This was my first idea. The Fisher line uses a bottom of the cuff approach to make a stand. If I make it more "robust" it WILL interfere with my swing. That is what made me go for something in front of the hand position for the do-it-myself stand.

Last edited:
If you put it forward of the electronics to get it out of the way of your swing, is there an adjustment hole in the shaft you could put a pin/cotter key through if you drilled a small hole in your mount? Not sure if that would put it too far forward. Or even drill a small hole in the shaft (1/8") to secure the stand.

I don't know how it would work but you might want to check into one of these. this one is made for an air rifle but they have a lot of different models.
41ziIZF7OBL._SY300_.jpg

If you coat both sides with rubber cement and let them dry before putting them together, it will stick better. Make sure they are lines up before you put them together.

Your top side of your stand looks like you used a 90. I would go with a T and you will get twice the surface area and clamping power. I would assume just some thin double sided tape in it and some zip ties over it would hold it solid.

If you put it forward of the electronics to get it out of the way of your swing,<snip>

Your top side of your stand looks like you used a 90. I would go with a T and you will get twice the surface area and clamping power. I would assume just some thin double sided tape in it and some zip ties over it would hold it solid.

I believe the answer is a combination of the above two posts. I did trim a TEE to make the clip so it was small enough to fit on the S curve of the shaft. If I use a full TEE I might have enough area to firmly attach it to the shaft - AND - if I attach it below the the Detector Head it will not affect my swing.

Now for a trip to Lowe's HIW to pick up some more PVC pieces and some more PVC cement. I will report back.

Where did you get the clamp?

It's called an irrigation saddle tee. I got it at home depot....online only. They may be out of them but Lowes may have them. Takes a 1/2" cpvc male adapter, two cpvc 1/2" elbows, two caps....optional. 1/2" cpvc tee, Short pieces of 1/2" cpvc pipe....glue. Black paint...optional. Less than $4 for everything. Hope this helps. You can also google Orbit Irrigation Saddle Tee for more places that sell them.

Attachments

• afb65f39-99dc-47d1-a129-45d9873480e4_400_compressed.jpg
    afb65f39-99dc-47d1-a129-45d9873480e4_400_compressed.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
It's called an irrigation saddle tee. I got it at home depot....online only. They may be out of them but Lowes may have them. Takes a 1/2" cpvc male adapter, two cpvc 1/2" elbows, two caps....optional. 1/2" cpvc tee, Short pieces of 1/2" cpvc pipe....glue. Black paint...optional. Less than $4 for everything. Hope this helps. You can also google Orbit Irrigation Saddle Tee for more places that sell them.

Nicely done MacGyver

Or just use some silicone in there. Semi permanent but can be removed if you need to without any damage to the shaft.

Hmm, I don't get why this is needed. Doesn't the detector stand up on it's own with the built-in stand under the elbow cup?

Nicely done MacGyver

Thanks buddy, I tried the setup with the larger 3/4 pvc tee and fittings. One tee I had to cut in order to fit it over the shaft. I didn't like that setup too much, too bulky and it was hard to get on and off. Also got lucky it didn't scatch the shaft. The setup I have now has a rubber gasket in it and is real easy to put on / take off.

Back
Top Bottom