• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on equinox 800 and 15" coil

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Need some advice on locating deep targets with my Equionox and 15" coil.

I have a good permission on an 1890 - 1910 era home. Was searching the six inch coil in a small area about 20 x 50 feet and around the foundation of the home. But was mostly getting modern clad withing 1-2 inches. After I hunted that area pretty good, I hunted it again with the 6" coil and was listening for deeper signals and pulled out two wheats. the soil was bone dry and hard digging the deeper signals. Dropped my sensitivity down to 17.

We expect rain this weekend so monday I am going to hit the same area with the 15" coil and will drop the recovery down to 4 for the deep coil. Will increase the sensitivity up to about 20 - 22.

On the 800 are the deeper signals fainter? I am using bin tones to emphasize everything 21 but still hearing faintly all below 22. Using Field 2.

any other advice for this type of hunt? Mainly looking for old coins.

Need some advice on locating deep targets with my Equionox and 15" coil.

I have a good permission on an 1890 - 1910 era home. Was searching the six inch coil in a small area about 20 x 50 feet and around the foundation of the home. But was mostly getting modern clad withing 1-2 inches. After I hunted that area pretty good, I hunted it again with the 6" coil and was listening for deeper signals and pulled out two wheats. the soil was bone dry and hard digging the deeper signals. Dropped my sensitivity down to 17.

We expect rain this weekend so monday I am going to hit the same area with the 15" coil and will drop the recovery down to 4 for the deep coil. Will increase the sensitivity up to about 20 - 22.

On the 800 are the deeper signals fainter? I am using bin tones to emphasize everything 21 but still hearing faintly all below 22. Using Field 2.

Deeper target can be lower volume sounding. Not really a gradual process though as depth deepens. So modulation of audio is not necessarily labeled as linear like some other VLF detectors. My opinion of course.

Running lower Sensitivty can make audio sound more linear on deeper items vs higher Sensitivty settings.

In my experience with the 11" coil dimes and wheats 7 inches plus are more faint. Be looking for 17-19 IHP's since the place is old enough for them.

Depending on EMI I like to run at least 20 sensitivity if trash is not bad. Higher than 20 if possible and I know targets are deep.

Did you end up finding anything?

The answer to your question about proportional audio is in the manual. See below.

If a tone bin is set to be loud in your custom volume settings then it should still get quieter at depth. (It seems like something worth testing.....how custom volumes changes the proportional audio.)

As somebody else above mentioned, it's not as dramatic as some other detectors (e.g., AT series), but deeper stuff is quieter, all else equal.

If there's not a ton of trash, and you want deep coin sized targets, then I don't see any reason to go under 22 sensitivity. Trashier areas at 20-21 will give the targets some space to come through the trash without losing too much depth. If you go down to 20 or 21 and want deep targets, then you'll want to go slower and use low-mid recovery speed and low-mid iron bias. That'll help with depth and increase chances of picking up a blip of a deeper high conductor. Bad EMI and/or shallow target hunting is the only reason I'd go under 20.

Attachments

• page17.JPG
    page17.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 222
Back
Top Bottom