Musket ball, or ball bearing?

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I found this 'orb' about 3" down in the yard of an early 20th century home. Not sure if this is a ball bearing or musket ball. Its on the heavy side and the red scoria in this area is common which may be why its slightly red in color. I dont want to scrape it if it is a lead musket ball. Looks to be in the .50 cal range.

There were soldiers camped in the area with Gen. Crook when they were on their way to help Custer at the little big horn, but I dont think muskets were used by them.

IMG_0870.jpg

Identification help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and HH!

Looks rusty, not white oxide on lead. Is it magnetic? No one shot steel out of a rifle. Cannon possibly.

Have you tried to clean it with a toothbrush at all? Putting a little knick in the metal to see if it's lead with a knife tip or something won't hurt anything.

If it sticks to a magnet it's not a musket ball .musket balls are made from lead.

Looks rusty, not white oxide on lead. Is it magnetic? No one shot steel out of a rifle. Cannon possibly.

GOOD GRIEF!!!! :facepalm: Sometimes the obvious test eludes me in a moment of possible excitement. Odd that it rang up around the nickle area, but then there is so much junk there, and I picked it out of the same hole as other junky stuff. Should have done that before I posted! Stuck to a magnet like flies on poop! Oh well, Ill call it a vintage bearing. :lol:

Have you tried to clean it with a toothbrush at all? Putting a little knick in the metal to see if it's lead with a knife tip or something won't hurt anything.

Its a bearing. Operator error.

If it sticks to a magnet it's not a musket ball .musket balls are made from lead.

Bearing, should have tested it before I posted!:lookclose:

GOOD GRIEF!!!! :facepalm: Sometimes the obvious test eludes me in a moment of possible excitement. Odd that it rang up around the nickle area, but then there is so much junk there, and I picked it out of the same hole as other junky stuff. Should have done that before I posted! Stuck to a magnet like flies on poop! Oh well, Ill call it a vintage bearing. :lol:

Its a bearing. Operator error.

Bearing, should have tested it before I posted!:lookclose:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::dingding:

Back
Top Bottom