Coin identification

Reed78

Hi guys,

New to the forum and figured I could knock out my introduction and possibly get some help with a find. Been detecting about 6 months. I'm from Louisville and use a Whites Coinmaster.

I found this on Saturday at a old farm directly next to the Ohio river last weekend. It was 8 inches down or so, scanned as a dollar. Have done a bit of research and came up with nothing except that it looks similar to some south/central American coins I have seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Reed

I apologize for the low quality of the pictures.

Attachments

• Coin2.jpg
    Coin2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 426
  • Coin3.jpg
    Coin3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 394
It is an 8 Reales Silver Coin from Mexico City.

If real, it's worth about $250-$300.

As deep as it was found, most likely real. But don't quote me on it.

Last edited:
Thanks Coin_Master

Can't for the life of me figure out how it ended up in a crop field in Kentucky. I'll take it to a coin dealer to see if it can be authenticated.

Check to see if there is an old ferry site near. ;)

When the license was issued to Joseph Boggs, in September, 1825, he was authorized to keep a ferry across the Missouri river 'from the bank where Wyatt Adkins lives.'" He was permitted to charge the following rates:

For a loaded wagon and team, $2.
Empty wagon and team,$1.
Dearborn and horses, or gig and horses, 62 1/4 cents.
Man and horse, 37 1/2 cents.
Single person, 18 1/8 cents.
Horses, each, 18 1/4 cents.
Sheep, hogs and cattle, each, 3 cents.
These charges were regulated by the division of the old Spanish dollar into bits. A bit was 12 1/2 cents; a bit and a half was 18 3/4 cents; 2 bits, 25 cents; 4 bits, 50 cents, and 8 bits a dollar.

Thanks for the good info. Never thought about the possibility of it being a ferry site. Any advice on the best way of researching something like that? County library?

Check your local county or town historical society records. That's where most of the newspaper records are kept or articles referencing commerce or major events. You can also google Ohio River Ferry Boats It would list crossings or docking sites.

If one was close by, any area on either side of river would have had huge encampments of travelers waiting to cross. Some records show wagon trains and such waiting as long as a week to cross a ferry point.

That's a great piece of history you got.

Back
Top Bottom