Key Date 1921-D Merc Dime, 1914-S Lincoln on local hunt

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Headed north to Missoula Montana to hunt this afternoon, but I could see rain showers over the city, so I turned around and came back to a nearby small Montana town. I've tried this town before, and the curb strips have been hammered by a couple of local guys, but what the heck...

Sure enough, hardly a high tone to speak of in the strips, I did find one small section that had some Wheaties, but other than that, the strips were devoid of targets. I did manage to get permission at a 1908 house, and my only Shiny of the day was a Mercury Dime. I didn't look at the date until I got home, and boy I was surprised to have found the 2nd rarest of the Mercury Dimes, the 1921-D. Checking out the Wheat Pennies, I was pleased to see a 1914-S, another good date and mint mark. Also found what looks Silver Washed, some sort of Methodist church pin in nice shape, plus a B.E. RY. CO. (Butte Electric Railway Co.) fare token,and some sort of tiny copper St. Christopher medallion.

Don't know if any of you guys or gals are doing this, but I am trying to put together a Wheat Cent album consisting exclusively of penny finds that I have found with my AT Pro. The 1914-S was needed, so that was great! I still need the 1909 VDB, 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, the 1912-D, 1931-S, 32-P 33-P and for some reason I can't seem to dig a 1948-P.

Thanks for your interest, and was happily surprised with that 21-D Merc!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 423
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 379
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 356
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 363
Nice going. And ... of course .... we do not allow our key date S and D mints to travel east of the Mississippi. Right ? :sissyfight:

Don't know if any of you guys or gals are doing this, but I am trying to put together a Wheat Cent album consisting exclusively of penny finds that I have found with my AT Pro. The 1914-S was needed, so that was great! I still need the 1909 VDB, 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, the 1912-D, 1931-S, 32-P 33-P and for some reason I can't seem to dig a 1948-P.

Thanks for your interest, and was happily surprised with that 21-D Merc!

Nice hunting and plenty to learn from your write up. There were several points you could have given up and gone home, including before you even got started. You persisted and kept sniffing out better dirt.

I actually just received one of those wheat penny books yesterday. Completing it will add another angle to digging wheats. Also, I can keep "trading up" until I dig one with a nice even patina that doesn't require anything more than a little toothpick action. For the ones that aren't worth more than a few cents anyway I like to experiment with tumbling and other cleaning techniques to pretty them up.

Two pretty rare coins in one hunt! Nice work. Congrats!

Thanks JWP!

Nice finds. Congrats. HD

Thank you HD!

Nice hunting and plenty to learn from your write up. There were several points you could have given up and gone home, including before you even got started. You persisted and kept sniffing out better dirt.

I actually just received one of those wheat penny books yesterday. Completing it will add another angle to digging wheats. Also, I can keep "trading up" until I dig one with a nice even patina that doesn't require anything more than a little toothpick action. For the ones that aren't worth more than a few cents anyway I like to experiment with tumbling and other cleaning techniques to pretty them up.

Thanks ToySoldier, yeah I almost just headed back home, glad I didn't! And yes, trying to complete one of the penny books does add some interest to detecting. I know the East Coast guys are spoiled with Large Cents, Colonial Coppers, and Spanish Silver, :) but out here even Indian Head Cents are a hard pull, so chasing down a complete set of Wheat Cents does add interest.

Nice work! Congrats!!

Thank you Tom!

You have been on a great run of late David digging some key date coins. Huge congrats on this 21D Merc. Your coin has some ware but is completely readable. Love the old "S" mint Wheat also. Some very impressive coins, congrats. Trapper

Congrats on the nice key date merc dime and wheaties! :woot:

Now you're trying to keep all the D mints too, huh? :lol:

Thanks Wolf-Dog! Sounds like Tom in CA wants us Montana guys to throw our lot in with all the Left Coast guys and include all S & D mint marks as "private property!"

Definitely some nice MT finds!! We stumbled onto a good area recently that's been giving up some silvers so hopefully we can pull a few more out. The weather has been super nice lately as opposed to the heat! Congrats on the key date! Amanda and I have one of those Lincoln albums and we only use found pennies. Earliest one is a 1913.

The semi-key merc and wheat are nice. Congrats on the finds. I am also working on a dug wheat penny book. I am missing the 09s, 09svdb, 12s, 14d, and for some reason the 32d, and 33d.

Nice finds . Ambitious goals. Most of the dates you
are missing are key dates. I wouldn’t hold my breath on the 1909S VDB.

Definitely some nice MT finds!! We stumbled onto a good area recently that's been giving up some silvers so hopefully we can pull a few more out. The weather has been super nice lately as opposed to the heat! Congrats on the key date! Amanda and I have one of those Lincoln albums and we only use found pennies. Earliest one is a 1913.

Thank you, and glad to hear you have been pulling some silver!

Nice key date dime and Lincoln.....the other stuff is nice too.

Thank you!

The semi-key merc and wheat are nice. Congrats on the finds. I am also working on a dug wheat penny book. I am missing the 09s, 09svdb, 12s, 14d, and for some reason the 32d, and 33d.

Thanks Jam, yeah we share a few dates needed for sure, good luck and have fun in checking those wheaties. Went thru about 50 recently and no new additions to the album.

Nice finds . Ambitious goals. Most of the dates you are missing are key dates. I wouldn’t hold my breath on the 1909S VDB.

Thanks Gaspipe - I agree, though out west I have the best chance of getting an 09-S and 09-SVDB!

Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom