Best travel scoop and anything I need to be aware of for vacation flying?

Jack Flynn

Elite Member
What's a good travel scoop? I'm sure it needs to be aluminum, breaks down to fit in luggage. Anything I need to know about flying with my Excal II. I'm gonna order a travel shaft for it that breaks into 3 pieces. Should I pack it in the luggage also or separately? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I haven't traveled with one yet, but I like the ideas posted about buying a scoop that takes a shovel handle and buying a handle when you get there, leave it when you go home. This is if you are going to be traveling to a place where you can buy a handle. It would give you a full size scoop and easy to pack instead of the smaller travel scoops.

My travel scoop is the RTG break down travel scoop, but take the spring clip out and use a SS bolt and nut, they do wobble if not bolted or welded.

I use the RTG Pro Aluminum Travel Water Scoop. It breaks down into 2 pieces so you should have no problem packing it with your clothes and sending with your checked luggage. I ride a motorcycle almost all summer so I wanted a scoop that would break down into 2 pieces but yet it is very durable. I put it in my saddlebags with no problems. As far as your detector goes, I would break it down and carry it on the plane in a backpack. There is no way I would send my $1000+ metal detector through checked baggage, (although I have read that some do). Just tell them there is a metal detector in your bag as you go through each checkpoint. Coming home I was stopped going through one if the checkpoints and I thought "here we go", they opened my bag and took out the water bottle I forgot I had. They are more worried about water bottles then detectors.

You use that in the sand(rocks) at Calf Pasture?

oh yeah... although I rarely hunt that beach... in 9 years of beach hunting I have probably been there 3 times... its a dump and very few wear anything but walmart jewelry there :laughing:

I traveled last year....so here is what I did.

Removed the handle from my Ruslan scoop and tossed it with the luggage along with the scoop hardware. When I got to my destination, went to a local Big Box hardware store and bought a wood handle. The store let me use their display drill so I could assemble the handle to the scoop.

I know it was a $20.00 loss for the handle, but when I was ready to leave, I just disassembled the handle and pack only the scoop back in the suit case.

I use the Minelab bag that came with my X-Terra 705. The bag will hold my Excal, my Sand Shark, and my scoop handle (wood) with some bubble wrap and T-shirts for padding. The scoop goes in my other checked bag. All other electronics are in my carry-on backpack.

I have had a couple of knobs on the Excal break off during transit, so I always carry a couple of spares.

I used the rtg travel scoop w/stainless lip. Disassembled 'tector and scoop and put them in large checked bag....padded w/beach towels, bathing suits, socks, etc...but, carry the batteries and packs in your carry-on. checked bag should be supported sides - not soft-sided....Mexico...not a problem. gl and hh

For my Florida trip i bought a pitcher when i got down there and borrowed a drill and drilled some holes in it. worked pretty good. Just be sure to drill holes smaller than a dime, and lots of them as close together as you can without compromising the structure. I also packed it and brought it home so you could make one and bring it with your luggage. It wound up being pretty sturdy.

Here's a photo of my finds from the week (only one was at the beach) and you can see the scoop on the left.
740680_10200235741194900_993251877_o_zpsca00ef88.jpg

oh yeah... although I rarely hunt that beach... in 9 years of beach hunting I have probably been there 3 times... its a dump and very few wear anything but walmart jewelry there :laughing:

Are you saying there is something wrong with Walmart jewelry ??
50 million Americans may have an issue with you :D

Sell that unworked travel scoop and buy a Garden Weasel for your collection of digging instruments :laughing:

Considering buying one for myself:D 3 piece that is. I've held/used that exact scoop (friends scoop) and it felt pretty solid...as a traveling scoop. I abuse my equipment however and wouldn't expect it to last as a primary scoop. You know what type of terrain you'll be hunting in?

aquaman

That is a 3 piece plugger rod,here is the link,William will hook you up,i run all 3 piece pluggers and 1 two piece ,http://rodsbyplugger.com/ dont forget to get a knob guard and stand,he now makes a chest mount for Cz20s and 21s,i bought one,he sells everything on ebay to,but i buy direct,happy hunting Earl

Just got back from California

Disassembled my AT Pro and brought a small beach scoop all packed in a cary-on.
Make sure you put your Lesche in your CHECKED bag.
77EAB051-9DEB-49D6-87E6-AAD7556B6416-3866-00000963654ABB7E.jpg

Great thread!!!! I just did a deal with a forum member on here for this very thing! I really hope this jimmy Sierra travel scoop does the trick I'm sure it will so what the detector goes carry on? OP soon as I get ill let you know what I think.

Since I have 3 beach scoops already, I wonder how hard it would be to just cut one of my stainless lipped ones and insert an aluminum shaft inside and pin it with a couple of allen screws when I get there? MMMM I've got my lifelong buddy who has virtually a machine shop/gunsmithing shop that I bet can do just that. Think it would be hard?

Back
Top Bottom