Keeping Banks happy

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Ok. Addicted CRH'er for about a month now. Have been getting rolls from the bank where we have our personal accounts. The one with our business accounts is a pain.

Anyway, today the head teller stops me and asks whether these rolls are for business or personal. It's all really for personal, but we have a business and I think he won't let me continue if I say "personal". So he is going to have someone call me to tell me about their business accounts.

Should I be worried? I like them because they have no minimums, no fees, free checks, etc.

I've done 2 boxes of halves, 4 of dimes, and 5 each of nickels and Pennies.

This is going to sounds sort of ranty and some may not agree with me but here's my take on it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems to me that some tellers have bad attitudes and go out of their way to be a pain. For example, a couple of my tellers will make me prove that I have an account and some will ask a million questions, some will offer unwanted financial advice.

I used to worry about agitating them but then I remembered all the ridiculous fees they have imposed over the years and I stopped caring. For example, wells fargo just sent me a letter saying that my checking account now had a $5 a month fee but that I didn't have to pay it because I have direct deposit. This is the same account I've had for 11 years, I also have a credit card, debit card and safe deposit box with them. They obviously haven't gone out of their way to be courteous or reward my loyalty so I don't feel similar obligation to them.

You're not doing anything wrong, the banks are there to serve customers. It's like if you went to McDonalds and the burger jockey was rude because they were too lazy to make your burger. They can just buck up and meet your needs.

Also, when they call you there's no reason to get yourself into a web of lies. Just tell them you aren't interested.

Just try to control your obsession and limit how many coins you get at a time. Get some from one bank and some from another. If they want to irritate you, there are other banks. I use a local bank with a few branches throughout the state and have no problems. I even get the atm fees back if I tell them about them.

I have only been asked a few times at different banks if I have an account there. One that I did not have an account for limited me to $100 of coins per trip, the other one just kept threatening me I would have to pay a non-account holder fee of $0.50 a roll, but they never did charge me. I have had to cut back on bank trips as I got busy, but I personally wouldn't worry about banks you get rolls from. Just have to focus on keeping the dump bank tellers happy. For that I suggest a free hand with gift baskets and plenty of smiles. Best of luck!

your not taking the coins back the same bank your buying them from are you? That is a sure fire way to get them cranky.

just be kind. Make sure you are not overdoing it and treat them good. Bake some cookies and you will be back on their good side.

Tell them your business is coin related. :laughing:

My bank, US Bank, made me set up a business account. I don't remember the specifics, but it was pretty easy and they didn't charge me anything. They just needed it set up as a business for their records because I was ordering so much coinage per week.

Not sure about where you bank, but there are plenty of banks out there that will work with you if you want.

Good luck CRH!
G2M

A box of each per week surely isn't too much, right? Considering the volume some folks here accomplish (but I'm sure they've built up a relationship with the tellers).

And I made sure that I don't dump where I get the rolls.

A box of each per week surely isn't too much, right? Considering the volume some folks here accomplish (but I'm sure they've built up a relationship with the tellers).

And I made sure that I don't dump where I get the rolls.

Compared to others on here, that isn't much, but compared to me, thats more than I would feel comfortable. I was doing a box per week and it felt like that was about the tolerance level of the tellers. You can sense when they are thinking it's too much and sounds like they are giving off that vibe.

I have no idea how people get 5+ boxes from banks without the bank being annoyed, but people do it. They must have kinder tellers than I do.

I have no idea how people get 5+ boxes from banks without the bank being annoyed, but people do it. They must have kinder tellers than I do.

Yep gameoftag, kinder and gentler tellers! KT's bank advertises that they are the friendly bank. Believe it, if a teller ever got cranky with KT, He would certainly mention it to the Bank Manager! BTW, get to know the Bank Manager, he/she controls everything that goes on there! Too many complaints and that teller is outta there!

Helps to visit with the manager occasionally, KT's BM just bought a motorcycle and KT has offered to go on some rides with him on KT's Steed! One of these days we shall!

And remember, tellers are just people too. If one hops you, you might consider finding out if they are having a bad day and what is their problem...a sympathetic ear goes a long way to smoothing over those bumps!

Anywho, best of luck!

BTW, sometimes my Bank Manager asks me if I would like to increase my halves purchases to 10 boxes a week! :shock: KT just lets him know that His Majesty may consider that but lets hold it at 5 for now!

Also the only person who ever really complained about KT's 5 boxes was the Loomis deliveryman...He seemed upset about the added weight, but the Bank Manager pointed out to him that he worked for the bank and had to deliver what the bank ordered as long as they had it in stock! That quietened him down!

And Yes, KT knows He has a bird's nest on the ground, and He never complains to the bank about anything! I am happy and they love a happy customer! HA HA

It is really none of their business what you are using the coin for.

I've been roll hunting for over 35 years, and have never paid a fee to order or dump.

If they want to press the issue, just move your account elsewhere. There are far too many banks that are hassle and fee-free.

This is going to sounds sort of ranty and some may not agree with me but here's my take on it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems to me that some tellers have bad attitudes and go out of their way to be a pain. For example, a couple of my tellers will make me prove that I have an account and some will ask a million questions, some will offer unwanted financial advice.

I used to worry about agitating them but then I remembered all the ridiculous fees they have imposed over the years and I stopped caring. For example, wells fargo just sent me a letter saying that my checking account now had a $5 a month fee but that I didn't have to pay it because I have direct deposit. This is the same account I've had for 11 years, I also have a credit card, debit card and safe deposit box with them. They obviously haven't gone out of their way to be courteous or reward my loyalty so I don't feel similar obligation to them.

You're not doing anything wrong, the banks are there to serve customers. It's like if you went to McDonalds and the burger jockey was rude because they were too lazy to make your burger. They can just buck up and meet your needs.

Off topic but I had a Wells Fargo account for over 20 years (back when it was thunderbird bank) bounced 1 check that THEY lost. 800$ in overdraft fees later and I was happy to give a big eff you to that bank. Been with a credit union ever since and love it! I still can't fathom why anyone would bank with a company that has stock holders to appease and has to screw it's customers out of a few bucks here and there to turn a profit. Just FYI, Wells Fargo alone pulls in 45million a year just in overdraft fees. It's how they make a very large portion of there money and a cornerstone of there business model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, sometimes my Bank Manager asks me if I would like to increase my halves purchases to 10 boxes a week! :shock: KT just lets him know that His Majesty may consider that but lets hold it at 5 for now!

Also the only person who ever really complained about KT's 5 boxes was the Loomis deliveryman...He seemed upset about the added weight, but the Bank Manager pointed out to him that he worked for the bank and had to deliver what the bank ordered as long as they had it in stock! That quietened him down

He probabaly wants you to increase so as to teach the Loomis guy that when he complains at that bank he gets a harder work load, not an easier one :laughing:

When I used to do this I had a cycle of 5 banks, all of which I had a free checking account in. I would switch out my coins and pick up my boxes at each on different days and never twice in the same week. That way they didn't get too annoyed. Also I would bring them doughnuts when their rolls produced well, or at one bank, scratch-off tickets because they didn't like doughnuts.

That reminds KT, both His Royal supply bank and Royal Dump branch deserve donuts for the good luck they have supplied Him with the past few weeks!

KT does this sometimes but not often as He does not want to the peasants to get too used to getting freebies! KT does not want to start a bank teller's welfare state! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom