Found a promising spot/ Scouting Hunt

Vermonster

Elite Member
Well, the 1880-1910 site that gave me tons of headstamps, cool relics, and my only silver coin to date is starting to grass over due to the recent rains out here. Rain is hard enough to come by, so when grass does grow, I will leave it alone for a couple of months. It'll probably be dead again by April or May anyway. But, I was able to find another target on public land about a half mile away using old topo maps. It was there in the first maps produced in 1903, and when they were redrawn in 1945, it wasn't there. Wasn't exactly sure I could find it.

However, looking around, I soon saw an old stone wall similar to the other location. So using that as a reference, I was able to find the old remnants of a structure. I started finding surface pottery and colored glass, then the other surface pieces starting appearing (Photo #1). That was all I needed to see. Went back a day later and did a quick 90 minute scouting hunt.

In that time, I pulled about 35+ headstamps (All 1880-1910), including some of the earliest Peters designs that I had never seen. Also found some .44 Henry rounds, and a monster of a 56-50 Spencer round, made by Winchester. Got 4 spoons, 2 of which are the same set. They have C. Ives stamped on the underside, and a crown with "Royal" stamped on the top handle. I am assuming Currier and Ives, but I can only find info on their flatware, not any silverware (Help???). Finally, was also able to pull what was later identified (thanks) as a Wind cover for a pipe, which I had never seen before. Very neat, has some little fleur de lis type designs. Can't find any other marks, and it looks like some reddish color on the metal, so I doubt it's silver, but really cool. Oh, and the clock part in the group photo is stamped "Waterbury Clock Co.".

So, needless to say, I think this place needs more searching. Funny thing is, I found 5-6 of the 40 or so items as surface finds, just under the dry grass. This California dirt is so dry and rocky, stuff lays on the top from time to time. I would love another silver, but my goal is going to be an Indian Penny.......

Surface_zps29c449f5.jpg

Misc_zps0d7127ff.jpg

MiscFinds_zpsa01d8ea3.jpg

Chain_Gang_zpsf9580480.jpg

Man, killer site! That's got some serious potential. I hope you hit the jackpot. Already liking what you've already found. That spoon is interesting. It doesn't appear corroded. Being such an old spot, I wonder what kind of metal it could be besides silver or SS that wouldn't corrode. Pewter maybe? Are you sure it's not silver? Plated silver is usually found flaking off. Or am I mistaken about the lack of corrosion?

Cool relics , looks like you have a spot that will keep you digging a long time !
HH

Way to go finding such a great place to go! I'm trying to work on that more.

Got a little wood stove leg in there even.

Nice hunting!

Way to go finding such a great place to go! I'm trying to work on that more.

Got a little wood stove leg in there even.

Nice hunting!

Actually, I think it's most of the stove. Couple pieces I didn't add to the photo..... :lol:

Some nice recoveries from this new location. Looks like you will have another great site to hunt. Look forward to posts of more finds in the future. Jack

Looks like you've found a great spot with lots of potential. But seeing that green grass sucks, we've had highs of ten and lows below zero lately. I'd need a jackhammer to dig right now:mad::lol: GL HH TOM

Awesome job on putting in the research and finding such a great spot on public land! I'm sure with the kind of house relics you've found you are going to turn up at least one period coin! Good luck!

I think your spoon might have G. Ives on it, rather that C. - could it be J. G. Ives? For some reason that looks like a G to me.
J G. Ives were out of Illinois, I believe - I think they made spoons, etc. from coin silver.

I think your spoon might have G. Ives on it, rather that C. - could it be J. G. Ives? For some reason that looks like a G to me.
J G. Ives were out of Illinois, I believe - I think they made spoons, etc. from coin silver.

Actually, yes, that's what I thought, but when I googled it, all that kept coming up was Currier & Ives......

Let me look at that.....

Back
Top Bottom