Gold ring #9 FTY - 3 Nice diamonds with 25 other diamonds on it, and another soldered on band.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Today, I had the pleasure of detecting an area where I KNEW a ring had been lost. Someone contacted me about an ad I had placed to try to get the 22K gold ring back to the owner. They asked if I'd found anything at a local middle school. I told them no, but I'd go check when I had a chance.

I went out to the field, and 75 minutes later I had a ladies wedding ring in hand. I dug out the guys number, and he put me in touch with his daughter-in-law (who lost the ring), and she described it perfectly! She'd lost it about 2 weeks prior, at a little league t-ball game.

She drove the 30 minutes over to the school and met me in the parking lot to pick it up. Offered a reward, which I declined (and the father-in-law texted back, offering something, too, which I also declined.)

it's not often I get to give back a wedding ring. The gal almost cried. It was fun and a feel good moment. Park pirate I may be, and I love it when I get to keep the gold, but going searching for a known lost ring is a cool experience.

Was fun to get it back! Here's the pictures of the ring at the find, and the return.

The last picture was the second ring I found, about 10 minutes after the diamond one. It was on a chain, and just a junker. Fun find, still. ;)

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 569
  • return.jpg
    return.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 554
That was a very nice thing you did. Good fortune is sure to come your way.

HD

:dingding: I love finding gold just like all of us but returns are my favorite. Kudos on a job well done!

It's really too bad that returned finds are not on the news more...another GOOD NEWS event for our hobby!! GREAT JOB!!

So that was Gold #9 this year, eh? Nice! They were smart to call you. I think a lot of ring-losing people just eventually accept that it's gone forever, and never have any thought of using a metal detector, or finding someone who uses one.
I know the feeling when someone looks you up for your skills to help find something they lost. It sure feels good when you find it for them! Congrats Skippy!

Thanks everyone. I think, though, my “karma” was created in advance. I’ve had a great year already!!

Awesome find and infinitely better return. Kudos to you Skippy.

Question for you and every other swinger. I'll preface this with the full disclosure it deserves. I do not own a MD yet. I've been reading here and posting a little. Trying to learn as much as I can from you experts.

I've been in business for close to 50 years. Most of my best contacts have been through networking and referrals. When you returned the ring and declined any reward, would it have been inappropriate for you to casually mention to the young lady and her FiL that any referral to other property owners to offer access and permission to hunt their properties would be greatly appreciated? Obviously make it blatantly sincere that by no means is it at all a prerequisite for the return of the ring, just that gaining access to hunt is not always easy, but always welcome.

Thoughts?

Well done. You can see how happy she was to have it back. You did the right thing here.

Awesome find and infinitely better return. Kudos to you Skippy.

Question for you and every other swinger. I'll preface this with the full disclosure it deserves. I do not own a MD yet. I've been reading here and posting a little. Trying to learn as much as I can from you experts.

I've been in business for close to 50 years. Most of my best contacts have been through networking and referrals. When you returned the ring and declined any reward, would it have been inappropriate for you to casually mention to the young lady and her FiL that any referral to other property owners to offer access and permission to hunt their properties would be greatly appreciated? Obviously make it blatantly sincere that by no means is it at all a prerequisite for the return of the ring, just that gaining access to hunt is not always easy, but always welcome.

Thoughts?

Oh I suppose if I property hunted, it would be more than appropriate. However, I just hunt parks and schools! No reason for me to ask permissions or for referrals. :)

Back
Top Bottom