Lets talk headphones

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I have used a few type of headphones over the years but now am mainly using Koss UR30's and Auvio wireless. I also have a couple pairs of the Gray Ghost headphones. I am pretty happy with the Koss but am wondering if I might want to try some Killer Bees or Sunrays. Would love to hear some comments from memebers as to what thier favorite headphones are and why. Comfort, sound quality,build quality. I look forward to hearing some view points.

I like the sound of the Koss headphone but the quality is not very good. Lots of people have trouble with the straight 1/4" male connector and cable breaking and then no sound. I changed out the connector to an all metal 90 degree version and no issues since.

I have a set of the Sunray Gold ones. The sound is a little "tinny" compared to the Koss but they seem louder. Think these use the Audiosears speakers. Some of the other brands also use these and should sound about the same.

Newer ones, they increased the length of the cable. Like the longer length.
These are comfortable.
Have tried it in the limiter mode but could not tell any difference.

I've used the KOSS UR30s and was satisfied with their sound quality. I have a couple pairs of them and the one thing they both had in common is the loss of sound because of wire breakage in the cable at the 1/4" male plug. I've been using the SunRay Pro Golds for about 6 months now without an issue. The extended length of cable is nice and when I switch the Limiter Switch I do notice quite a difference. When using the Limiter, you don't get the loud banging signal on the surface targets that I like to hear... so I don't use it. I do use the Stereo/Mono mode switch to kill the sound out of the headphones while pin-pointing though... because it acts as a Kill switch and silences the interference noise from the Detector from EMI when the coil is vertical to the ground. My Summer/warm weather headphones are the (earlier version) Deteknix wireless phones. I really like them and the sound quality is good. In summery, the UR30s would be satisfactory to me... I didn't notice a huge difference in the quality of sound produced by the SunRays over the Koss, but the durability is definitely better in the SunRays... they are hot in warm weather though. The Koss are slightly better in hot weather but the Deteknix are the best for me in the heat if that may be a concern for you.

I've been using the ProStars from Whites and have no complaints. They're built like a tank and like the audio. Also have a lifetime warranty.

I've got a set of Killer B's Hornets and I prefer the UR-30's over anything else I have. Tried the Rattlers, didn't care for them. I use the WS5's simply because they are made for my Dues, but I like the UR-30's fit and sound over all the types I've tried so far.

Now that being said, I put together a bluetooth setup of SkullCandy HESH2 headphones and I really like the tone of them better than the UR-30's. They fit a little better as well.

I've always liked the Sunrays I have used them on almost every detector I have owned. I wished they made a set for the AT Pro.

Thanks for the responses guys. I see I am not the only one liking the Koss UR30's. I have replaced the input jack on 2 of my 4 sets with good quality ones.

I am in the process of converting one pair of the UR30's to accept my Deus WS4 "puck" as I think the audio of the Koss is better than the WS5 full headphones I have.
I may try a set of Sunrays and see how they do. Hell, who I am kidding . I will probably go overboard as I usually do when something gets my curiousity and try every set I can find. And then when I find a set I like I will by 5 pairs of them.
Tis quite the illness this detecting thing! LOL!

I tried a pair of the Koss UR-30's. Gave them away to my brother in law due to the lousy fit and poor quality.

I have been using the Killer B II for a few years and love them. Good quality. Good quality Sound and excellent fit and noise dampening.

I've been using Black Widows by DetectorPro lately.

I tried the Jolly Rogers on my Racer 2. They sounded great but were just not loud enough.

With the Black Widows, I can only use them at half volume and the quality is unbelievable.

I use the GG NDTs and love them...I will say though, they can get hot...which is no problem where I live except in the Summer...I can imagine a fellow has to get phones to deal with their hearing issues as well as their geographic location....good thing theres plenty of choices!

Those big full cuff phones are perfect here for most of the year, just on those hot summer days they get sweaty...maybe I'll get a set of smalls or earbuds as well?
Mud

So I realize the question was not on wireless and not trying to HiJack your thread, but I just got about 12 hours (a couple hunts) on Sennheiser RS160, these are not Bluetooth and I hear no lag. Supposedly the Kleer Technology, lag is virtually unnoticeable, in fact they were advertised as no latency, but just recently advertised with just a bit.

They are over the ear, light and fit perfectly.

I use the GG NDTs and love them...I will say though, they can get hot...which is no problem where I live except in the Summer...I can imagine a fellow has to get phones to deal with their hearing issues as well as their geographic location....good thing theres plenty of choices!

Those big full cuff phones are perfect here for most of the year, just on those hot summer days they get sweaty...maybe I'll get a set of smalls or earbuds as well?
Mud

Funny you mention this. I forgot my Koss UR 30's when I went out today but had the GG in the back of the truck with the T2. I strapped on the GG and hooked them up to my CTX wireless module. The fir was pretty snug compared to the Koss. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have 2 sets of the GG but have only used this one set once just to test out the new T2.
The snugg fit cut out any outside noise and the sound was great. Hunted a school that we have pounded for years but still managed so squeek out 3 Mercury dimes.

Now ANOTHER question, what is the NDT? Both sets of my Grey Ghost headphones are different. I have a switch on this pair that I believe may be a stereo/mono switch.

I tried a pair of the Koss UR-30's. Gave them away to my brother in law due to the lousy fit and poor quality.

I have been using the Killer B II for a few years and love them. Good quality. Good quality Sound and excellent fit and noise dampening.

+1

Killer B's Wasp model ive been using now for two years with my Etrac, and a year before that with my Atpro. Like them a lot. Its amazing how you can accumulate headphones over the years, I looked in the cabinent a week or two ago and besides the Killer Bees, have 3 pair of assorted Garretts , one un named off brand headphone and a very old pair of Depth Master headphones (you oldtimers remember those?).

Now ANOTHER question, what is the NDT? Both sets of my Grey Ghost headphones are different. I have a switch on this pair that I believe may be a stereo/mono switch.

I researched quite a bit before I ordered these...They have independent volume controls, also a kill switch for conversation or something, pretty basic features...

But What I REALLY liked is how the cord disconnected from the phones with a quick disconnect right up close to the earcup...see? then I took an extra wire and fabbed on an AtPro plug, so the 90degree plug wire stays on my F70, I can quickly quick disconnect the phones and use them on the Pro without fooling around with that stupid G plug hook up all the time...just by using that quick disconnect plug...so yeah..that was a big feature for me!
Mud

I researched quite a bit before I ordered these...They have independent volume controls, also a kill switch for conversation or something, pretty basic features...

But What I REALLY liked is how the cord disconnected from the phones with a quick disconnect right up close to the earcup...see? then I took an extra wire and fabbed on an AtPro plug, so the 90degree plug wire stays on my F70, I can quickly quick disconnect the phones and use them on the Pro without fooling around with that stupid G plug hook up all the time...just by using that quick disconnect plug...so yeah..that was a big feature for me!
Mud

They are the same as a pair of mine. Have been using them alot in the last couple days and am really taken a shine to them. I am going to try out a set of Killer B's soon as I have hears some good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom