Multiple frequencies vs. single frequency

sawdust

I notice that the E-trac and V3i have multiple frequencies, and others like the F75 have one.
What advantage is there in having multiple frequencies, and how important is it as far as finding coins?

The biggest advantage of multi-frequency is on salt beaches. There are other advantages and disadvantages as well.

The Bad:
The Multi-frequency detectors weak point is EMI(Electromagnetic Interference). Radio waves/microwaves cause noise that can at times make a detector pretty much useless. For those detectors that can switch to a single frequency they can sometimes get past it or using noise cancel(Minelab) tends to work pretty well.

The Good:
We all know different metals respond best to different frequencies. Gold responds/excites best to high frequencies. You'll most often find dedicated gold detectors using a frequency in the 50 KHZ to 100 KHZ. Silver responds/excites best to lower frequencies. You find most single frequency all purpose detectors choose a happy middle range from 6 KHZ to 10KHZ which is a good average range. Of course having a detector that uses the best of both worlds(high and low) can give you an advantage.

Some detectors allow you to change frequency by changing the coil which is great, but can end up costing a lot and still only use 1 frequency at a time. Of course multi-frequency detectors cost a lot to begin with.

Not all multi-frequency detectors use the multi-frequencies in the same way. White's uses 3 frequencies(2.5 khz 7.5 khz 22.5 khz) or allows you to use any 1 single frequency. White's displays the response or returning signal of each frequency so you can look for a pattern to help identify the target. Minelabs multi-frequency is a little more complicated as well as kept secret. The claims are that FBS(Full Band Spectrum) transmits 28 frequencies and determines the best 3 responding frequencies for analyzing. You never really know what frequencies are being used. All I can say is the FBS works very well as does White's multi-frequency technology.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom