ACE250 finds...all metal mode all the time?!

grogmug

I've ready through SEVERAL topics on here on the ace250, and finally decided to just keep it on ALL METAL mode with the sensitivity all the way up when detecting. I went out for my first time today, and found NOTHING but JUNK all day long. I never switched it to any other mode, but ALL metal...is there a way to eliminate trash? Can you pick up sounds you normally can't hear with headphones? I went to a school built in 1916, and found a few coins around the baseball field, but mostly newer. Went to the playground and found several quarters, clad, but nothing old or worth mentioning. I did go by an old civil war campground and found an odd looking piece, which is in the picture I have attached. But can someone PLEASE give me tips on how to use my ACE250 on eliminating trash and what sensitivity levels and sounds I should be listening for in order to find things?! ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated.
Here is the OLD looking metal piece I came across in the field.

Attachments

• metalfinds1.jpg
    metalfinds1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 282
  • metalfinds2.jpg
    metalfinds2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 278
I personally rarely hunt in AM mode on the 250.
I find that the constant "bloops" of iron detection is more that I can handle.
In fact, the only time I really switch to that mode is when I'm getting a confusing signal and/or pinpoint, and I want to verify the presence of iron along with possibly a good target.
You can cherry pick any time you want. The tool is in your hands, to use as you see fit.
There are no set and fast rules as to what you can or cannot to, when or where or even why.
If your driven crazy by constant junk, go to custom mode and notch out everything excpet pennies, dimes and quarters. Maybe nickels, but then some foil and bottlecaps will still be in play.
This will cut down on a large portion of junk signals [and also all but eliminate the chances of finding gold/jewelry].
I wouldn't recommend doing this often ... Its just an option to consider.
I find that the preset coin/jewelry modes work fairly well, but I do go crazy on notching on custom mode on occasion in trashy areas, or when I'm in a hurry and just want a quich chance of silver without sorting through the myriad of signals.
Keep in mind that a majority of the sites most of us choose to hunt have very likely been hunted before, and the pickins may simply be slim. Thats why its important not to get frustrated when you hit a site your sure will yield goodies, yet turn up dry.
Good sites are out there, 1,000's of them, and its a matter of patience, research and luck finding them.
I have been lucky enough to stumble upon a few obvious virgin sites with high yields, and finding one of these makes up for dozens of previous fruitless searches.

As far as sensitivity, run it as high as you can without the machine going flaky.
If your more into hunting solitary coins than anything else, master the pinpoint.
That right there will 90% of the time tell you at least if you are dealing with a coin sized object, for if the pinpoint drags on half a foot or more, you know you are not dealing with a coin, at least a single coin.
Another way to tell if you are dealing with a coin sized object is, when getting a decent, repeatable signal, lift the coil off the ground a few inches.
If it still dings like mad, either the coin is right on the surface, or [more likely] it is a much larger and denser metal object than a coin.
Might it still be something good ? A cache ? A stack of coins ? Old watch ?
Maybe, but not a coin. Here, the old dilema " to dig or not to dig" rears its ugly but decidedly intriguing head.
Also, if you don't have a handheld pinpointer, get one.

I REALLY appreciate all the information...do you think it could be from a civil war era horse or just modern day? It just looks very old...and is from a civil war campground so hopefully it's from the time era...maybe not though?? How do I eliminate everything and make it to just 5 10 or 25C like you said? Is there an easy way to go in and do that? Thanks again your a BIG help!!

I looked on ebay...looks to be a horse bit to a civil war era horse! I guess I find something that has some sort of value to it?

Easy way ? Sure.
Go to custom mode, and using the "Discrim" button to toggle, reject and add things as you please with the "Elim" button.
You can actually do this in any mode, but only in custom will the settings be saved after you turn off power.

You've gotten some great advice here all ready, but I'm going to add my two cents to it anyhow, lol!

I typical use my ACE250 in Jewelry mode, and if the aluminum trash level is high, I just notch out (elim) everything to the left of nickel, which is just enough to eliminate the foil, and most of the aluminum, while still registering nickels, and hopefully, most gold. People will doubt me, but it even seems to work well on saltwater beaches to counter falsing from wet salt sand.

As for sensitivity, if you crank it way up, you're going to get hits on every miniscule piece of iron trash, aluminum foil, and possibly even false signaling from ground mineralization, which will drive you nuts. I never turn the sensitivity higher than 6 bars, and usually keep it to 4 or 5 max.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Back
Top Bottom