White's GMT Gold Master vs MXT Pro

nittany1

Elite Member
I'm looking for a new detector to look for gold in tot lots, parks, ghost towns and electronic prospecting. What do you think of the White's GMT Gold Master versus the MXT Pro? I know the MXT Pro has a Prospecting mode, but I can't seem to find what kHz the MXT Pro operates at in that mode. I know the GMT Gold Master operates at 48 kHz which is generous for a VLF gold detector especially taking into consideration the automatic ground balance with display.

Does anyone have experience with the MXT Pro operating in the Prospecting mode? How small are the gold nuggets or items you're able to find? Thank you very much for any help or advice you're able to provide.

The MXT operates just below 14kHz. It is more of a general use detector which is what you describe your needs as. I'm sure it can find small gold nuggets or jewlery but it is not suited for prospecting (unless the area is full of decent size nuggets). The GMT is designed for hunting mineralized gold bearing ground and finding gold down to tiny pieces. They are two different designs for different purposes. I had an MXT and sold it since it had a rough time detecting small gold jewelry past 3 inches. I have a Gold Bug Pro (same electronics as the G2) that detects gold jewelry very well at 5 inches and does pretty darn good with coins.

Where you hunt makes a difference. The soils here in Colorado are highly mineralized. You are in Florida and my understanding is the conditions there are very low minerailzed soil except maybe when beach hunting and there are detectors that are very well suited for that. It could be the MXT will behave more favorably there for gold hunting. If you are planning on proscpecing a given area you may want to see what other people may be using. It just depends on your priorities.

I got a GMT, it arrived via Fedex today, I'm reading the manual and putting it together right now. I can't wait to try it! It rained today, hopefully it'll be clear tomorrow so I can give it a try. I like the option of having the ground balance being automatic or manual or grab, that's a nice flexibility, plus I like the balance of the machine in my hand. For the past 14 years I've a Tesoro guy, but now I'm branching off into Garrett and White's too.

I won't be sticking to Florida for detecting, I want to head to Georgia, South Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, California as well.

I am really curious as to how the GMT works for you in your area. I've always wanted to try a true gold machine in general conditions. I'm not sure if the display on that thing will lend itself to that sort of use or if you just have to adapt to a different TID system.

Back
Top Bottom