Please help me with choosing the right beach detector?

IllinoisDigger

Hi, I currently own the Minelab Etrac which I use for hunting the fields. I'm looking to buy a detector that's best suitable for a beach setting (Lake Michigan here in Chicago). I've narrowed my choices down to the excalibur ii and the at pro. Which do you think would be the best? What if I wanted to take one of those machines to a salt beach in say Florida or Texas? I'm looking for the best detector that is all-purpose and good at finding the jewelry. Thank You.

Disclaimer: I'm a Minelab guy...

Minelab rules in the salt water. In freshwater either will work if you are just wading. I would opt for the Excal if it was me but the AT Pro is a third the cost and if you are doing freshwater primarily and just doing saltwater on vacation, the AT Pro would serve you well. The AT Pro does not like saltwater much but will work.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Said it before and will say it again. Love my AT Pro. Used it on the beaches of Florida in and out of the water.

CZ21 ;)

Excals are too fragile, AT Pro wouldn't get very much depth in saltwater.

I love my Excal, paid for itself in 6 months! It works like a dream. However, I see some guys swinging their AT Pros and pulling out some pretty good finds. at 1/3 the price it might find you enough to pay for itself and the upgrade to Excal in a couple years :)

Minelab in Saltwater for sure. (I hunt florida beaches several times a week). However, CZ21 is a fine choice also. I may pick one up myself ;)

at pro is a great machine but is TRASH in salt water
NO matter how you use it:no:
great for dry sand . lakes BUT wet FORGET IT in wet sand... JUNK!!!
it is as bad as as a boundy hunter! pure trash!

At pro

I use my AT PRO at Myrtle Beach in the wet sand at low tide because I need the discrimination. For out in the water I use my Whites Dual Field PI, most deep water targets are good.

You could get by with an AT Pro on salt beaches for a vacation. They are superb in fresh water. Just know you will not get the depth on salt beaches. They are a lot cheaper and don't need the modifications and extra dollars needed to make the Excal good. Now, if you hunted salt all the time, the Excal would be my choice. For a vacation the AT Pro would do OK.

Minelab rules in the salt water. In freshwater either will work if you are just wading. I would opt for the Excal if it was me but the AT Pro is a third the cost and if you are doing freshwater primarily and just doing saltwater on vacation, the AT Pro would serve you well. The AT Pro does not like saltwater much but will work.

+1 I have a 3030 and love it! I use it in the water with great results but I want take it under water even though it's good for 10 ft. I can't take the chance. So as a minelab user I'll have a Excal in my future.
Gary

Excals are great but too expensive. You have to buy two so that you will be able to hunt with one while tge other is out for repair.
Cz21 no questions asked . Love my ctx but for heavy water hunting cz21 can't be beat

I have loved my ATP, and it has found enough gold in Lake Erie in the last year to buy 8 more of them... About $4800 worth now... I am currently looking for my hundredth ring of this season....

On the other hand, I had one that drowned last season and was replaced, also I have had 3 coils go to hell in less than a year... The machine I have now is actually busted off of the shaft and just taped on... My pinpoint button is also sticking so if I use it, it can take a few minutes to un-stick it, a real pain.. I have learned to use it without using the pinpoint button now which is actually quicker...

I think I might be looking for a CZ for next season, although, I fear I will be missing out on the smaller golds like earings, chains and rings that weigh less than a gram.... The ATP seems to hit very well on even the smallest stuff..

Good luck on your quest...

<*)))>{

Best kept secret...:secret: BeachHunter 300. Half the cost of an Excal, built like a tank, and a great deep gold finder.

Foiled

Best kept secret...:secret: BeachHunter 300. Half the cost of an Excal, built like a tank, and a great deep gold finder.

Foiled

Foiled does have a point. They do work great in fresh and salt water. It is a waterproof DFX. Did they fix the floating coil problem? I used one diving and HATED IT. Had to keep pushing the coil down to the bottom and it was a PAIN!!

Ice, you MIGHT want to look into a Tigershark. It loves small things including foil. I love my CZ and it hits very hard on small gold rings but you are right about chains. Even though I have found over 10, only one was ever detected. The rest have been eyeball or dug up with something else.

What about a bit older model like the CZ-20? Any complaints with that one? I'm also in the market for a used beach machine and was thinking about the 20.

Ice, you MIGHT want to look into a Tigershark. It loves small things including foil. I love my CZ and it hits very hard on small gold rings but you are right about chains. Even though I have found over 10, only one was ever detected. The rest have been eyeball or dug up with something else.

The Tigershark does not have iron disc does it?? I have to have that, as I hardly hunt anywhere except iron laden spots...

Good to know the CZ picks up the tiny rings at least...

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom