Pinpointer from Harbor Freight

It's a pinpointer... lots of members on here have used them and it gets pretty decent reviews.

It's a pinpointer... lots of members on here have used them and it gets pretty decent reviews.

I'm new to MD and never realized how nice a pin pointer could be, ill be trying one out soon. I could see digging up a nice clean chunk of dirt and just holding it and using the pin pointer on it.

If no sign go back to the hole.....

I'm new to MD and never realized how nice a pin pointer could be, ill be trying one out soon. I could see digging up a nice clean chunk of dirt and just holding it and using the pin pointer on it.

If no sign go back to the hole.....

It's good to use a pinpointer before you even dig a plug. If it's near the surface, the pinpointer will locate it for you and you can dig a smaller and shallower plug. Often, the item will be covered only by flattened grass - you don't need to dig at all - just feel for it. My pinpointer died a few months ago. Since then I've been using a dull, thin, flat screw-driver as a probe to feel the target in the ground. (Not a good idea if you there is any possibility of recovering a rare coin. Where I hunt, I don't need to worry.) Then I just pry it up without digging (most of the time.)

You can also tell if the item is in the plug you dug by waving the plug under the coil of your detector. Wave it and twist it around. If it doesn't react, re-scan the hole. If it's not in the hole, examine the plug a little more.

Pinpointers do make life easier.

Since then I've been using a dull, thin, flat screw-driver as a probe to feel the target in the ground. (Not a good idea if you there is any possibility of recovering a rare coin. Where I hunt, I don't need to worry.) Then I just pry it up without digging (most of the time.)

billard rich, before I got my pinpointer (which was only a week ago) I used a brass rod that I attached to a dowel to locate coins and items. This was not always a easy way to do it because of the shells and rocks that are usually in the soil from fill dirt down in the south.

I bought a Harbor Freight PP for my dad and I actually think it works better than my Whites Bullseye. It will reach up to 2" down, whereas I never get better than an inch with mine.
The only trouble is the switch, if you press it the wrong way it doesnt make a connection, but just a shift of your thumb and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom