Fisher F2 - Coil Upgrade

Splix76

I have read many other posts on my detector and which coil to get. I accept that a new coil will help but won't upgrade my unit to a Fisher F75 level of performance.

I can get a coil for sub $200 and the F75 is over $500, so I am strongly considering a DD coil. I do not want a large coil as there soil in Utah can be very full of junk and minerals and target separation is key for me.

I feel the knife line DD coil will offer me better results than the sno-cone shaped circle coil provides, is the main reason I want to get a coil.

I am considering the following coils:
Cors Scout 12.5x8.5
Fisher 11" DD

I am leaning towards the Cors based on reviews I have found so far, but would welcome input from anyone willing to share.

I am taking a flyer on the scout, it'll still give me better depth and discrimination while covering a bit more area. Wish me luck!!

I'll report back after I have had it and run it for a few weeks. It arrives July 1st and I'm hitting a ghost town with a friend on July 5th, so I should have good data by then.

I always thought it was a bit silly to spend the same or more money on a coil as they spent on the detector...but many do so I guess this is a thing.

On the F2 the 8" coil got to about 8" in good soil most of the time, the 10" concentric got a bit further up to maybe 10" or so with clearer signals on most targets past 5"...that is what I found when I spent $59 on mine.
From all I read switching to the 11" Fisher coil, (for the F2), and other after market bigger DD coils got most a little more depth.
On a few they swore the were getting way more than than an extra 2" but from what I could tell the average gain for that coil money spent didn't get a whole lot more than 2".
I got that by spending $59 on a cheap, bigger concentric.
As far as target separation..,not sure there will be as big of a difference between the two coil types as you think but maybe you will get what you need.

Your money and I hope you get high value for money spent.. I have a Cors coil on a Fisher and it works well.
Your next move should be a more powerful detector like a Patriot which has that bigger coil and possesses tell power to get deep using any coil.
Or something like that F75 you mentioned.

Look up Magic metal detector coils by MGC labs. They make the most reasonable prices DD after market coils and several for Fisher. I have a 13 inch DD for one of my units and it was only 109.00 shipped brand new. They are made in Russia and are good quality too. Or if you want F75 performance get the Makro Racer 2. I got mine for under 400.00 shipped brand new. Call around and find a dealer to give you the best price. It is by far the best bang for the buck out there at the moment. Big screen built like a tank and great performance. Easy to use and better than the F75 ltd I had. Plus less EMI interference

Thanks for the advice. One of the reasons I wanted the DD was the difference in the fields they create, as well as a larger sweeping area to cover more ground, while being able to back down targeting for accuracy in digging.

We'll see if it was worth the money after it arrives. Worst case is I'll have the coil for my next detector upgrade. :)

Not really, if you are getting a coil made to fit on a 5.9 kHz F2/F4, and you should otherwise you are probably wasting your money, then don't expect it to fit on or work well on any other detectors...even in the Fisher line.

Well that isn't great news. I do appreciate your advice, the more I learn the fewer mis-steps I make going forward. I may have to call this coil a learning expense if it doesn't pan out, it was just over $100 so not a massive mis-step.

I do plan to upgrade my detector in 2020, once I feel that my skill level justifies it. For now the F2 and I are a good match and getting better each trip out.

Back
Top Bottom