Enameled Mount

hiddenheraldics

Hi all back in May 2010 i posted a picture of a mount i found for ID

Well it was recently returned to me from the Portable Antiquity Scheme to be after being recorded and an accurate description has been established as outlined below.

Thought i would share this information to help others in the event that something similar may be found by another lucky detectorist.

And here it is:

Medieval mount dated 1100AD - 1300AD

The design in ChamplevA enamel is a trefoil with a circle in the middle containing a quatrefoil.

The general style, decorative content and use of enamel suggests that it was made at the Limoges school in France, probably in the 12th or 13th century.

As with many of the Limoges pieces, it seems likely that it would have decorated a reliquary (religeous casket) or a christian book.

Now i think that is so cool::wow:
Isn't history amazing!!!:yes::yes:

Attachments

• PA040798.jpg
    PA040798.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 788
  • PA040799.jpg
    PA040799.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 781
Cheers buddy, i am still fortunate to be able to detect on the same field as crop is really low. Manage to find a William the Lion hammered since but very little more. Can't grumble though ha!

Awesome find my friend, don't know if I'll ever find anything that old...Curt:grin:

Never say never!! Many of you fellow country men have visited the UK and found some really good finds. Also so reading some of the posts in the past there have been some awesome finds found in your country.

Sounds silly but every time i find a button i look to see if its a GW that might have found its way over the UK at some point :yes: Very unlikely but still i check Ha!!!

You guys amaze me with your finds over there. When I was in London 11 years ago I was amazed at the crypts @ Westminster Abbey.

You guys amaze me with your finds over there. When I was in London 11 years ago I was amazed at the crypts @ Westminster Abbey.

Yeah they really are impressive. Some of the grave stones in a church close to where i live date back to late 1600's. Sure does get the imagination going

My daughter and her husband are at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, but visit England often. She loves it, but he has trouble with the accents. She loves the food as well which I find a bit strange......:lol::lol::lol: Actually she likes the foreign food restaurants in England.:yes::yes::yes:

The pictures she sends of the churches over there are quite impressive!!!

Dusty

My daughter and her husband are at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, but visit England often. She loves it, but he has trouble with the accents. She loves the food as well which I find a bit strange......:lol::lol::lol: Actually she likes the foreign food restaurants in England.:yes::yes::yes:

The pictures she sends of the churches over there are quite impressive!!!

Dusty

Hi Dusty, The city i live in has a very impressive cathedral dating back to the Norman period. It was built with the natural defence of the river Wear with a castle to defend the access. Google Durham Cathedral

Back
Top Bottom