How Many Scoops?

Joetrikke

How many scoops do you attempt to recover a target before you give up? I was in the water neck deep and got a nice sharp signal and ended up moving along after 10 tries. Man I hate that but... :mad:

Ten sounds about right. Usually depends on the characteristic of the signal on how tenacious I'll be. Frustrating, but I tell myself it's probably junk anyway.

On the East coast of Florida, you are sometimes just getting started at 10 scoops. Waves pushing you around, throwing you back off the hole, etc. I didn't count. But that grill I just dug probably took 20 scoops while getting hammered. You know its rough when your headphones get knocked off your head often:lol: Other than who I used to water hunt with. I only see one water hunter a year. :lol:

How many scoops do you attempt to recover a target before you give up? I was in the water neck deep and got a nice sharp signal and ended up moving along after 10 tries. Man I hate that but... :mad:

The next hunter will scoop up that big fat platinum band you gave up on :D

I run my coil over others holes and have scored some nice gold finds that way... the targets usually in the side wall.

Some of the ends of the old ring style pull tabs are small on fall through the scoop holes. Usually those and folded bigger ones of the same style is what I've usually ended up chasing.

Has alot to do with the location now....

If it is a blast on the 4th scoop I give up...........Which could have cost me the best ring found in OC this year....

Now I dig all highs, and it is coming out if I can get my scoop in the hole for another...

If the target has a small signature and is a mid tone... I never give up.

My best find yet was after about 15 scoops in the rocks...

I chased one the other day four what seemed like 15 min. turned out to be a nickel.:lol:

At least it wasn't a penny or brass lure :lol:

When I first started water hunting I chased a target for 15 minutes and finally snagged it.. it was a 14k wedding band dated 1929 :yes:

If a target sounds really good and doesn't get bigger the closer I get to it I keep at it. If I keep going down and down and I'm still not getting it I'll go around and collapse the sides of the hole.
That usually puts it in the scoop. :grin:

This is a true story.... A couple years ago while using my DFPI ,I hit a whisper in about 4' of water, after a couple scoops I had a nice narrow, sharp signal. I don't know how many scoops I had but when I gave up I had a hole the size of a bushel basket and deep. I gave up and move on.

The next day I went back to the same spot , entered the water and was moving pretty fast to get past the area I hunted the day before. I passed the monster hole, for the heck of it I passed my coil over it. There it was, a nice narrow, sharp sound. I put my scoop in the hole, pulled up a scoop full of mud, dumped it in my sifter and low and behold there is a gold ring in my sifter.

If I hadn't gone back the next day that ring would still be there. I often wonder how many rings ( if any ) I may have left behind.

Depends on many factors such as signal tone/strength as well as the area itself but I would say 10 scoops is as good a limit as any. :D

I'm not very seasoned at water hunting and sometimes it takes me that many scoops before I even get close. I'm getting better but if it is a small target in the foil to zinc penny range I won't give up.

Depends on location but with a scoop...maybe 5 scoops? Depends on the quality of the tone/target. Extracting a pull tab wedged in a crevice in the reef can be pretty frustrating if not impossible with a scoop. Fanning...;) That is if you've got good visability and your not mud bogging.

If it is still elusive after a few scoops, change direction. Come in from 90 degrees on the side. It is quite often stuck in the side wall of the hole.

Also make sure to take your scoopful and move it a couple of feet to the side. That way if it is a smalll or fluttery object it willll dramatically change location. This can help you determine the size or characteristics of it.

The tactic which works best for me is to use my pinpoint feature. Once I determine the strongest signal I take it off Pin point mode. Then I draw the coil slowly back until the signal drops off, making sure to note the depth. I then know it's directly at the forward tip of my coil and how deep an angle I need to attack it with my scoop.

I put my foot to the back of the coil to mark my spot. I know the object is now a foot in front of my foot. When I do scoop, I angle the handle low into he water for a couple of seconds to let the contents settle into the scoop for a moment. I have a backsaver handle from Amazon.com which is attached to my handle. It really helps.

This is in sugar sand type settings so your mileage may vary with other types of bottoms.

I have a very high percent of first scoop recoveries with my T-Rex at this point.

I have found some very nice rings on targets I wanted to give up on and didn't.. Its usually a flat profiled lead sinker though...

<*)))>{

If it is still elusive after a few scoops, change direction. Come in from 90 degrees on the side. It is quite often stuck in the side wall of the hole.

Have to face the waves here. You turn 90 degrees and dig you won't be standing long. Turn your back to the waves and you'll figure out where all those lost cellphones come from:laughing:

I solve most of that problem pinpointing with a PI. See 3:58 in the video....I also found my targets on the side of the hole this way.

Back
Top Bottom