Medieval Seal Matrix

hiddenheraldics

On an outing late last year i had what i would consider to be a really productive day. Along with three silver hammereds i found this Lead Medieval Vessica shaped Seal Matrix. I was over the moon as its the first i had found.

This was returned from Portable Antiquity Scheme earlier in the week and reports as follows

Legend reads- 'S'IONIS . FIL...R meaning John son of W...

The central motive appears to be of three dots at the base with a possible flower formed from three swirled lines within a border.

On the reverse there is a raised fleur-de-lis

Attachments

• P1150844.jpg
    P1150844.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • P1150846.jpg
    P1150846.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,345
Heres me challenging the experts now.:lol:.I thought all these matrixes were an alloy.Its not copper so maybe tin(antinomy)

Some were made with bronze and others which i guess were easier and cheaper to produce were made from lead.
I'm no expert buddy infact i probably know no more than yourself. but like all of us its through sharing what we find and seeking advice from others that expands our knowledge base.

Some were made with bronze and others which i guess were easier and cheaper to produce were made from lead.
I'm no expert buddy infact i probably know no more than yourself. but like all of us its through sharing what we find and seeking advice from others that expands our knowledge base.

Yep,it all comes out in the wash.Cant remember who said it but the quote is,Whats the point of my having a mind if I cant change it?

I am always so impressed by what you guys find over there, and more so by your sharing it with the rest of us.:grin:

Gemmy

Back
Top Bottom