Flying with your MD overseas ...how to?

Rammjäger

Elite Member
Next year I'm planning to fly overseas ,taking my Tesoro MD
with me.
Which regulations/ measures at the customs/airport should I take in
consideration?
Could I take ,for example, the circuitry box in my backpack without
batteries to avoid any damage to this MD's delicate part?
Could someone help me with some tips ?
Did someone fly with their MD overseas before ?- Thanks
Rammjäger

Good question. I am flying from Texas to Central Canada this summer and would sure love to bring one of my detectors but I fear it might be damaged in the luggage heap. I need help on this too.

where are you going, i brought mine back from the Philippines taken apart with no batteries in side,no problems. i put it in the checked in luggage with lots of clothing around it for padding. i sent it over there in a package ahead of us so it was waiting no problems either way.

yo R

From the land of the Bluenose.....taking a detector overseas is no problem...do it all the time. Best advice is to take it apart and put in a hard shell suit case or soft surrounded with clothingtightly. Never take it in your carry on.

Only problems I have encountered is in Toronto as i had to put my machine together to show a Seik that it was indeed a detector and second time in Cuba....took it and gave it back to me when I departed.

UK is no problem but detecting in Turkey, Eygpt and Italy is basically a no no. Enjoy your trip...when it comes.

I would also put locks on my suitcases as if in some countries they do the ctx scan....might what a detector!

I would have thought carry on was best. Be prepared to turn it on the show them that it is a detector. If packing it, I would only use some sort of hard case. Customs is definetely going to open and inspect it, locked or not.

I took my E-Trac to UK about 2 years ago. Broke everything down and packed it in my checked baggage amongst the clothing for protection. I did put the detector manual rubber banded to the control unit - in case it got opened they immediately knew what it was. The battery was taken out of the unit too.
Absolutely no problems.

where are you going, i brought mine back from the Philippines taken apart with no batteries in side,no problems. i put it in the checked in luggage with lots of clothing around it for padding. i sent it over there in a package ahead of us so it was waiting no problems either way.
I'm going to South America . If I take the control box with me in my backpack
should I declare it at the check in before flying?
The other possibility is by risking it at the suitcase......?

From the land of the Bluenose.....taking a detector overseas is no problem...do it all the time. Best advice is to take it apart and put in a hard shell suit case or soft surrounded with clothingtightly. Never take it in your carry on.

Only problems I have encountered is in Toronto as i had to put my machine together to show a Seik that it was indeed a detector and second time in Cuba....took it and gave it back to me when I departed.

UK is no problem but detecting in Turkey, Eygpt and Italy is basically a no no. Enjoy your trip...when it comes.

I would also put locks on my suitcases as if in some countries they do the ctx scan....might what a detector!
I will take the advice of leslie and pack it in my suitcase.
Meanwhile,doing a research in google,I just read similar tips.
Thanks to all !

A somewhat related discussion..

I sold a Whites V3i unit a while back and took it to UPS to ship it out, and I tried to explain what it was to the lady getting it ready to ship (was boxed up already..) finally she said "it's like a computer then.." and I said "sure.." her next question "is there batteries in it?" once I said "Yes.." it was "Ground is only method it can be shipped.. " has anyone ever ran into this? Sorry if I thread jacked this one..

Back
Top Bottom