Animal tags

To clarify the last photo. The last photo is 3 examples of the SAME tag, they all read : Swifts golden west fatted fowl.

Lou - those are identifying tags farmers use to label their animals prior to auction, so when the animal sells, it sells by the assigned number on it's ear tag, and the farmer gets paid.

I used to go to animal auctions with my dad. Amazing how they can sell thousands of animals in a day and keep track of who's they are and how much paid, etc.

Likewise, when the farmer who purchased the animal brings it back to the farm, the tag is either cut-off by the farmer, or it falls or breaks off by natural means, and usually into the farmers field or manure pile in the barn, which still winds up recycled in the field.

Forgot to mention. The smaller metal bands are used to identify the chickens by wrapping them around their legs.

Thanks for the info.

On the ear tags, i've found them locked in the closed position, opened, and in pieces.

The Swifts tag could have had a band on it at one time, but i've found a lot of them and none had a band on them.

I thought they might have been in 2 pieces, and after the chicken was slaughtered the back piece (shown in the middle photo), was pushed into the front part through the chickens skin to identify it as a Swift brand chicken.

I've searched the web, but couldn't find any info. on them.

I am digging up this very old thread because I just found 2 of the same thing.

I found them behind an old school. I'm sure the area has been hit hard so I was digging any thing above iron.... and popped these out.

They have a patent date of June 9 1924 on the back.

I'm thinking some kind of promotional lapel pin..... but am not sure.

26727304482_d924548048_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom