Pinpointing With The Double D Coil

diggin4clad

Elite Member
For 36 years I've always had a detector with a concentric coil and pinpointing with the concentric is fast and accurate. Last year I won an AT Pro and have been using it ever since. Pinpointing can be done three ways.....center of the coil, heel or toe of the coil, and wiggling the coil until the signal disappears which will center the target at the toe end of the coil. I never gave the "wiggle" method much thought until a couple of weeks ago. I tried and like it better than the other two ways. Anyone here use that method?

Wiggle/waggle while going forward or back and note where the audio drops out. On the AT Pro's standard coil that's pretty much the tip of the triangle. Do it again, but off the heel while waggling the coil forward. I stare at a spot on the ground and waggle a few times to verify that's where it's dropping out. The target will be on that spot unless it's a deeper coin sitting at an angle. I rarely do the pinpoint feature on the AT Pro or Equinox 800.

Wiggle back the DD. The only way to pinpoint with a DD in my opinion.
I totally agree...….

Do it all the time.
I'll be doing it all the time now too. Works better than the usual way.

Wiggle/waggle while going forward or back and note where the audio drops out. On the AT Pro's standard coil that's pretty much the tip of the triangle. Do it again, but off the heel while waggling the coil forward. I stare at a spot on the ground and waggle a few times to verify that's where it's dropping out. The target will be on that spot unless it's a deeper coin sitting at an angle. I rarely do the pinpoint feature on the AT Pro or Equinox 800.
I've been wiggling it backward so the spot is at the toe end of the coil.

My hubby does that with his AT Max and 250. But I whoop him in recovery time with my concentric. By the way how did you win that AtPro.. find of the year?

My hubby does that with his AT Max and 250. But I whoop him in recovery time with my concentric. By the way how did you win that AtPro.. find of the year?
I won it at a seeded hunt last October by being lucky enough to find the right token. Since I've started using the wiggle method my recovery time is as quick as with a concentric coil.

It depends if there’s garbage or extra targets around. Sometimes the “X” method. Other times with a single target...wiggle. Your method does work very well, and it’s fast.

It depends if there’s garbage or extra targets around. Sometimes the “X” method. Other times with a single target...wiggle. Your method does work very well, and it’s fast.

This is what I was going to say. :yes: I learned the wiggle-back method from this forum a while ago, and use it a lot. Quick, easy, and accurate...unless it's not. Then the X or the Hop Coil techniques come into play.

I won it at a seeded hunt last October by being lucky enough to find the right token. Since I've started using the wiggle method my recovery time is as quick as with a concentric coil.

Nice...thank you.

I am still learning my Tek Patriot (DD coil). Wjat os the X method?

It's when you swing the coil side to side over a target, then turn and swing over it from a 90 degree angle. You mentally draw a line on the ground each time, where the centerline of your coil is when the signal is the strongest. The 2 lines will cross, and X marks the spot!

Here's something copied off the 'net:

Pinpointing the Target

Once you have detected a target, you can avoid digging a large hole by pin
pointing the exact location of the target.
Use the following method for pinpointing using a Double D search coil. Due to the nature of the Double D search coil, the
strongest detection is achieved along a straight line from heel to toe through the center of the coil.

When the target is detected along the sweep line, draw a line at right angels to it, through the center of the coil.
Turn 90 and move along the line just drawn until you detect the target again.
Again, draw a line through the center of the search coil. Where the two lines meet is where the target lies.

Attachments

• pinpointdiagram.gif
    pinpointdiagram.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 399
For 36 years I've always had a detector with a concentric coil and pinpointing with the concentric is fast and accurate. Last year I won an AT Pro and have been using it ever since. Pinpointing can be done three ways.....center of the coil, heel or toe of the coil, and wiggling the coil until the signal disappears which will center the target at the toe end of the coil. I never gave the "wiggle" method much thought until a couple of weeks ago. I tried and like it better than the other two ways. Anyone here use that method?

It's the only way I pinpoint. It's so dang fast. Just hit the target, and wiggle down until you've isolated side to side (which also helps determine size of target), and back it off, until presto, it's at the tip. When I kneel to use the pinpointer 95% of the time, it's right on target. (Sometimes it's deep).

Love the method, and won't use anything but DD as a result.

I've seen people change positions and detect again from a different angle... and I'm like 'WHY?' if they've got a DD! You can find width, and length without changing position!

Skippy

This is what I was going to say. :yes: I learned the wiggle-back method from this forum a while ago, and use it a lot. Quick, easy, and accurate...unless it's not. Then the X or the Hop Coil techniques come into play.
I saw the wiggle method on a Garrett video and gave it a try. I think it's the best way to pinpoint with a Double D coil.

Thank you immensely. I used to MD the Jersey Shore decades ago, but it was a concentric coil and dry sand with a 25 dollar yard sale detector. The new detectors are light years in quality and technology from what I used. I looked at a youtube video. OMG the wiggle is EZ!

I've only ever used a DD coil on the ATMax...no experience with a concentric. When I started last April, I used the pinpointing technique and it took me forever to actually retrieve targets. I learned the wiggling method and my finds quickly escalated in number and quality (as they should...dig more signals more efficiently and you'll find more stuff). Unless the ground is very dry, my target is usually on the dug face of the plug. For whatever reason, very dry ground complicates targeting.

I've only ever used a DD coil on the ATMax...no experience with a concentric. When I started last April, I used the pinpointing technique and it took me forever to actually retrieve targets. I learned the wiggling method and my finds quickly escalated in number and quality (as they should...dig more signals more efficiently and you'll find more stuff). Unless the ground is very dry, my target is usually on the dug face of the plug. For whatever reason, very dry ground complicates targeting.

It's conductivity. Wet ground conducts better. I agree, Dry ground makes it harder.

I've learned to think, though, that the DD coil is a dinner plate on it's edge. In wet ground, the dinner plate is larger. In dry ground, the dinner plate is smaller.

The detection field is not changed, technically, just the conductivity of the ground... but for illustrative purposes, think of it as a smaller plate, on edge. This smaller field actually is an arc, which means things that used to be "directly under" the tip, which actually were caught by the larger arc, are now no longer caught by it, resulting in the object typically being CLOSER to you, than they used to be (instead of at the tip of the hole, they're actually in the wall of it nearest you).

in dry conditions, try moving your hole back a bit, toward yourself, when you dig.

To illustrate this, I quickly drew it out.

Cheers,

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 339
It's conductivity. Wet ground conducts better. I agree, Dry ground makes it harder.

I've learned to think, though, that the DD coil is a dinner plate on it's edge. In wet ground, the dinner plate is larger. In dry ground, the dinner plate is smaller.

The detection field is not changed, technically, just the conductivity of the ground... but for illustrative purposes, think of it as a smaller plate, on edge. This smaller field actually is an arc, which means things that used to be "directly under" the tip, which actually were caught by the larger arc, are now no longer caught by it, resulting in the object typically being CLOSER to you, than they used to be (instead of at the tip of the hole, they're actually in the wall of it nearest you).

in dry conditions, try moving your hole back a bit, toward yourself, when you dig.

To illustrate this, I quickly drew it out.

Cheers,

Skippy

That makes perfect sense, Skippy. I will have to make a conscious effort to pull back my plug point in the future. It has finally rained here in the FL panhandle...it was terribly dry for almost a month and made the ground as hard as concrete (along with that targeting issue). Thanks for the explanation!

Good subject. I only hunt with DD coils on the 705. Most places I hunt have high mineralization. Yeah I like the wiggle pull towards the feet. I use it when I want to be quick. We are already swinging back n forth so going into the wiggle requires little. I hit/stick the point of the Sampson where the signal drops off.
705 has 2 pinpoint modes Auto and Sizing and I do like playing around with them too. I'm usually in no big hurry but occasionally speed it up so the wiggle gos relatively fast for such occasions.

Back
Top Bottom