Wrapping coil wire around shaft?

D14Rocks

Ok, so I got my Minlab Excal II today and very easy set up, but I wanted to ask the good people here the trick to wrapping the coil wire around the shaft.

Problem I am having (My first detector) is when I wrap the wire around the shaft and go to conect the shaft to the control arm the wire loosens up up and comes partly uncoiled and looks like crap, I didn't want to stress the wire off the bat, I figured I'd get some advice first from some people who know how to do it.

Also when I set up the charger to charge the battery, is there any way to make sure it's charging? there seems to be no light showing if it is charging?

Thanks,
D14Rocks

You can use small loops of velcro to make the cable fit more snuggly to the pole at points along the length, this works for me.

That sounds like a cool trick. I thought about tie raps, but they might cut into the wire and do dammage after a while.

I just wrapped my cable around the shaft and it stayed.. I also have my controls and battery zip tied to a belt on my waist, to lighten up the shaft. I'm off to the ocean tomorrow for the first time with my new toy :neat:

Btw congrats on your new detector D14 :cheers:

That sounds like a cool trick. I thought about tie raps, but they might cut into the wire and do dammage after a while.
I have used small rubber fuel tubing to protect from cuts made by the tie. Just cut a short piece and put the zip tie thru it ,,,works great

There is alot of wire on the Excal II, I don't know if that is normal to have a bunch of wire you would wrap around??... but if you had to fix the wire in a broken spot near the conections, the extra wire the better.

I found out that the battery doesn't have a light to let you know if it's charging, maybe this is a good for a future model (hint minlab). But as long as it works...Cool.

I am stoked about the detector, the more I read the manual, I have the bug bad and will have my first outting tomorrow.......:grin:

I guess they left some "Extra" wire for "Hip mount" opt

I was thinking that something with heatshrink and tie wraps would be good, only deal is the conections from the coil to the control pannel are fixed one piece. The rubber tubing is a good idea also.

Cladkiller: are you on the eastcoast???

D14rocks

I use 2 zip ties and I don't have them pulled tight, just enough to hold them in place. Been like that for almost 2 years now. No Problems. I even left myself enough slack so I can take the shaft apart and fit it into my car. Can you believe that the Excalibur won't fit in my Toyota Prius unless I break it down in two? Small cars man! The price we pay for over 50mpg!

You can get a cheap roll of Velcro and use those to secure your cable up the shaft. Whites does it, and the cables are nice and tight.

Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc ... most all of them offer Velcro wire wraps. Should be able to purchase a bundle of 20-25 for less than $5.oo.

Back
Top Bottom