Gonna try some beach hunting this weekend... Any Tips?

wadepliskin

Hey all,

Been itching to give it a try after sweating my butt off in the parks & fields.

I'm sure working the beach is different than a park or field so I was wondering if anyone could throw out some good tips for me & my X-Terra 305.
I have the stock 9" 7.5khz CC, 6" CC 7.5 khz, and the 10.5" 7.5khz DD for coil options.

Thanks guys,

Corey

Hey all,

Been itching to give it a try after sweating my butt off in the parks & fields.

I'm sure working the beach is different than a park or field so I was wondering if anyone could throw out some good tips for me & my X-Terra 305.
I have the stock 9" 7.5khz CC, 6" CC 7.5 khz, and the 10.5" 7.5khz DD for coil options.

Thanks guys,

Corey

I used to have a 305 and it worked OK at the beach. I would stick to the dry sand as much as possible and if you do go in the wet sand put your sens down to half way or until it quiets down some. Use the 9" concentric coil and put the machine in all metal.

Good luck.

If hunting at the ocean, bring a few test targets and put them in the dry and then the wet sand. Wet salt sand is conductive and you may have to turn down the sensitivity on the unit. So the test targets are a quick way to ensure your sensitivity hasn't gone down so much that you are eliminating all the good stuff....and may help you find the max sens/threshold tolerable for getting the most depth in the area you are hunting.

Don't forget the suntan lotion and water. :cool:

Don't know the machine but I would think the DD coil might fair best with the mineralization...

I'll add, dig everything that sounds small, except iron.. You would just be shocked at the size of gold that can sound like the tiniest piece of foil!!

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Don't know the machine but I would think the DD coil might fair best with the mineralization...

I'll add, dig everything that sounds small, except iron.. You would just be shocked at the size of gold that can sound like the tiniest piece of foil!!

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

You would think the DD would work best but from my experience the concentric works best. I used a 10.5 MF DD half the day and found a few coins, as soon as I switched to the concentric I starting finding a lot more targets including 2 silver rings in the same area I missed with the DD.

The Sound beaches have been tricky for me. The dry sand not so much a problem, but the wet sand cuts the depth on the ATP a lot and it doesn't like being near the water at all. I hunt the dry sand beaches just like I do hunting in parks, but am more diligent about where I lay my detector down, so I don't get sand or salt water in sensitive areas. I also wash everything down with fresh water afterwards to get any salt off the equipment.
Fresh water beaches, no problem.

Don't know much about the Exterra. But if you are going to in wet salt water sand try to go a couple of hours before low tide and stays couple of hours after. Take a good long handle sand scoop you'll be glad you did.
Gary

Don't know much about the Exterra. But if you are going to in wet salt water sand try to go a couple of hours before low tide and stays couple of hours after. Take a good long handle sand scoop you'll be glad you did.
Gary

Defineately planning on getting there about 2 hours before low tide. I have a scoop but not one with a long handle. Lucky for me my son will be there to do the scooping for me :)

Back
Top Bottom