• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How do I hunt a Small Ghost Town?

Grumpysrb

Forum Supporter
I have gotten permission from the land owner, a Foundation, to hunt what was once a very small town. They lease it to a cattle rancher. and I have to cantact him.

There were only a few buildings, including a Cotton Gin, A seneral Store and a train depot. The number of residents is a mystery, I can only find mention of two. The man they believe the town is name for and the man that owned both businesses, who was cremated in the town on a log fire. It is believed the last person moved away around 1925-27.

The area is around 35 acres.

I was recently contacted through my craigslist ad by a real estate company owner, and he owns an area that was an entire town that was there from 1850's-1920 and then the town was moved about a mile or so away near a rail road.

There was a general store, whiskey distillery and other buildings there. I am hoping to get out there Saturday and am stoked about it.

I was about to ask this same question...how should I go about detecting this place? Dig it all? Dig all but iron?

It looks like a large area. I'd like to cover the entire area, but I don't know if I will be able to return after the first day. Suppose I need to find out.

Well here's my plan of action so far

I plan to figure out where the foundations were, hit all around each one, then I plan to hit the area in front of where the foundations were where a path may have been where they travelled from building to building.

Then just randomly.

In your case, after hitting the known foundations, you can just run wide open until your detector starts sounding like a pinball machine and then slow down in those areas.

You might look at aerial maps and then figure out where the trails/ paths are and maybe clearings near large trees. Also, if there is flat areas near a creek, might want to check that out too.

I've never hunted one, but I would find and hunt the houses and hotel areas, if any, first. Try to find where clotheslines and outhouses were, too. Other than that, you will pretty much be on a relic hunt. It sounds like a great opportunity. I would love to find an 1800's town and hunt under the wooden walkways you see in the movies. I bet those were loaded with silver that fell through the cracks.

"Dig it all? Dig all but iron?"....That's a good question. Depends how much time you will have there and how much you want to dig. I usuually first dig for smaller targets that ring up well. As I visit sites again and again, I keep clearing the ground. I think my favorite find to date (a civil war era sword plate) was found only because I decided to dig larger signals that day. Good luck with this site and keep us posted!

personally ive never worried about small ghosts LOL. sounds like a great opportunity, hit the high traffic areas first, then work your way out. good luck...:)

I have gotten permission from the land owner, a Foundation, to hunt what was once a very small town. They lease it to a cattle rancher. and I have to cantact him.

There were only a few buildings, including a Cotton Gin, A seneral Store and a train depot. The number of residents is a mystery, I can only find mention of two. The man they believe the town is name for and the man that owned both businesses, who was cremated in the town on a log fire. It is believed the last person moved away around 1925-27.

The area is around 35 acres.

Look for signs of traffic, or places you would be if that was your town.
along any water sources. wells, where some larger trees are located, or look for shrubs that might have been planted.

find a good spot and grid it. I think you are going to find lots of iron, but stay persistent you will find some cool stuff...

You may go to the county library and look at the old Plat maps, nearly any land transaction was recorded somewhere, the Plat maps usually go back many,many years, you can sometimes get the maps on computer if the county historical society has put them there. I live in a "ghost town" of sorts, the community once held 3 hotels, 2 general stores, 3 churches, and about 20 homes.... now, 1 small church and 8 or 9 houses, the rest is corn or soybeans:(, Do some research 1st to find out where people would have been and you'll find the goodies.

Been to the County Historical Museum, they told me of the place. There's no plat maps or much of anything on the place. Their info is about 4 pages. Not much more than I got online. The best was the one page hand wriiten letter describing the cremation of the town business owner.

I have did the same thing with amazing results. Start on the hills. This will be where the buildings would have been. I would start in all metal then as you find large deposits of iron switch to eliminate it. Dig all repeating signals. O and I get your first silver. LOL

It's about 40 acres pretty much flat. I need to go out there to see what it looks like in person. A creek runs along one side, I'm sure there was activity there. If not to deep, or too mant gators I may try out the AT Pro in the water.

I didnt even read people's responses but I hate this question... DIG IT ALL!!!!!!!!

You have a prime location and GOD only knows what is there. DIG it all, and post pictures of your results!!!

Even if you dig junk iron, chances of the next signal being a cool relic are good.

Spend as much time as you can there!

Good luck and happy hunting! Even finding nothing is fun if you enjoy the adventure!!! Show some love to the person who let you on the property. Karma is everything.

HH!

I didnt even read people's responses but I hate this question... DIG IT ALL!!!!!!!!

You have a prime location and GOD only knows what is there. DIG it all, and post pictures of your results!!!

Even if you dig junk iron, chances of the next signal being a cool relic are good.

Spend as much time as you can there!

Good luck and happy hunting! Even finding nothing is fun if you enjoy the adventure!!! Show some love to the person who let you on the property. Karma is everything.

HH!

If I dug every target I wouldn't leave a 10ft area. I wouldn't be looking for iron, I mean think about it..what iron item would be worth more than .50 cents anyway.

Appreciate your advice, but I personally have no desire to spend the entire day digging iron.:lol:

Depots are a good sign. Even if residents in town were low, farmers/ranchers from all around probably rode their goods to the depot to be sent to market. Then they spent the rest of the day in the saloon, got drunk and dropped coins and tokens all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom