Garrett AT Pro - Depth readout seems off

AmateurDetector

Has anyone experienced problems with the depth readout on the Garrett AT Pro? I am getting a readout of 6-8 inches on almost everything, even when the target ends up right at the surface. I'm very new (only about a week) into metal detecting, so this could just be a setting that I need to figure out. Anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

The depth indicator is really only calibrated to coin sized objects. Anything larger might show up more shallow and anything smaller may read deeper than actual depth. That being said, ground conditions, ground balance, trash clutter, and coin orientation may all play a roll as well as how high off the ground you swing your coil. For a coin, the depth indicator is "from the coil to the object", so unless you've got your coil in contact with the ground add whatever space between your coil and the soil to the depth reading. For what it's worth, in my area, I can't seem to get a very accurate depth reading on coins. Even with a system reset and Auto Ground balance (~91-94) the depth indicator always seems to show a deeper reading than the actual coin depth with the exception of coins on the surface, they tend to read shallow, but anything over 3" and it's a !!!! shoot. The audio response in Pro mode is a better indicator of depth in my opinion, at least once you get a little practice. I have a feeling it has to do with the highly mineralized ground conditions we have here, but that's just speculation.

Has anyone experienced problems with the depth readout on the Garrett AT Pro? I am getting a readout of 6-8 inches on almost everything, even when the target ends up right at the surface. I'm very new (only about a week) into metal detecting, so this could just be a setting that I need to figure out. Anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Bent rod gave a great explanation. I think I talked to you yesterday as well.

Holler if you need more help.

The depth indicator is really only calibrated to coin sized objects. Anything larger might show up more shallow and anything smaller may read deeper than actual depth. That being said, ground conditions, ground balance, trash clutter, and coin orientation may all play a roll as well as how high off the ground you swing your coil. For a coin, the depth indicator is "from the coil to the object", so unless you've got your coil in contact with the ground add whatever space between your coil and the soil to the depth reading. For what it's worth, in my area, I can't seem to get a very accurate depth reading on coins. Even with a system reset and Auto Ground balance (~91-94) the depth indicator always seems to show a deeper reading than the actual coin depth with the exception of coins on the surface, they tend to read shallow, but anything over 3" and it's a !!!! shoot. The audio response in Pro mode is a better indicator of depth in my opinion, at least once you get a little practice. I have a feeling it has to do with the highly mineralized ground conditions we have here, but that's just speculation.

Good info!

Ive been seeing that anything larger or smaller than a coin throws the depth reading off quite a bit. Also anything close to the surface gets a variable reading kinda like it cant make up its mind. Something else Ive noticed is any target nearby can cause it to be very innacurate as well , even a crushed soda can 4 inches to the side if its shallow enough. But the depth reading is meant as a general suggestion anyway , if all conditions are ideal its relatively accurate but many times conditions arent ideal.

Back
Top Bottom