i have no idea,do any of you?

castletonking

hey folks,i found this curious item and the other pieces all together,in the ground about a quarter mile from an old revolutionary fort near me.it was rusted as all iron pieces are,but its very brittle and the iron is black and crumbly,i thought possibly a pipe of some sort,but no idea.and the other parts seemed to have something to do with it as well.anyone want to take a guess?

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 648
hey folks,i found this curious item and the other pieces all together,in the ground about a quarter mile from an old revolutionary fort near me.it was rusted as all iron pieces are,but its very brittle and the iron is black and crumbly,i thought possibly a pipe of some sort,but no idea.and the other parts seemed to have something to do with it as well.anyone want to take a guess?

rusted as all iron...very brittle...black and crumbly.

I think you nailed it.

Here is the clip, made to slip over thin metals when installing 1/4 panels from cars and other parts. light weight and cheaper than nuts. usually it is a self tapping screw/bolt that goes thru it

Attachments

• Auto Body Bolts, Nuts and Clips.jpg
    Auto Body Bolts, Nuts and Clips.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 499
Here is the clip, made to slip over thin metals when installing 1/4 panels from cars and other parts. light weight and cheaper than nuts. usually it is a self tapping screw/bolt that goes thru it
thats a good guess,but absolutely not it,the hollow(bolt)piece goes through a solid piece of metal,there is no clip.i know the piece you are talking about and this isn't it

i understand how you might think it's a clip,however the metal is rusted into layers,there is no clip there and the center peice is hollow(bolt?) that large chunk at the end on the top is curved and was broken off of something

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 481
i thought possibly a pipe of some sort

If it is from the AWI period I think it's safe to rule out a pipe. Majority of pipes from that time were clay followed by wood and corncob. Iron was used in all facets of life during that time from parts of guns, hoops for barrels, plows, some rakes, apple peelers and iron skillets just to name a few.

If it is from the AWI period I think it's safe to rule out a pipe. Majority of pipes from that time were clay followed by wood and corncob. Iron was used in all facets of life during that time from parts of guns, hoops for barrels, plows, some rakes, apple peelers and iron skillets just to name a few.

By pipe I meant water pipe and not smoking pipe. At least I think you are talking smoking pipes because I never heard of making water pipes out of corncobs. :grin: The piece on the right just reminded me of a half piece of iron water pipe we found out in the yard once because it seems curved in the picture.

piece on the left looks like half a horseshoe and the threaded piece could have been an old wagon clip of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom