New oldest silver, a couple of IHPs and some wheats...

Waveoff

Elite Member
It's been forever since I've been out on a good hunt. Life has just been busy lately. On a whim, I called up my buddy James who I hadn't detected with in a while to see if he was around and wanted to drive out to a spot I had in mind. As luck would have it, he was just sitting around at home. He graciously invited me to go detect a yard with him where he found a large cent on a previous hunt. I only found a couple of wheats but he found a Barber quarter and a GW. His dad and I saw the neighbor at the old house across the street checking her mail so we asked her permission to detect her house. Her and her husband gave us the go ahead.

It was slow going at first but then my friend popped an 1876 IHP. Always a good sign. After that, I started finding some wheats and then a couple of IHPs...a 1907 and 1905. Just as we were about to wrap it up, I got a nice solid 28-29 on the Nox. I went to dig and there was already a plug made. I flipped it and my pinpointer went off on the sidewall of the hole. There was telltale gray tinting of the dirt so I carefully cut a chunk of dirt away and saw the silver rim. ONE DIME was staring at me but with a different looking wreath...flipped her over and saw Lady Liberty sitting there with a date of 1842! This is now my oldest silver coin and also silver #121 FTY. Thanks for looking and HH!:D

V78VrYy.jpg

3Lsck58.jpg

4O4NjZw.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, another seated and an early one to boot. I'm jealous. Congrats on your new oldest shiny. I dug one of those small play thin dimes the other day, thought for a second I had something old, nope. Anyway nice save and glad to see you were able to get out. Good luck. Mark

Congrats on all the silver for the year! So...who had already cut the plug that the dime was in??

Oh man, another seated and an early one to boot. I'm jealous. Congrats on your new oldest shiny. I dug one of those small play thin dimes the other day, thought for a second I had something old, nope. Anyway nice save and glad to see you were able to get out. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! It was a very welcome surprise. Those play money coins always get me going too. Hopefully we can get out again soon. My girlfriend might actually get to use your AT Pro today if we get out later. Thanks again for letting her borrow it. I'll get it back to you soon!

Congrats on all the silver for the year! So...who had already cut the plug that the dime was in??

Thanks toad! We're not sure who cut the plug but my buddy thinks it was him because it was in an area he had just worked. He was happy for me but was also kicking himself for not rescanning his plug.:lol:

Congrats on the Seated dime! She's a beauty!
Did your buddy give up on that one?

Thank you Ron! I think he just forgot to rescan his hole after pulling out another coin. I wanna say it was in a spot he had pulled his 1876 IHP from. This seated could have very well been part of a spill with that IHP.

A very nice outing Fred. Great reaction on getting the 2nd permission. Congrats on the Seated Dime, the Indians and all the rest. For the first time I feel I am gaining on you as the difference is now under 40 coins. But then you have not been hunting a awful lot, so maybe not.:yes: Trapper

1842 = nice. A few more years older, and it would have been a bust coin !

A very nice outing Fred. Great reaction on getting the 2nd permission. Congrats on the Seated Dime, the Indians and all the rest. For the first time I feel I am gaining on you as the difference is now under 40 coins. But then you have not been hunting a awful lot, so maybe not.:yes: Trapper

Thank you Trapper! You're definitely closing the gap quickly. I'm hoping to get out more real soon and adding to the totals.:D

Back
Top Bottom